Search Unity

China's localized Unity Hub for a better local experiences

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by RichardYang-at-Unity3D, Oct 16, 2019.

1. RichardYang-at-Unity3D

RichardYang-at-Unity3D

Unity Technologies

Just read a thread about China's localized Unity Hub here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/uni...a-secret-chinese-version-of-unity-hub.759650/

In order to address people's concerns about being "a victim of a secret Chinese version of Unity Hub", I want to share the details of this localized Unity Hub for China users although it is not a secret at all for almost all the China developers in China since China Unity has already officially announced it back in May 2019 through China Unity's official Wechat channel as well as other local medias, right after Unite Shanghai 2019. You can check out the announcement here: https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/0N4kRoqMe0pzmCQQoMwFjg (in Chinese language).

As @AdamLiu pointed out correctly, when you download Unity Hub, China users will download the localized version of Unity Hub and anyone outside of China will download the "Global" version of Unity Hub. Of course, developers are free to install the "Global" version of Unity Hub which they can download from unity.com website if they are not on a China IP address.

However, the localized Chinese version of Unity Hub will not make you "a victim of a secret Chinese version of Unity Hub" since the differences between this localized version and the "Global" version can be summarized as follows:

1. Chinese version of Unity Hub has a "Community" tab where you can get all the latest technical articles, live sessions announcement and links to watch the recorded live sessions (live sessions are being delivered every two weeks by China Unity evangelism team) as well as Asset Store promotions. You can also check out when your Plus or Pro licenses are going to expire and links are available for extending the expired/soon to be expired subscriptions or upgrading to Plus or Pro from PE license directly through our online store.

(Screenshot captured at 16th of October 2019: China Unity team update the contents very frequently for our local developer communities)
    upload_2019-10-16_8-45-5.png
    2. On the "Install" tab where you can install Unity editors, China Unity team now provides a section called "Latest official releases (China)". These builds are made by China Unity's enterprise support team who directly supports our customers. These builds are based on the global LTS versions starting from 2017.4.32f1 and 2018.4.8f1 and on top of the global versions, we added and will continue to add features for local Chinese developers.

Notes:
    (1) 2018.4.8c3 is based on 2018.4.8f1, same with 2017.4. Therefore, you can think of these builds like this:
    2018.4.8c3 = 2018.4.8f1 + China features
    2017.4.32c2 = 2017.4.32f1 + China features

(2) All the other released builds under "Latest official releases" and beta alpha sections are the same as the Global version of Unity Hub.
    upload_2019-10-16_8-27-42.png

You may ask why these features not go directly to the global versions of Unity editor. The reason is these features were originally made for the local China market and they may not be suitable for global market. Of course, these features may eventually land on the global versions. But since the China market is evolving very rapidly and China developers want very short iteration time, creating a China Unity Editor (China Unity Editor = Global version + China features) will help to address this tight iteration time problem since it is maintained and go through the same global QA standards by the local China Unity team. You can check out the China Unity Editor announcement here: https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/Fpxga3s0nybomJGEYn9UrQ (in Chinese)

3. If you are using Chinese version of Unity Hub, when downloading Unity editor installation files, you will get the files from local China CDN and you will get much faster download speed if you are living in China. Of course, if you live outside of China, global version of Unity Hub is recommended.

So as you can see, the Chinese version of Unity Hub is a localized version with rich community contents and local features made specifically for China developers in order to help them to learn Unity better to use Unity better.

Thanks for reading!

Mauri likes this.
  2. AdamLiu

AdamLiu

Using the word "Victim" might seem a bit over-exaggerated, but it's not far from the truth.

Yes, the Chinese version of Unity Hub might already be announced, but whether there is a Chinese version is not the point. I'm perfectly fine with a Chinese version even though I don't use it. The point is: by detecting the IP address when downloading the Hub, you are literally forcing every user in China to use the Chinese version of the Hub unless they have a non-China IP address. There is no option for user in China to choose which version they would like to use. Also, the two versions look almost identical, even the Chinese version displays an English UI, which is very misleading.

