Search Unity

Bug Child selector don't work properly

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by eizenhorn, Nov 23, 2022.

1. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Unity 2021.3 LTS

Style:
    upload_2022-11-23_9-53-9.png

Layout
    upload_2022-11-23_9-54-20.png

upload_2022-11-23_9-55-19.png

As you can see red background properly applies to direct child
    .unity-toggle
    BUT at the same time it also applies to the all nested
    .unity-toggle
    which is wrong.

Web example:
    As you can see child selector works properly and change size and border color only on direct childs
    .VNLkW 
    of
    .P1usbc 

upload_2022-11-23_10-4-49.png

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  2. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

@uDamian any info about that? Is this fixed in future unity versions, if yes will it be backported to 2021 LTS version?:)

3. dlorre

dlorre

Your other toggle is also matching the accessor:

upload_2022-11-24_14-21-18.png

4. oscarAbraham

oscarAbraham

I think the line is marking the #repeat-preserve-points toggle.

5. oscarAbraham

oscarAbraham

I think I know why it happens. The foldout toggle is affected because it's a direct child of the foldout. The preserve points toggle is affected because it's inside the foldout's content container. Elements in the the content container are meant to be treated as direct children; after all, if you add other elements to the foldout, they will be added to its container as well.

You may be able to solve your problem by using the .unity-foldout__toggle class instead.

6. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

They're matched properly they're foldout toggles and colored properly, this is working properly. The issue is simple toggle (not foldout one) which is not direct child.

7. dlorre

dlorre

Ok, I looked at the question mark. I think that oscarAbraham has explained the problem correctly.

8. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Well, they're childs of
    #unity-content
    in resulting hierarchy as we can see and not direct
    Foldout
    children's, as result it's a definitely bug, because it raises child selector inconsistency, as it start to mix UXML hierarchy childs (where all the Foldout utility wrappers invisible) and final hierarchy (where all Foldout wrappers visible). In the end only final hierarchy should be chosen for USS calculations, as it works in HTML\CSS land.

Yep there is many ways to solve that, that's not a problem, but child hierarchy inconsistency is the problem which needs not be solved on Unity side :)

9. oscarAbraham

oscarAbraham

I don't think that's a bug. The contentContainer doc says that "child elements are added to this element", implying that elements inside it are considered children.

Personally, if it were just for my personal use, I'd prefer that it worked the way you say. It'd give me a bit more control over styles; even though, like you said, there are ways around it.

The thing is, I can see why they would make it the way it is now. I'd probably make it that way myself if I worked at Unity. Their product must work for people that are just making stuff on the builder, that only think about UXML and USS. They shouldn't have to know that a foldout uses a separate content-container internally. The manual page for child selectors even uses UXML for its examples.

Even if you remain convinced that it's a bug, there is nothing that can be done now. Unity can't change how it works because it could break a lot of projects that depend on the current behavior.

10. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Docs doesn't conflict which situation I've described, Children doesn't mean only direct children, 5 level deep childs - still childs :D But I understood your point.

Well builder shows you proper hierarchy you see internal toggle, content container etc :D
    upload_2022-11-24_20-3-8.png

Yep that's the sad thing in all of this :D

oscarAbraham likes this.
  11. oscarAbraham

oscarAbraham

I'd call 5 level deep children "great-great-great-grandchildren".

12. TeorikDeli

TeorikDeli

Yeap, I also think this behaviour is wrong. Selectors (or any rule, because they're rules) should work consistently; even if this will be affect old projects, it should be changed.

13. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Still want to hear anything from UI Toolkit team :) @benoitd_unity maybe? :)

14. ManuelRauber

ManuelRauber

I'm also interested in this, because I think I'm seeing the same issue.

Screenshot 2022-12-01 at 11.17.44.png

I have one USS file for all my custom controls, in there, there's a section like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. .terrain-toolbar-dropdown-button-item-container .unity-scroll-view__content-container {
    2.     flex-direction: row;
    3.     flex-wrap: wrap;
    4. }
    6. .terrain-toolbar-dropdown-button-item-container .unity-scroll-view__content-container > .tile-type-preview-element {
    7.     margin-right: 3px;
    8. }
    1. This is the terrain-toolbar-dropdown-button-item-container.
    2. This is the unity-scroll-view__content-container. In the debugger I can see that the flex-direction and flex-wrap is being applied, so the selector itself works as expected.
    3. This is the tile-type-preview-element. However, those elements are not styled, but they should because they are direct children to the unity-scroll-view__content-container.
    I'm currently trying to figure out, why they are not being styled.

