Search Unity

ChessGame GDD

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by TylerPerry, Apr 21, 2012.

1. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I'm looking for what people think of my game design document (WIP) It is for a chess game I've been doing a little bit of stuff for :D I have only got one bit done and that's for the Battle System, If you see any spelling mistakes please correct them :D this is very important as I'm going to try out the Collaboration section so i need a good GDD so that collaborators know exactly what I'm talking about :D

That is the section Ive done :D(The word formatted version is here)

2. Muzzn

Muzzn

You might want to lose the association with chess, simply because a lot of people want to play chess, not some twisted version of it.
    Another point is, how are you going to be sure your game is not a trivial win? Or is the point that people won't take that much interest in it to solve it?

3. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

That is the whole point of the game? a modern version of chess. People don't know what they want to play but if this reaches my dream then i very think that allot of people will want to play it, it would be educational and teach loads of people basically how to play chess :D also people that like chess would get an opportunity to use there skills in a online game(eventually), but its easy for me to say all this but I'm not the one who has to program it :D

Because different enemies will have different powers some will be easily defeated and others wont, I'm going to go into more detail in how to monsters work in a section labeled "Monsters".

4. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

This is a new segment its not very long but i don't know what else to add, although i was thinking about a fishing system but if I'm not the programmer i don't want to make it more complex but i think i could add this presuming that the battles etc are effectively handled.

This is the control section:

5. Muzzn

Muzzn

I'm trying to warn you gently here. Chess players would not ever give up playing an online game of chess for any other strategy game, even less an offline version. Unless there was serious money involved, you might struggle to get any chess-players to play your game.
    The other thing is I can't imagine anyone will learn chess by playing this. The games are so different, and anyone who wants to play chess will go there first.

I'm really trying not to be mean to you, there is definitely a place for online strategy games, but not a single chess player will touch your 'modern chess.' Still, it's your game.

6. welby

welby

Ah memories,..

Archon

If done well , I think it would be great,...sure die hard Chess fans may not be into it,...

It's almost a Tactics sort of game with Chess elements thrown in at this point.

Good Luck!
    -Welby

7. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I would like the game :p so i think others would as well :D

i updated the control section:

The name MonsterMaster is just placeholder as it's already taken by a game :D

8. npsf3000

npsf3000

/FAIL.

9. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Please if you dont have anything to say except for one word that is in all capitals then dont post anything it doesn't help in the slightest.

10. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I'm disappointed. I expected you to be more considerate than that.

11. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

You stole my idea! How dare you! lol. I thought of something like this, but never bothered to create it.

12. welby

welby

It's ok,..they are both Aussies :p

No comment on my vintage Archon Video? How about Battle Chess anyone?

It's been awhile,....I don't see the harm or offense it making a "modern" version of these games.

Tell ya what,..make it first, then post it here and we'll critique it if you like. :p

cheers

-Welby

13. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I watched it :) it look cool it would be similar kind of to my game except the battles go into a separate battle screen when you fight this is unlike my game were the battles take place completely on the chess board.

This thread is not about the game but about the game design document, i dont know weather it is processed right or whatnot?

14. welby

welby

Google is yer friend!

Effectively Organize Your Game’s Development With a Game Design Document

Personally I have yet to really wrote a GDD that wasn't a patchwork blog and some wordpad docs on my C:.
    But I should start thinking in those terms
    enjoy

-Welby

15. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Yes except i dont feel that that kind of GDD fits a RPG and i cant find much else so asking the professionals here if I'm doing it right is a better option(they say some can be over 1000pages) and this already is the longest thing I've ever wrote so i dont what screw it up :p
    This is the story so far(Up to the end of the first temple):
    Is this to much detail? should i just do dot points or something or both? please could someone with experience reply :) thanks.

16. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

My suggestion is to experiment and find what works best for you. I do one of two things.

1. Make separate files and folders for different sections of the game. Example: a folder for the story and have separate files for the story itself and characters.

2. Or I just combine it all into one file, which is usually the better choice for a GDD. If you choose this, try to organize it good, bold the various sections, and pick a readable font no larger than 12 point. I use Courier New. If you want to get proper, don't use the Justify Alignment and try to stick with Left Alignment with the occasional center alignment.

As for detail, I always say it's better to over explain things than under explain things. If you are unsure how much detail to put in a game design document, then describe everything with every single detail.

Another tip I usually give is to mix lists of some kind, like bullet or number lists, in with certain parts of the document.