I'm kinda glad that Unity clarifies in this post that there IS actually a Chinese version, but I hope Unity can at least give the user in China an option to use the global version, instead of arbitrarily assuming that all Chinese developers like to use the "China version".

Now about the download speed, it is simply not true that the Chinese version have better download speed. I use the global version of Unity Hub and the download speed is still extremely fast (in my case, 40MB/s, installs Unity in less than 5 minutes) even I'm in China. Also, it takes way longer for the latest Unity version to appear in the China version of the Hub after it's announced in Unity's website. And if you happen to have a VPN, which a lot of my fellow developers use, you simply cannot use the Hub when the VPN is on, because it only connects to the servers in China. So my recommendation is to Not use the Chinese version of Unity Hub unless the company or studio you are working in requires you to do so. The global version is much better.

3. transat

transat

Thanks for clarifying. @RichardYang-at-Unity3D does the China-only Hub also apply to Hong Kong based developers? And does this version also require access to user keystrokes from other applications? I think further reassurances wouldn't hurt. ;-)

Also, I'm curious though as to why other countries don't also have their own version of the hub, for faster downloads? And who was it at Unity that thought the rest of the world would not want a community tab in the Hub? I've seen more than one request for just that in these forums. :-/

Abrakidabra likes this.
  4. banjen

banjen

After opening Unity Hub when visiting China, it has force updated itself to the Chinese version of Unity Hub and I'm not sure how I can change back while I am here and avoid it happening again? I don't want this. It seems like it doesn't have access to the newest editor versions either. @AdamLiu Are you getting international Unity Hub changing itself to the Chinese version automatically too? @RichardYang-at-Unity3D Is there a solution here? Help appreciated since this seems ridiculous honestly.

Abrakidabra and Joe-Censored like this.
  5. AdamLiu

AdamLiu

No, my Unity Hub isn't changing itself to the Chinese version. Your best bet would be using a VPN and redownload the Hub from Unity's global website, and only update the Hub while your VPN is on.

6. banjen

banjen

No worries, I'll check it out. Thanks for your help and raising some awareness on this issue.

7. Dragon-Magic-Studio

Dragon-Magic-Studio

Im living in China and i dont read chinese.
    IP based autmation sucks and not giving a backup solution for the devs who have even a subscription like me for unity is very unprofessional.
    Seems unity just has the "extra features" backdoors and other gov malware in it as China versions have alot of those extra features due to no privacy rights.
    Paying customers have the right to get the version they deserve and not the one the IP gives you.
    Very disappointing move UNITY.

8. umiringo73

umiringo73

Not all developer lives in China is Chinese and needs Chinese version.
    Why not give developer the right of choosing?!
    I think "victim" is a accurate word.

9. Abrakidabra

Abrakidabra

I started my project using the global version, then moved to china.

While working in china I made an upgrade, without knowing about chinese versions. Sneaky Unity somehow made sure i got the chinese version (despite always being connected to a VPN) which ruined my project. I could not build my game, but was not sure of the reason why. I have spent the last 2 days removing and re installing unity versions trying to fix this problem.

After wiping my whole laptop and reinstalling windows ( since the chinese verison had done something so that I could no longer install any more versions), I downloaded unity again and Sneaky Unity this time made sure I had the crappy chinese hub too. I still had no idea at this point as there is nothing that tells you you are downloading a chinese version.

The crappy chinese hub;

1. does not load the sign in if you are connected to a VPN. This took me many hours to figure out and it just shown a blank screen.

2. FORCES me to add a chinese phone number to my account! I cannot log in or get past this screen.

3. Someone says it records our keystrokes?? Why? How can we be sure this data isnt being sent to the CCP?

No matter what I try, unity makes sure I can only download the crappy chinese version so I cant get round this.

There MUST be a way to download the normal functioning version of unity.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  10. AdamLiu

AdamLiu

As a Chinese, I don't think this has anything to do with CCP. Unity requires the permission to record the keyboard and screen only on Macs with OS X Catalina or later, because starting from Catalina third party apps that require certain keyboard-related accessbility features must ask for users permission explicitly.

