Search Unity

Cheetah3D - Can it Help Me?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Nightspore, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Nightspore

Nightspore

I've been trying to use the new FBX Exporter for DAZ Studio (http://www.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=itemdetails&item=4137) to bring some character models into Unity. A few things are frustrating me:

- Unity almost always messes up the textures. Actually, I understand it wanting to see textures sized in factors of 2 and failing on any textures that aren't sized correctly. What I don't understand is why Unity usually fails to properly import textures that are the correct size. I've tried embedded binary FBX texture files, and texture files external to the FBX file. Have had better luck with external textures, but if someone at OTEE can explain the best way to export data from DAZ Studio into Unity it would be gooooood.
    - Some of my models exceed 65,000 triangles and I need a 3D tool to reduce their complexity.

My question is, to what extent will Cheetah3D make my life easier? I can already get my models into Unity (kinda-sorta). Does Cheetah's .jas import more nicely into unity then DAZ Studio's .fbx files? Can Cheetah3D be used to reduce the complexity of larger models? Can Cheetah3D do anything with imported textures to export them into Unity in such a way as they conform to its factor-of-two texture resolution requirement?

Many thanks!!!

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

If you have a fbx model that doesn't import into unity correctly please do report a bug using Report Bug.app.