Search Unity

Child transform's position not updated as parent moves

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by MiaoBolverk, Apr 12, 2018.

1. MiaoBolverk

MiaoBolverk

I have a parent game object Object1. It has a child, which is simply an empty game object called ReferencePoint. ReferencePoint can be any arbitrary point on Object1 itself.

I have another game object Object2. It has a public field called RotationReference, of type Transform. In the inspector, the ReferencePoint on Object1 is assigned to the RotationReference field on Object2.

As Object1 moves, I expect ReferencePoint to change its position as well. Object2 is supposed to change its rotation to face its RotationReference -- in this case, the ReferencePoint on Object1:

Code (csharp):
    2.     public override void Rotate()
    3.     {
    4.         Vector3 relativeRotationReferencePosition =
    5.             this.RotationReference.position - this.transform.position;
    7.         this.transform.rotation = Quaternion.LookRotation(relativeRotationReferencePosition);
    8.     }
    However, I noticed that Object2 is not rotating at all, even when Object1 is moving. When I step through the call stack multiple times, I discover that this.RotationReference.position always has the same value, even though Object1 is moving.

What am I missing here?

2. FMark92

FMark92

How often do you call Rotate()?

3. rakkarage

rakkarage

4. tonemcbride

tonemcbride

That looks like it would work to me, might be worth changing 'RotationReference' to a gameObject and using RotationReference.transform just to make sure it's definitely getting the right values.

If you want to upload a basic scene with the problem visible I can have a look.