Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

CheckerBoard Rendering (PC) for HD pipeline?

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by yc960, Jul 21, 2018.

1. yc960

yc960

Is there plan to add support for checker board rendering with HD render pipeline, and possibly integrate it into TAA?

2. jjejj87

jjejj87

If I am not mistaken, checkerboard rendering for PC wouldn't have that much of a performance benefit due to how GPUs are designed. On consoles, it is a different story. But It is still do-able. And it certainly will help with performance to some degree but not as great as it is on consoles - I read it somewhere...but can't find the source.

Also, it introduces many graphical artifacts with fast moving objects/camera which also doesn't help. Dynamic resolution, IMO, makes more sense.

So, to answer your question, no, I don't think Unity will be working on this feature. But given the scriptable pipeline, you could make it yourself.

yc960 likes this.
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Checkerboard rendering is a native (or compatible) feature for all GPUs going forward as far as I know. I think all current GPUs released in the last year or so support that kind of rendering for 4k displays.

(Multi resolution shading)

yc960 likes this.
  4. jjejj87

jjejj87

I am attaching this doc for the interested mind.
    https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024709/4K-Checkerboard-in-Battlefield-1

It seems like CB works well with Dynamic Resolution according to the docs, so maybe I am wrong :D
    Unity may implement it some day in the near future.

yc960 likes this.
  5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah I'm not sure if it's suitable for all, but most GPUs can implement this or have capabilities for MRS at least (thanks to VR and 4k)

yc960 likes this.
  6. Potato_of_Doom

Potato_of_Doom

That may be a bit late but I am also quite interested in this topic and found out that Intel recently published a paper regarding that topic (for PC without dedicated cb hardware). Paper from Intel

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    hippocoder likes this.
  7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Your link doesn't work.

Potato_of_Doom likes this.
  8. Potato_of_Doom

Potato_of_Doom

Sorry, I fixed it

hippocoder likes this.
  9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I love it - cool implementation with some caveats of course. But it seems to me this is a similar option Unity could be employing for any platform using what Unity already has (dynamic res + motion buffer + jitter).

10. Potato_of_Doom

Potato_of_Doom

Unfortunately that not the case - Unity in itself is too restricted to achieve this (Unitys API's are a little bit too restricted in terms of the graphics pipeline) and downsampling isn't the same thing. Especially in situations with high resolutions where you want to get a crisp high quality image. CBR enables this with a negligible reduction in image quality. And DR can be used afterwards if CBR is not enough. Also I looked a bit further into it and it seems like they even gave a SIGGRAPH talk here

hippocoder likes this.
  11. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

Any update on this? Maybe people should suggest it in the roadmap

12. joshuacwilde

joshuacwilde

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
  13. EricFFG

EricFFG

Did you get to any conclusion or anything working?

14. joshuacwilde

joshuacwilde

Yeah I mean, I implemented it a while back now. A year or two ago. But it's not really that difficult once you understand how it works. The main issue is coming up with a reconstruction that is good enough.

But IMO you will get better results using TAAU rather than 2x MSAA checkerboard rendering, so it's not really worth it. TAAU requires less work, and can get you better results for a cheaper runtime cost.

The only way I could see Checkboard rendering being cheaper is if you could avoid motion vector generation and just do some advanced lerping in the reconstruction shader. I think other games have done that, but my first impression is that the quality wouldn't be very good. A lot of games already generate motion vectors for other things though, so this becomes a non-issue as you are already paying the cost.