In addition to @oscarAbraham: In my custom control ToolbarDropdownButtonElement I'm overriding its contentContainer and set it to the Unity ScrollView. So when adding elements, i simply use .Add on the ToolbarDropdownButtonElement so those children's logical parent is. the ToolbarDropdownButtonElement, but in the hierarchy they are children of the ScrollView-ContentContainer.

Could that be the issue here?

If so, it's horrible, because as @eizenhorn said, the final hierarchy must decide if selectors are applied or not. Otherwise it's super hard to guess, which is the "correct parent" for an element.
    I was expecting that it works like in HTML/CSS, where the final hierarchy decides about the selectors and not some "logical parenting stuff".

15. ManuelRauber

ManuelRauber

Ok, I just tried it out like @oscarAbraham said.
    I added a class to my ToolbarDropdownButtonElement and updated my USS to this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. .toolbar-dropdown-button-element > .tile-type-preview-element {
    2.     margin-right: 3px;
    3. }
    And... now it works!

This is somewhat super strange, because it really uses the logical relationship and not the final hierarchy for the selectors. This is really not what I'd expect when working with such a system.

In my opinion, I see it like @eizenhorn: It's a bug. :)

In this case, you always need to know what the logical parent is and not the hierarchy that you use in web development. Also, the UI debugger does not show anything about the logical parent relationship.

16. pierre_10

pierre_10

Unity Technologies

Hey guys, can someone log a defect for this? we'll take a look at it as soon as possible. thanks!

17. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Sure. Case number with link to this forum thread: IN-24849

ManuelRauber likes this.
  18. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Does Unity QA actually checked that? Because based on their response - they’re not. If foldout override content container - why USS apply style to foldout first child toggle itself? Isn’t Unty devs just answered that Foldout overrides content container and should apply styles only to that? As result we see it works NOT how it should. It works INCONSISTENT. It works NOT how any developer expects it to work. I’m not even speaking about how any web dev expects it to work, I’ve provided comparison in first post.
    upload_2022-12-8_10-25-31.png

upload_2022-12-8_10-25-44.png

TeorikDeli likes this.
  19. antoine-unity

antoine-unity

Unity Technologies

I will post there the full information given to our QA team.

There is a logical reason why this behaviour occurs with the current implementation of selectors. I understand it looks strange from a user perspective but basically it boils down to this:The ancestor combinator > checks for the "logical" parent of an element (
    element.parent
    ), not the "physical" parent (
    element.hierarchy.parent
    ).

It becomes particularly impractical when specifically a selectors targets an a type of element that is both in the logical and the physical hierarchy of our our controls (for example like a
    Toggle
    with
    .unity-toggle
    being used inside a
    Foldout
    ). The problem is that we can't change this behaviour arbitrarily now. A real solution would be for us to introduce an alternative syntax that allows users to target direct physical children with USS selectors. It's not a trivial thing to add.

The main workaround is to use more specific class lists. In this case to only address the
    Toggle
    that is actually the one created implicitly by the Foldout, one can use
    .unity-foldout__toggle
    which is added automatically to that element.

20. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

And this is a big issue and question to Unity - why someone even decided to do that at first place? :) When UI team using CSS\HTML as reference, when we have example for years how it's working across the world, Unity decided to reinvent their own wheel?
    As I said - a wheel :)

I didn't see any reasonable argument for that. It's like have Angular module for some control like Angular Grid, Select2 etc. which contains own hierarchy and instead of using real hierarchy for styling when user want to change control styles from their wrapper through hierarchy it's applied styles "magically" to some "virtual" hierarchy you should know in advance (of course this is exactly what everyone likes - magic, hidden unexpected stuff. For may years people never blamed unity for hidden, magic, unexpected behaviours :D ) Anyway after that response I see that Unity wouldn't fix that, and doesn't matter how real users use this solution and how it works in the HTML\CSS that Unity using as reference, thanks for response and have a nice day:)

21. antoine-unity

antoine-unity

Unity Technologies

I don't believe it was a fully conscious decision. If I remember correctly the logical/physical hierarchy concept was introduced after the basic implementation of selectors and this specific interaction between the two features wasn't really looked at.

To be clear I am not pretending that this is ideal, far from that. But all things considered I disagree it's a "big issue", we have bigger ones to solve with UI Toolkit and for this reason this likely won't be addressed soon, sorry.

eizenhorn likes this.