Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Checking for changes, forever, over and over and over

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by jfawcett, May 27, 2019.

1. jfawcett

jfawcett

Was this thing written by people who didn't have a clue about repository management? What is it doing when it's "Checking for Changes" that (1) has to run every time someone sneezes, (2) cannot be cancelled, and (3) takes forever? I spend more time waiting for Unity to come up, check for changes, check for changes again, check for changes again, then one more time just to make sure nothing has changed while I had the program minimized.

Seriously people? You're a "Professional Software Development Organization" and not just a bunch of teenage script kiddies in their mom's basement who don't know what actual code is, let alone how it works, right? You understand super advanced concepts like asset caches and cache validation, hash tables and quick hash confirmation, and NOT HAVING TO REGENERATE THE ENTIRE FRIGGING HASH SET ON BOTH SIDES EVERY TIME YOU RUN ONE OF YOUR "Checking for Changes," right? I'm the only one on this project, and I still have to wait for your brain-dead approach to complete before I can write one line of code.

Think about it kiddies. Your program (Unity) crashes *All* the time. I can make it crash by screaming "Boo" at the monitor. Every time it dies, I have to go through Collab setup, which means I'm waiting for a G-D hour before I can work again.

It just happened again. Unity crashed for no apparent reason while I was writing this, and now I have to wait for Collab to sync, again. This is the third time in the 3 hours I've worked today. Absolutely no work has been done because I've spent all the time dealing with Unity BS.

This is pathetic and you, all of you, should be very, very ashamed.

I understand what you're doing and agree that it's a difficult task. Most of the failures with Unity I can deal with because of that. Collab, though, is an intentional failure. It does not do what it is intended to do, and it is a huge bottleneck for anyone attempting to maintain any velocity.

IOU_RAY, Regone and themeshpotato like this.
  2. themeshpotato

themeshpotato

3. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity