Search Unity

Chickens Shader Bundle

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Chickenlord, Jul 28, 2011.

1. xCyborg

xCyborg

Marvelous toon shader, much superior then UnityEngine's built-in one, even more superior than what I was trying to make, plenty of parameters to tweak. thnx for making sure it works well on Android, you saved me a lifetime of research:)

2. Legacy

Legacy

Hey chicken, i have been getting some odd issues with the transparent cutout skin shader when using deferred rendering. When i look at the mesh that should have alpha cutout it actually does not cut out the alpha and changes multi color where the alpha channel is at run time o_O

http://www.legacyonlineentertainment.com/GameImages/shaderissue.png

3. Toad

Toad

Is there any update on your new mobile toon shaders?

4. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

@Toad
    Not yet, but planning to release the update next week on 14./15. so i'll probably have some news then.

@OneThree
    Yes, that should be possible. Added to the list for the update.

@bravery
    Not quite sure what exactly you mean. Do you mean a TF2 like effect, like Diffuse + Rim Lighting + Ramp Texture?

@Lypheus
    Well, not exactly. It would be possible though to add a small list of objects which should be rendered again on top of the glow effect. This will require some extra draw calls as well, but i'll try to add this till next week as well.

@Sebastiao3D
    Can't give you any details on this yet, as it's still too early. I'll of course try to keep the shaders compatible with Unity4 but i'd doubt there'll be a lot of possible optimizations, except for maybe dx11 compute shaders at some points. Don't know if Unity4 will even support them though.

@Legacy
    That is in fact quite strange and i can't recreate this issue right know. Which Unity version are you using?

5. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Does this pack contain mobile shaders yet? if so, what shaders? I'm looking for a reflective shader that is influenced by lights.

Thanks,

6. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

Not yet, but the update including mobile shaders is planned to be released in a couple of days. Could you be a bit more specific what you need? Do you mean just Reflective/Bumped-Specular for mobile?

7. Legacy

Legacy

3.5.2 to get this to happen you have to be using deffered rendering pipeline. the normal cutout shaders that are built into unity work fine its just the chicken shaders that dont work right o_O

8. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

Have a look at the Cutoff parameter at the bottom. This is not the same value the built in ones use, so you might have to readjust it. Otherwise there are no issues or differences on my side, sorry.

9. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

I'd like your shaders to support real-time shadows.

10. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

They do already, unless there is a problem which doesn't allow them to work with shadows (for example transparent shadows, or silhouette clipped relief mapping). Do you have a specific issue?

11. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Doesnt work on the skin shaders here...

12. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

Mhh, again, doesn't seem to be the case on my side. What shader exactly are you referring to?
    Two possibilities that come to mind:

- An issue with Directional/Single Lightmaps in which case a simple duplication of the light source should fix it. In addition you would have to change some layers though, in order to reduce the draw calls.
    - An issue with deferred rendering which i had once, where only one light source of each type was casting shadows (the brightest or closest one). This happened as soon as you used an own lighting function which was only defined for forward rendering, which is the case for the skin shaders. I don't know if this has been fixed, so this might be the case.

Otherwise it would be real helpful if you could tell me which exact shader has this issue and which light sources.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  13. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Take a look at the sleeves. It happens only with your shaders, all the model is a single skinned mesh, but with 2 materials.
    Your skin shader on the hands, and I change to other shader bundle it works fine. The hands dont interact with shadows at all.
    Directional light, forward rendering.

14. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

Okay, this seems to be an issue on the Unity or Opengl side. From the screenshot it looks as if not only the shadow casting is messed up but rather the whole depth writing, which i'm not doing either one of them. I'll grab a Mac on Friday or so and have a look if i can find a workaround for whatever is going wrong there, because as said it works totally fine here on windows.

Also i planned to finish the update today, but it didn't quite work out. The mobile shaders heavily rely on Lightprobes and although some work without lightprobes i'm looking for a lightprobe substitute, so that you can get better results with Unity free as well. I hope that i get both the update and the documentation finished this week. In the meantime here are two screenshots of the new mobile skinshader and the bumped specular + indirect specular shaders. In regards to speed both of them are comparable to the BRDF shader used in Shadowgun.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  15. caldrin

caldrin

Awesome pack, picked it up last night only spent 10 mins playing with it but they are so much better than the standard unity stuff :)

thanks

16. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

Hi there,

i just submitted Update 1.59. Here's the list of changes:

Outline Glow
    - Added option to use full per object settings
    - Added option to draw objects on top in order to hide the outline
    - Added experimental depth testing

Mobile Shaders
    Added:
    - Trilit bumped specular shader
    - Trilit bumped specular shader w/ indirect specular reflections from lightprobes
    - Mobile skinshader version
    - Mobile rim lighting version(opaque and transparent)
    - Mobile toonshader
    - Mobile translucency version based on lightprobes
    - Fast fully per vertex lit shader w/ indirect specular reflections from lightprobes
    - Scripts to generate necessary lookup textures (can be found under Components/Chickenlord)
    - Helper script to generate one global set of spherical harmonics values for free users.

