Search Unity

Chinese House

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by cod3ophis, Jan 9, 2012.

1. cod3ophis

cod3ophis

Hello again guys!

This time I am showing one house I have made today for a project I am doing with some friends:

new:

Is there any thing that could be changed? Need suggestions!

Thanks,
    João Alves

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  2. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Needs more wood variation, very blah atm, add small colorful details too, maybe a chinese lantern or give the roof edges a red trim. ;)

3. cod3ophis

cod3ophis

Working on it, thanks! ;)

4. cod3ophis

cod3ophis

Added new picture :)

5. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

based on the modeled roof tiles I think the textured ones should be smaller. Other than that, maybe the thicker columns could be darker or something like that. What view will it be seen from, that's important to consider.

6. Kokumo

Kokumo

7. Acumen

Acumen

I think the polygon details are not balanced out.
    The roof shingles have one flat polygon, yet you have tons and tons of modeled out details above that and on the door segments.
    So if you're askin for proposed changes, first comes the distribution of your details/polygons. There's much room for improvement there :)

8. cod3ophis

cod3ophis

Hello!

Thanks for every advice! I will do better next time (this is my first house attempt, I am still very newbie in 3d modeling but this is my second love, gotta learn!)

Again, thanks,
    João Alves

9. Acumen

Acumen

I always sound so harsh :D
    Great attempt and hope you share your progress on the forums as you move along !
    Best skill you already learned is to listen to crits and not get offended :D
    Good luck !

10. brown2na

brown2na

I keep looking at the wire-frame and the green on that I love, incorporate that green into the house texture as a detail and it will rock imo :p

11. cod3ophis

cod3ophis

No problem! I am here to learn! :)

Ahahaha, that would make some serious noise over the chinese community (disco chinese house) :)
    Some neons would be perfect too ehehehe.

Cumps!

12. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

New one is looking way better. :) If you want all those modelled out details on your texture so you can save poly's, do an AO bake.

13. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

wow very good. Reminds me of Tenchu.
    Just add a couple of those nice colorful Chinese trees and it would be the perfect scene. :)

14. cod3ophis

cod3ophis

Thanks guys.

I will show you soon more projects!

15. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

I recommend more research. The roof tiles are wrong. Google for Wuzhen or Xitang, or look at this reference below:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2262/5799066908_f3760acd91.jpg

The key feature is that tiles are stacked in vertically running lines, with the gap between each row ending in an ornate circle. This is common to nearly every "old" roof I've seen.

While the use of wood in construction was extensive, and where buildings start to share a visual look similar to those in Japan, it should be noted that Chinese wood panels have their own distinct geometric style, especially in the place where you would now find windows:

http://rglongpre.ca/jungianlens/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/DSC06365-700x694.jpg

http://www.robhuntley.ca/Other-Countries/China/Wuzhen/DSC439345-Edit/1065357142_gRWRH-L.jpg

I'd also have to check the roof corners and end bits, and I may be wrong here, but these look more Japanese style than Chinese.

If you introduce brickwork, Chinese bricks are nearly always long and thin:
    http://www.robhuntley.ca/Other-Countries/China/Wuzhen/20100705-DSC4456-Edit/1079944393_dDpwe-L.jpg

I'll caveat this post by saying that I'm not Chinese, I'm an ex-pat, but I have lived in China for 2 years and travelled quite a bit including classical Japan.

16. David5988

David5988

That's because the house is japanese.

17. cod3ophis

cod3ophis

Man, great help! Thanks a lot.

And yes, the house was inspired in a Japonese House, my bad there :)