Search Unity

Childish i know... :O)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by taumel, Oct 31, 2006.

1. taumel

taumel

Not much time at the moment but i have seen this on the director-list and invested some minutes to do it in unity...

dir: http://staff.funnygarbage.com/colin/meshy.html

With 10k faces.

Controls:
    Arrow keys

uni: http://spielwiese.marune.de/_uni/nemu/netz.html

Over 10k triangles with additive blending at 800x600 with 2xAA - fullscreen res is 1024x768.

Controls:
    Move mouse to rotate.
    Scroll the mousewheel to zoom in/out.
    N turns aNimations for all vertices on/off.
    M turns Motionblur on/off.

Don't take this serious... ;O)

taumel

2. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

... first thing I noticed was that, because I've got an Intel based iMac, I'm not able to view the Shockwave version.

What was the purpose of this demo? Just curious.

3. taumel

taumel

Just a performance/image quality test...

4. AaronC

AaronC

I figured out u can use scroll on the red one, looks cool, I get 35 fpsish on a g4 733mhtz with 128 Radeon9800 Pro

Looks cool, would be good to animate individual textures, u could make a flock of seagulls
    AC

5. AGhost

AGhost

I get 13-15 FPS on my Radeon 7500 eMac.
    Looks interesting!

6. VeganApps

VeganApps

Fieee! Shockwave! :?
    It crashed IE 7(^^) twice...

-Nice Unity solution. No crashes at all .)

7. taumel

taumel

Hey i'm not responsible for the shockwave version! :O) But yes the current plugin has some problems with certain browser... :O/

Another quick tryout is this. Very easy but i like the artifacts/colours it's leaving...

http://spielwiese.marune.de/_uni/_nemu/mudge.html

Good night,

taumel

PS: Judge Dreed?

8. hsparra

hsparra

Nice demo :) On my 1.25 Ghz Powerbook I get 50 fps normal and about 21 fps with aNimation turned on. I couldn't scroll in and out since I didn't have a scroll wheel :p

You do some interestint stuff.

9. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Am I the only one using tabs in Safari? When I leave the Director Shockwave version running in a tab, it keeps running (spending CPU) and it shows up on top of the contents of any other tab.

Incredibly annoying. Of course that doesn't happen to the Unity one (though I remember when we had that problem before the plugin was released.)

d.

10. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

I forgot to mention: really cool stuff. Do you have a link to that Director board?

d.

11. VeganApps

VeganApps

Yeah... The movie is pretty crappy but with a ABC-Warrobot on my side I would definitely feel saver in this brutal world... :D

:wink:

Nice job.

12. taumel

taumel

@all
    Thanks! :O)

@David
    You're not reading these boards already...tststs ;O)

http://nuttybar.drama.uga.edu/

Regarding the quality of shockwave. Well, that's one of the problems that there does not exist an up to date usb shockwave player for the mac world. Anyway this is only a real problem for the mac guys but it isn't such a big deal for selling stuff as most of the client work is windows.

It comes down to what Adobe is able to deliver next year with their director update. As i said before quite some developers will wait for this update and make their decision then.

Regards,

taumel

13. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

taumel: your test here (macbook pro) 50 fps windowed (120-150 fps fullscreen) with no animations, somewhat less (40-50 fps windowed) with animations. I guess the hit is not the animations, but the increased overdraw, as in animation mode the triangles are much larger. Shockwave - does not work here of course.

14. taumel

taumel

Yes i know. It's the overdraw but it looked less interesting when i took a smaller size and as unity got the muscles and it even worked quite well on my mini...why not increase the amplitude?! :O)

The only thing which bugs me is the time needed for the initialisation...

15. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Initialization time: maybe your script is just not written in the most optimal way? :)

16. taumel

taumel

Well, as written it was a quick thing but i will have to look into it again as i even used your fixed Array types...

17. taumel

taumel

18. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Cool test.
    Had 30fps on a MacBook Pro, zoomed out with both effects on. 15fps when zoomed in.

19. littlelingo

littlelingo

FYI, the shockwave plugin is not Intel friendly but should run in Rosetta. Of course, it is a hassle to run in that mode.

HTH,

-- Clint

BTW, cool stuff Taumel!

20. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Last time we tried to install the Shockwave plugin on an Intel Macs, not only did it not work, but it also ruined the installed Flash plugin. That's a few months ago though. I've had to support friends with that too.

And the tab-problem I described earlier happened on a PowerBook.

d.

21. taumel

taumel

I don't know how things are handeled at Adobe these days and if they have the player dev seperated from the ide but i suspect that beside of minor updates you will have to wait till the director update shows up for real improvements on this issue. Till then it works on ppc but the rest is well...no rude words here...

22. polytropoi

polytropoi

Where will Unity be next year? Director's 3D capabilities are very far behind Unity's in every way, not just rendering power and shaders, as your demo comparison illustrates, but the workflow for 3D content in Director is like poking yourself in the eye with a sharp stick. I've used Director on large projects before, and it's great for 2D stuff, but anybody who is waiting for Director to provide a comparable 3D experience may have to wait a long time; perhaps forever. I will say that I hope Unity's animation keyframer evolves into something resembling the Director timeline - it would be cool to drag and drop objects onto specific frames in Unity.

Comparing Unity to Flash is more interesting to me - I think Unity will do for 3D what Flash did for 2D, create a new market for interactive content, and change the common conception of what a web page can be. When the Unity runtime can talk to client javascript (Joe says v 1.6) and Unity can work in tandem w/ Ajax widgets and CSS tricks...the mind reels at the possibilities.

A more serious competitor next year will be the XNA thing - Microsoft will eventually have an environment that "works", looks great (on Windows/Xbox) and is somewhat indie-friendly, and they'll pour lots of resources into community building and stuff. They'll also create a browser runtime for XNA content, mark my words. But it will take a while, perhaps years, for them to match Unity's usability, and meanwhile it continues to improve rapidly.

It will be interesting to see what Adobe comes up with for 3D development - they tried and failed to reproduce a Flash-like application, remember. Had to buy Macromedia, instead. As I say, I doubt that they'll be able to bolt on workable 3D capability to Director. If I were a suit at Adobe right now, I'd be looking at OTEE like a hungry wolf looks at a little bunny rabbit (i.e. http://valuebring.com/cracknology ). Let's hope our heros avoid such temptations!

23. taumel

taumel

Well, MM also wasn't able to do the 3d part.

If someone would buyout otee than this could be great for the otee members but not good for all the users who invested a lot of time into the product. Would be another "I've learned my lesson" thing which i hope won't happen!

24. taumel

taumel

25. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Your Unity one looks a lot nicer ;)

26. taumel

taumel

Okay a last one... :O)

Altered some parameters and uploaded a version with 20k triangles, glow filter on and added auto rotation (toggle on/off by pressing "b").

http://spielwiese.marune.de/_uni/_tmp/netz2.html

Regards,

taumel

This is the end beautiful friend...

27. sr

sr

guys, check this out (if you don't know it already):
    this guy here did a pretty cool online multiplayer/bot FPS with shockwave3d. rather low poly and image quality isn't that great, but then again, it's just a web player. very fun to play. and i think the sounds are really good, too.

someone should tell this guy about unity!

http://www1.rasterwerks.com/game/phosphor/beta1.asp
    (thanks to hr@conspirat for the link)

28. taumel

taumel

It's not about that this/these guys don't know about unity. It's about wanting to change to unity. Beside of any arguments about ups and downs of different apps or financial issues how easily would you like to give up work you have highly optimized over the years and a tool which you love and you're used to so much where you almost know the cycle times for each command?

29. taumel

taumel