Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Checking for changes ist faster on MacBook

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by kilicbatuhan1205, Jan 9, 2020.

1. kilicbatuhan1205

kilicbatuhan1205

Hey guys,

I have a $3000 machine standing here, i9, faster network connection, NVMe, and still, checking for changes needs about 3x the time than it does on my MacBook Pro. Is this a normal behaviour?

2. christophera_unity

christophera_unity

Unity Technologies

@kilicbatuhan1205 it can be normal depending on a number of variables. Are you on 1.X or 2.X?
    Firstly, the network speed will not influence the time it takes to check for changes.
    Drive speed, single core performance, background tasks, file system performance, operating system, and drive usage all can influence the time it takes. While I am disappointed that your $3000 machine is running slower than your Macbook, I can think of a few reasons why. The biggest factor in checking for changes in larger projects is the time it takes to check every file in the project. Drive speed and file system speed are the limiting factors. If it's a Windows vs Mac situations, the newer Macs have a better performing file system (APFS vs NTFS) especially for the kind of work Collab does during check for changes. Macbooks also tend to use much faster SSDs than the competition. Both these could be why your Macbook Pro is faster -- you can lookup some benchmarks if you're curious. Your $3000 machine will completely dominate in actual game playing and creation.
    Please correct me if any of my assumptions are wrong.

3. kilicbatuhan1205

kilicbatuhan1205

@christophera_unity My PC dominates in single core speed (Desktop i9 vs mobile i5) and drive speed (3500MB/s reading vs 2800 on Macbook). Does the file system really make that much of a difference?

4. christophera_unity

christophera_unity

Unity Technologies

@kilicbatuhan1205 It absolutely can when it comes to the kind of operations that Collab does. In checking for changes we read every single file and compute the MD5, then merge that state with what we have saved into the snapshot file. File systems optimised for SSDs will operate better here. The difference between your two machines is a lot higher than I would expect though. I've added it to my list of things to look into when I work on the Collab core. Thank you for your patience!