Search Unity

Chinese Unity Forums

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eric2241, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Eric2241

Eric2241

Are there any Chinese Unity forums? Specifically, I'm looking for a place to advertise my Unity asset to the Chinese market.

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

I don't expect so. Otherwise Unity would need run forum for each language. Quite of commitment. And assets partitioning.

3. Eric2241

Eric2241

What I mean by that is are there any 3rd party forums? Where do Chinese devs go to find assets/talk about them?

4. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Actually...

Ony, Joe-Censored and Antypodish like this.
  5. Well, the "Go to Forums" button is going to the Unity Connect discovery page. :D
    In English.

Kiwasi likes this.
  6. Ryiah

Ryiah

And the link on the second bar at the top of that page is just going to these forums. :p

7. Antypodish

Antypodish

Well is good to know.
    But still, main part of community references are in English. As well as learn section and (most/all?) videos.
    It appears to me, the only part in Chinese is, the promotional part, to get people interested. I may be wrong tho?

Either way, maybe some Chinese Reddit / discord etc?

What about arabic, greek, russian pages (other than google auto translate)? :)
    Edit: Russian https://unity3d.com/ru/community

8. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

You should see what happens if you go to the Unity Connect discovery page from an IP in China ;)

9. Ouch. I haven't assumed that level of amateurism from Unity. Even after all of these web-fiascoes.

Kiwasi and Antypodish like this.
  10. Antypodish

Antypodish

I think I had already my opinion (somewhere) on the "childish" Unity web design in general :)

11. Ryiah

Ryiah

Wouldn't surprise me if this had something to do with the way China treats the Internet.

12. Antypodish

Antypodish

Would that include cases, where Chinese readers can not read own language forums, outside China?
    I would never thought, I would need Chinese VPN, if I am abroad, if I were Chinese reader :)

Assuming such forums are hosted in China?
    And probably similar applies to Russia?

13. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'm primarily thinking of their firewall and other ways that they try to restrict the flow of info in a way that benefits them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Firewall

Antypodish likes this.
  14. Well, IDK. It is certainly possible, but one thing is for sure. Blocking information/language service for the world except for one region is not the best thing you can do. (Obviously I'm not familiar with the Chinese government's rules and regulations)

Antypodish likes this.
  15. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Wait, you are telling me Unity’s marketing department is trying to pull a bait and switch?

That’s not like them. ;)

16. Antypodish

Antypodish

Well, seeing high tech GDC showcases on one hand, and UI choices on other hand, I am a bit confused now, who they really target at. :)

It is hard to say more however, if some stuff are locked behind Great Firewall :p

17. hongwaixuexi

hongwaixuexi

18. Antypodish

Antypodish

Just PR marketting page.
    Still no access to community forum in discussed language.
    But thx.

19. hongwaixuexi

hongwaixuexi

Ryiah and Antypodish like this.
  20. Antypodish

Antypodish

Yeah, I expect there will be numerous unofficial forums / communities in each of languages.

21. hongwaixuexi

hongwaixuexi

In fact, there are some useful forum for Chinese indie developers.

国游销量(sales of games made by Chinese)
    https://tieba.baidu.com/f?kw=国游销量&ie=utf-8&pn=0
    This forum is about sales of games made by Chinese indies or companies. In recent years, China Government is trying to limit the culture power from west, so national culture is encouraged. Made by Chinese is a big selling point nowadays in China.
    Matthew's effect plays a big role for these games. If the quality is above average, these games will get better sales than other average quality games made by other people.If
    In China, big game companies don't make single player game, because the revenue is very small compared to multiplayer game. So indies are the main force to make single player game.

独立游戏 (indie games)
    https://tieba.baidu.com/f?kw=独立游戏&ie=utf-8&pn=0
    The is forum is for indies discussion. But most of them want to find team members or other support.