Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

chess game

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by NewBie01, Feb 22, 2015.

1. NewBie01

NewBie01

in our chess game, i wanted to add a cutscene(movie) whenever a specific piece eats another piece.. how do i do that? when i'll use loadlevel, it seems like it will start over from the start :3

2. CodeMonke234

CodeMonke234

Many implementation choices ....

Creating animations for every combination of attack is quite a pain.

You could create a set of standard attack types and standard defense types for each piece.
    Animate them as fbx and use mecanim to re target to each piece model.

Then whenever piece is captured ,trigger the appropriate animations

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. NewBie01

NewBie01

ow, i see.. thank you for your answer sir :) i'll have to look for it :) especially mecanim

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

A chess board has six pieces on each side. That's 36 animations total if you have a unique animation for every piece v piece combo. 36 animations is hardly excessive.

5. CodeMonke234

CodeMonke234

Creating generic attack and defend animations for each piece is 12.... Probably more interesting if each piece has a few attack and a few defend... so maybe 6*6 = 36...

Or you can do what you said - a single animation for each permutation, but for each outcome (win , lose) you end up with 6x6x2 = 72...

If you add a few various outcomes you could easilt hit 144...

I am not exactly sure what your point is about being "hardly excessive" really means - I guess you must be really good at Maya or 3ds Max and combat animations.

But just doing like 12 custom Battlechess combat animations would take me a bit of time to model, rig, and animate.

I really think "Creating animations for every combination of attack is quite a pain." sums it up fairly accurately, especially for someone just starting out.

Just trying to help with my 2 cents....

Good Luck!!!