Search Unity

China's localized Unity Hub for a better local experiences

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by RichardYang-at-Unity3D, Oct 16, 2019.

1. jennal

jennal

Although I am a Chinese and live in China, I just don't want a special version that is quite different to the global version. Chinese version is meaningless to me. I just want to use global version, I think we users have right to choose what we need.

ZenTeapot and LittleNiu like this.
  2. ZenTeapot

ZenTeapot

For the love of god can we please just get an option that says "Global vs China" and let us pick? if unity doesn't mind the already excessive resources that went into making the Chinese localized version, which is such a waste and could have been put into fixing unity bugs, I'm sure Unity won't mind just add a simple option? Unless there is strong behind-the-scene incentive to turn the Chinese version into some sort of localized business model that nobody will like?

Right now I'm having problems to just download the Apple silicon version of the editor from UnityHub, because previously the only way I could avoid the Chinese version is to go to the LTS archive and click unity hub to download, which apparently doesn't let me choose Apple Silicon vs Intel version of the editor. Just layers of chaos!

And though the motivation might be benign, the localized initiative has never been a good experience, ever. How ironic. 谢谢您.

Favo-Yang likes this.
  3. liyong79623

liyong79623

good bye unity. I will turn to unreal in next game.

4. grumgrum

grumgrum

Is this account bound? Since flying out of China, my new project packages are still downloaded from packages.unity.cn (package-lock.json). I've tried reinstalling the hub and a few installers but it really ***s up some of the dependencies I am trying to get even with official ones like MARS. Now I'm missing a few here and there in packages.

Edit: Wipe the hub and your editors, reinstall editors when you get the global version of the hub.

5. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Over this? Lol, you are aware a chinese company (Tencent) owns 40% of Unreals developer, Epic, right?
    At least Unity had full disclosure over what they are doing in this regard.

6. ZenTeapot

ZenTeapot

No it's not about Unity or what being a Chinese company or not. It's about Unity intentionally providing differentiated service that's of lower quality through their Chinese company, messed it up by not even having their global editor recognize the local version number, while forcing everybody to eat it up. It's not about China, it's about the service quality parity.

7. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Would tend to believe there are law-related reasons for that "lower quality of service". They surely haven't made this separation for fun. It required effort and cost.
    It is common that western companies have to treat chinese customers different. Just like europeans sometimes too (data prptection laws in that case).

8. ZenTeapot

ZenTeapot

It is obvioulsy not the case, since i actually live in this case.

9. AloofWasTaken

AloofWasTaken

Unity should have given an opportunity for Chinese users to use the global version of Unity Hub, as restricting the personal choice of users isn't a good choice. People have different views of a problem, and the difference could cause some difficulties. Although it could be helpful for Chinese game devs, IP address tracking is really off-putting for many who desire the global version. Thanks for reviewing this message.

Favo-Yang likes this.
  10. Jshh

Jshh

Request for clarity- if I log into the Unity site from a China IP and accept the China TOS, then I log in from an IP outside of China, will I still be bound by the China TOS? Would my data still be subject to China law? Is there a method for 'un-accepting' the TOS when I'm not in China?

There are times (eg. during local sales) it would be useful to access the China version, but I don't want to permanently promise my data to the Chinese government, obviously.

It's not very clear to me at the moment, so I'm erring on the side of caution- which means not accepting the China TOS and only connecting to Unity services via international IPs, and I only use the international Hub etc.

Would you mind explaining exactly how the separation functions? What is the process for associating an account with China, and for disassociating it? And if an account is dis/associated with China/not-China, what happens to previous user agreements with TOS etc?

11. dragonalumni

dragonalumni

12. gbstack

gbstack

Another annoying thing is Unity will treat same version number of global version and China version as different version. e.g. when I open a project which is version 2022.2.3f1 to Unity Editor 2022.2.3f1c1, it will complain it's different version and asking me to reimport project and change project version.
    If the China version difference is only what you mentioned, why need a reimport for global version project?