Anyway, I can feel the pain, mate ---- you have experienced what I experienced back then. To get rid of the Chinese version, you can try the following steps:
    1. Uninstall Unity and Unity hub, just regular uninstall should be enough.
    2. Make sure you connect your VPN and make sure the selected VPN server is not inside China (by checking your IP address if necessary).
    3. Download and install the Unity Hub from the global site of Unity. (It should be https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download)
    4. Launch the Hub, and confirm that you have installed the global version of the Hub. (The Chinese version has a Community tab that has content displayed in Chinese, but I might be wrong. It also has several "Special for Chinese" versions in the add Unity version list. The global version at the moment has a Community tab as well but shoud be displayed in English and a "Beta" note. Now this one is Unity's fault that you cannot distinguish the Global or Chinese version easily).
    5. Now download Unity from the Hub. It should give you the global versions of Unity.
    If the above steps doesnot work, try downloading the full installation disk image from Unity's global site.
    Hope it helps.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Abrakidabra likes this.
  11. Abrakidabra

Abrakidabra

Thanks for your reply, I tried most of those steps but the unity site sees through the VPN somehow?They are really making sure than the global version is not available to people in china!

12. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

I'll move this over to the Hub forum as they'll be interested to know the feedback regarding this.

13. gengen_1988

gengen_1988

The experience of Chinese is very awful. It doesn't download the latest version of Unity editor, and push you Chinese ad.

Please give user choice.

14. Lasiloper

Lasiloper

Add now it requires my phone number sometime when I running game. I have many bad guesses about this.

JayZuo likes this.
  15. terryYang

terryYang

before unityhub2.3.0, the Chinese 'special' versions were listed on the top, global versions were listed normally, that's good enough, I don't understand why you made such a change
    这就是传说中的“正版受害者”

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  16. Favo-Yang

Favo-Yang

I try to reinstall UnityHub from the global website
    - Uninstall UnityHub
    - Delete ~/AppData/Roaming/UnityHub
    - Downloaded UnityHubSetup from the global website using a non-China IP, the file size is 52886128 bytes and md5 is e92a0981744198c1b5789ff215215bbd
    - Reinstall UnityHub and launch UnityHub
    - Check ~/AppData/Roaming/UnityHub/cloudConfig.json, the file still point to China server

Am I doing anything wrong?

17. yomunsam

yomunsam

At present, when downloading the new Unity, there are no options or tips directly, it is the version that is treated differently.

Attached Files:

Abrakidabra likes this.
  18. yomunsam

yomunsam

To be honest, this is already intentionally disgusting

Abrakidabra likes this.
  19. firehot

firehot

20. wang37921

wang37921

Unity but the location

conclean and Abrakidabra like this.
  21. Lasiloper

Lasiloper

I find a alternative way. Just click download archive and choose a edition. Click green unity hub, then you will get latest version. I tested it before but failed so I thought unity blocked this way. It turns out I'm wrong.

22. wang37921

wang37921

We want the optional location version!

23. Strodio

Strodio

Unity: "Ok, we will fix that bug next"

24. Strodio

Strodio

I found that the Unity Hub does not use the system proxy, so even if you have a proxy setting in your system, you still should force the Hub to use your proxy. I already have installed global version of Hub. But the download page is different when I force proxy or not. Maybe the download Page in Hub is a webpage. I don' t know.

But the thing I can be sure of is I may be the victim of genuine software!

25. Personuo

Personuo

I have to re-enter my account password every day, I have to watch the SMS to enter the verification code, I have to update the license manually every day. I feel like I'm a prisoner.

Why license only excute one day?

What did I do wrong?Why are you do that?

Abrakidabra likes this.
  26. finergames

finergames

Thank you, @AdamLiu ! This has slowly been driving me insane, for as long as I can remember. Unity used to "just work" so well, even in China, but slowly over the past few years it's gotten worse and worse. I'd resigned myself to having to constantly back out of QR and WeChat logins hunting for the email login option, Chinese versions of the community tabs, AssetStore purchases that wouldn't work because my VPN was on, Hub licensing that expires daily, etc. Recently however, I went to install a version of 2019.3, and parts of the editor were in Chinese, without me even installing the language pack.