Other
    - Added a Velvet/Silk Shader
    - Added translucency shader version which doesn't apply shadows to translucent lighting.

Mobile shader performance is comparable to the BRDF shader from the Shadowgun Testlevel, except the fully vertex lit one, which is usually faster depending on the amount of vertices.

Full documentation, additional examples and additional screenshots will follow as soon as possible. Please note that until i have finished the documentation it might be a bit hard to work with the mobile shaders, as the lookup texture scripts allow for a few more possibilities than usual.

Also keep in mind that it might take some time until the update is published.

As always if you have any issues or questions, feel free to pm me or ask here.

@caldrin
    Thanks, glad to hear you like it.

17. Jernau

Jernau

Hi Chickenlord,

I'm very interested in seeing your new mobile shaders (and the outline glow effect), so I'm eagerly awaiting the next version of your webplayer.

By the way, excellent work on your other shaders, they look superb.

18. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

Hi again,

just to let you guys know: Although the info on the asset store already says, that it is version 1.59 no content has been updated so far. This seems to be a well known bug and i've already contaced the assetstore people, so it should be up quite soon.

19. Gherid_lacksGPS

Gherid_lacksGPS

I've been following your shader for a while and it's excellent stuff. Love how you keep the indie guys in mind and keep everything updated, as well. I was wondering if you plan on putting up a new web demo, particularly, the toon shader?

Again, great stuff.

20. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

HI Chickenlord,

I just purchased the package from assets store and found the sample for screenspace subsurface scattering effect is not included in it, can you please share it as it is the main reason for buying your package.

dev;)

21. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

Yeah because of a few license issues i can't add the head model to the package. But you can find an example scene here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/36736567/Head.unitypackage
    In order to use screenspace subsurface scattering, change the objects shader to one of the S5 shaders and add the effect script to the camera.

22. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

hi,

Thank you

Dev

23. Itchy-Games

Itchy-Games

Hi chickenlord,

is there a little tutorial about how to make the lookup texture (depending on the shader I use)?

I know that we have the script to make it, but I dunno exactly how to use it without any issues (some lookup scripts have several properties to use).

Thanks in advance.

24. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

Not yet, but i'm still working on full documentation. Planning to get it done til the weekend. I'll post it here when it's finished.

25. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

hi,

can possible rim lighting shader with reflection?

Thanks in advance.

Dev

26. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

hi,Chickenlord

Please reply as soon as possible.

thanks.

dev

27. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

Hey,
    sorry have been quite occupied at the job last week. Thats totally possible and i'll add it as soon as possible.

28. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

hi,

I'm working on a simple video game using unity3D and I would like to know how can I implement in Unity a caustic effect due to the water surface like this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjaNP-4Ubj8

Can I do this with chickenshader? Can anybody explain me the tip to do this effect.

Thank for your advices.

dev

29. redbaron

redbaron

Hi Chickenlord,

How come the mobile toon shader does not have outline on it? Can you add outline on it?

30. OneThree

OneThree

Ever since getting the latest version, my console gets spammed with the following three warnings:

Code (csharp):
    1. Assets/Chickens Shader Bundle/Shaders/CSB_SHLightHelper.cs(87,15): warning CS0219: The variable `ambient' is assigned but its value is never used
    Code (csharp):
    1. Assets/Chickens Shader Bundle/Shaders/CSB_SHLightHelper.cs(206,17): warning CS0219: The variable `half' is assigned but its value is never used
    Code (csharp):
    1. Assets/Chickens Shader Bundle/Shaders/Editor/ToonPackInspector.cs(16,36): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.ObjectField(string, UnityEngine.Object, System.Type, params UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[])' is obsolete: `Check the docs for the usage of the new parameter 'allowSceneObjects'.'
    Can you fix these please? I know they're just warnings and not errors, but if there's a legit compile error in some other part of a project it's easy to miss when the above errors are written frequently to the console instead, especially when you rely on the bottom bar of the editor for warnings (I don't work with an entire window dedicated to the log).

31. gecko

gecko

This is great stuff, but I can't figure out how to adjust the Outline Glow shader so the outline is obscured by objects in the foreground. Is that possible, and if so, how?

