Search Unity

Child gameobjects connected by configjoints are displaced when scaling parent

Discussion in 'Physics' started by unwitty, Apr 3, 2017.

1. unwitty

unwitty

I've been trying to resolve this issue with scaling configurable joints for the past 2 weeks with no progress made. I'm hoping someone smarter than I am is able to help solve this problem.

I have the following:

-- Parent Gameobject
    ---- Child Gameobject with rigidbody + configurable joint
    ---- Child Gameobject with rigidbody

I need to scale 'Parent Gameobject' but the 'Child Gameobjects' are constantly moving around with a random force applied to it. There's enough constant force that the child gameobjects, though connected with a configurable joint, are never perfectly at rest. This means that the rigidbodies are trying to catch up with its target position through the joint but there will always be some unwanted displacement (one of the issues with this iteration of PhysX I guess).

The problem is that this displacement is made much worse and permanently so when I scale the parent.

I've found that turning on and off after a frame the `autoConfigureConnectedAnchor` setting in the config joint helps, but there is still displacement.

I'd like to make the rigidbodies kinematic for one frame but I need the force to be always applied.

Has anyone found a solution for this yet?