I've had enough, lol.

Please Unity -- for the love of god -- give us an easy way to use the international versions of Hub, the editor, etc. when we are working in the mainland.

EDIT: @RichardYang-at-Unity3D Is there any way to get through the Unity Application Consent Window via email login, without having to link a phone number or scan a QR code? I'm able to get through to the email login form (eventually), but when I submit it the window reloads back to the form requesting a phone number.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Abrakidabra and JayZuo like this.
  27. Abrakidabra

Abrakidabra

My current work around this nonsense is running an old version of unity hub, its glitchy and you need to keep renewing your license and avoiding updates but it works.

28. AdamLiu

AdamLiu

I believe that right now there is only one version of Unity Hub - there isn't a separate "Global" or "Chinese" version anymore. Now it is entirely based on your IP address to decide what you get in the Unity Hub. If you'are using a IP located in China, you will get the Unity versions including the "Chinese Version", otherwise you will not see those versions. This only makes it harder to distinguish whether you are using the "Global list" or the "Chinese list", which matters a lot because the Chinese verison of the Installation list doesn't update to the latest Unity versions in time - it's usually several versions behind. And that, is a complete joke.

29. AdamLiu

AdamLiu

Just use a VPN when lauching the hub will be fine.

30. AndyHan1001

AndyHan1001

Y
    You are not alone. I came across the same issue.

Abrakidabra likes this.
  31. terryYang

terryYang

Unityhub2.3.1 has been released, but the version issue still exists, we need the old style that lastest offical version can be downloaded!

Abrakidabra likes this.
  32. gengen_1988

gengen_1988

upload_2020-6-15_13-21-16.png

Well done, Chinese marketers. I have to watch unrelated AD before doing anything now.

conclean, Abrakidabra and quabug like this.
  33. gengen_1988

gengen_1988

upload_2020-6-15_13-45-57.png
    I have noticed the same version (without c!) in Chinese Hub is different with international version. Which brings chaos to team collaborations.

Abrakidabra and Mathieu-Philippe like this.
  34. gengen_1988

gengen_1988

upload_2020-6-16_14-51-59.png

Now they bring up this popup EVERY TIME I entered the play mode. Unity is becoming an adware sadly. They treat creators as casual consumers. Considering switch to godot.

conclean, Abrakidabra and quabug like this.
  35. 17windy

17windy

The Unity Shanghai is making Unity Great Again,just like the ‘King of Omniscience’.

At least, remove the ADs.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  36. CoolCat518

CoolCat518

We don't need the unity China Special Edition, we need the unity International Sync Edition.

quabug, Abrakidabra, JayZuo and 4 others like this.
  37. Abrakidabra

Abrakidabra

Still no comment on this from Unity? We NEED a way to download the global version.

38. JayZuo

JayZuo

We NEED a way to download the global version.

Abrakidabra likes this.
  39. gengen_1988

gengen_1988

These tips are my workarounds for now:

1. Download global version of Unity Hub with VPN. Be sure hiding your DNS

2. Do not upgrade in global Unity Hub. It will bring you latest Chinese Unity Hub, which contains ads
    upload_2020-7-31_13-35-20.png

3. To prevent global Unity Hub downloading Unity Editor with Chinese registry, you may use direct link in release note page
    upload_2020-7-31_13-49-23.png

Abrakidabra and JayZuo like this.
  40. unity_8spEQINWrrHNfQ

unity_8spEQINWrrHNfQ

Fun story: I first downloaded unity hub in Europe. Then I spent 6 month in Vietnam, updated unity hub (unknowingly to the Chinese version) and went back to Europe. Now I am stuck with the Chinese version while I never put a feet in China proper... I tried reinstalling everything a few times, but I still end up with the Chinese version. I cannot download the latest versions of the editor (as accessing the servers in China is a mess from Europe) and collaborating on projects is now a mess. I feel like I am flagged somewhere as a Chinese user. I wish there was an easy way to revert back to be a global user.

Abrakidabra and suiboli like this.
  41. transat

transat

That sounds super worrying. You should report this to security journalists at Ars Technica or the Intercept if you don’t get a satisfactory answer back from Unity soon.

Abrakidabra likes this.
  42. JayZuo

JayZuo

Unity Hub version 2.3.2 is the key point. I'm able to get this global version from https://public-cdn.cloud.unity3d.com/hub/prod/UnityHubSetup.exe now. Not sure why, I was always getting the Chinese version 2.3.8 from the same link even I'm from Singapore. Thanks for your help.

Abrakidabra likes this.
  43. GilbertLau

GilbertLau

I want to ask if Hong Kong IP address will download China version of Unity Hub and Unity itself?

44. suiboli

suiboli

To determine your location, in most cases website uses ip range. So if your internet provider(ISP) picks Hong Kong ip for you, you will get the global hub in return. Barely heard that Hong Kong ISPs hand out mainland china ips.
    But heard about some Vietnamese ISP once purchases services from mainland... This may be the reason for the
    ---
    9.9.20 yesterday, unity hub 2.4.0 official releases, to some extent. For the user currently located in mainland, they only get the prompts about 2.3.11, which was released days ago. This is no good.

45. DavidELittle

DavidELittle

Having some people use the Global version and some use the Chinese version makes it really annoying with version control as certain files constantly get changed depending on if the Chinese or the Global version is in the repository.

packages-lock.json
    packagesurl.png

ProjectVersion.txt (others have mentioned this)
    projectversion.png

I'm fairly sure this one is related too as I can't find any documentation on Slogan Image/Slogan Height. If it isn't I would love to know what it is though. As it only seems to be something that is added from the Chinese version.
    ProjectSettings.asset
    projectsettings.png

Can I suggest that you make some sort of Chinese only overrides that are only read/modified by the Chinese version if those settings are indeed unique to the Chinese version.

46. RichardYang-at-Unity3D

RichardYang-at-Unity3D

Unity Technologies

Thanks for your suggestion. Our devs will look into the issues.

47. kg-unity

kg-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi David,

Thanks for reporting the problem. The root cause is that we didn't differentiate version numbers between global version and the responding China version in 2019. For 2020, it won't be a problem. For this particular problem, we are checking if we can update the released China versions with a "c" suffix for the 2019.4 series.

48. fmwangu3d

fmwangu3d

Unity Technologies

hi David,

We fairly understand your pain on it.

In near future, the next version of Chinese Editor, we will use a Chinese specific version number to distinguish it from global version. After that, when people using Chinese version or Global version to open the same unity project, a reimporting will be required. The project settings can be refreshed.

Do you think it could be helpful?

Thanks for your reporting. Please feel free to let us know your thoughts on it.

Favo-Yang likes this.
  49. DavidELittle

DavidELittle

Maybe I'm miss understanding, but wouldn't that mean it's the same problem but just more obvious to see that it's actually a different version?

Once again I might be not understanding the solution but I think the problem will remain.

The problem is not that I want the project to reimport and be different, I just want the differences in the unity versions to be self contained so that if it only exists in the Chinese version that the Global version doesn't even know it exists. So for the ProjectSettings.asset for example. There would be a ProjectSettings_Chinese.asset that contains all the project settings that are specific to the Chinese version. For the ProjectVersion.txt you could do the same thing and have a ProjectVersion_Chinese.txt. That way version control won't get messed up when some members of our team us the Global version and some members use the Chinese version. Obviously you would want to make sure the base version matches between Global and Chinese, but as it stands it's just a bunch of modified files that's just useless noise when trying to find what has actually changed.

50. DavidELittle

DavidELittle

Just to give an update.

Now on 2019.4.15 it has all the same issues but you can tell that some people are using the Chinese version 2019.4.15f1c1 and some people the Global version 2019.4.15f1.
    ProjectVersion.png

So my assumption was right about nothing really being different, it's just more clear as to what the problem is (if you know that c1 at the end of a version means Chinese version).

What I really want is for people to be working on both the Global and Chinese version at the same time and all of the files that need to be in source control SHOULD BE THE SAME. If something is specific to the Chinese version, put it in it's own Chinese specific file. To me it seems like the Chinese features should be a package, it would get rid of nearly all these issues.