32. SpencerPDX

SpencerPDX

Great stuff, Chickenlord! I've been really happy with the results I got from the SSS shader:

Web player.

Not sure I'm using every texture to its best advantage - in some places I just copied the textures in the demo head. So I might be missing out on some of the more nuanced effects.

And I found when I started to build a scene around this character that the lighting that looked best when she was all by herself was way too bright for the surrounding terrain. If you have a suggestion for how best to approach world lighting in a way that works for both skin and surroundings, that would be very welcome. In the meantime, I'll just keep experimenting.

Thanks!

33. Wolfos

Wolfos

What's wrong with the toon/outline shaders? It only works properly on spheres...

34. jerryholand

jerryholand

nice skin shader!!!

35. janpec

janpec

Chickenlord thanks for package, those are really nice shaders, i cant decide which one should i use on rocks dammit they are all so great!

36. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I can't seem to get the SSS Shader working right... i wonder what I am doing wrong :(

37. yohami

yohami

Does the plugin work with the new flash export? it used to render "pink" with the preview one

38. nuverian

nuverian

Are we going to see any dx11 shaders? Will be nice to, even in another package, I dont mind.

Thanks

39. elec²ron

elec²ron

Is it possible to get the cook-torrence shaders to work in dualforward mode for unity free?

40. snoche

snoche

I am having some annoying warnings like:

Shader warning in 'Chickenlord/3.5/Translucency': Program 'frag_surf', 'surf': output parameter 'o' not completely initialized (compiling for d3d11) at line 80

Apparently you need to initialize all outputs now.

There is any update on your Shaders that works nicely with unity 4?

41. elec²ron

elec²ron

would love to have unity4 realtime shadows enabled for the mobile shaders. Anyone an idea if thats easy to add in?

42. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

any update in Chickens Shader Bundle?

43. castor76

castor76

Hi Chickenlord,

I am interested with your shaders but I wish to know if I can use your shaders to extend our shaders features. That is, we already have our shaders in the pipeline but wish to add some features from your shaders , like relief mapping etc.

Is this possible? Or does the shaders comes in as compiled version like many others in Asset Store?

cheers

44. 3DforMe

3DforMe

Hi Chickenlord,

I tried your S5 shader on the demo model and it looks amazing on my computer screen. I purchased your pack just for the S5 shader and am quite impressed.

I'm getting artifacts though when I try to place a hat on the model. The hat used the standard (Bumped Diffuse) shader. I don't get the artifacts if I use the S5 shader on the hat but the hat doesn't look as good with the S5 shader on it since it makes it look like it has a coat of wax on it. Is there a way to make these shaders compatible or is there a way to make the S5 shader look just like the bumped diffuse shader? $S5_Artifacts.jpg

45. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

Hi,

@3Dfor me
    Thanks for the info. It's a depth buffer precision issue. I knew about this and i also have a fix, just seems i forgot to add it to the package. Update should be up as soon as the Unity guys processed it.

@castor76
    Yes they come uncompiled, so as long as you know enough about shaders, you should be able to add them to your existing system.

About Unity4: Shaders should work just fine with 4.0. If you have any specific issues which actually prevent them from working, let me know.
    However, i'm not going to add mobile shadows any time soon because i don't have a mobile pro version and therefor can't properly test it.

46. 3DforMe

3DforMe

Thank you very much. You and your shaders are the best.

I just updated your shader package from the store and it looks like the funky chicken buffer thing is still happening.

Will update from the store again later.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  47. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Hi Chickenlord,

skin shader not work properly with B2M substance,something i doing wrong?

dev

48. Hotsun

Hotsun

@devang_xprt
    B2M can't make a translucent texture so it won't work.

@Chickenlord
    every shader in your package is useful and nice but I'm looking for a shader which is having reflect and transparency at the same time,like the image below(water)
    $watch_dogs_water.jpg
    If you can't see the image just use this link: http://s1.picofile.com/file/7708609458/watch_dogs_water.jpg

And a glowing shader could be really cool,it is just one step after the cooked-Torrance shader.It will just add glowing effect to each model you use this shader for it.
    By using a glowing shader you can have more control on glowing objects than using image effects.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  49. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

thanks for sharing information.

50. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

Hey guys,

just a quick preview of a few new shaders that are coming with the next update. They are mostly designed to create better reflective
    surfaces, with non additive reflections. However, they can handle rough, not so reflective surfaces as well.
    There will also be transparent variations of these, which support realtime refractions as well (of course for Unity Pro only).

Here's a comparison with the built-in reflective shader and two tests with planar reflections.

Attached Files: