Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Check Workplace has not changed? Can't download revision?

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Kajamaz, May 29, 2017.

1. Kajamaz

Kajamaz

For some reason I can't download my team members latest revision, all I see is a box upon clicking download that says "Check workplace has not changed". Help! I want to be able to download and work on the project. It freezes every time.

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

To get around this error you can undo your local changes by using the Collab History window to Restore to the latest revision. If that doesn't work, then try downloading the project from the Cloud again into a new folder.

3. HugeJackedMan

HugeJackedMan

Wouldn't that just mean you'd essentially never get work done? If the only way to get around it is to continually upload and re download from the cloud, then there isn't much of a point in the collab service...

4. Ozfer

Ozfer

Unity collab is broken

5. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

This error typically happens when files have been moved or modified during a publish/update, which is not supported in 5.6 (we do have a fix for this in 2017.1 aimed to address this issue). The best workaround, in the meantime, is to copy out your local changes that you want to keep, paste them elsewhere, restore your project to the latest version, then paste your changes back in. There should be very little to no work lost if Collab is used as intended, with small sets of changes pushed frequently. We do apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

6. HugeJackedMan

HugeJackedMan

Considering my team currently is working out of one scene, it sounds like we just can't work at the same time until that fix is pushed.

7. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

It would not be advised for an entire team to be working on one scene at the same time. That greatly increases the chance for merge conflicts and work lost, regardless of using Collab, Git or any other source control option. A safer option would be for each teammate to have one version of the master scene to work in, then to have their changes merged into the master scene one at a time. It's a slower process, but it helps to prevent any important work from being lost.

8. Ozfer

Ozfer

This is vastly important....

9. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

@Ozfer I apologize if this suggested workflow interferes with your current one. You had mentioned earlier that Collab seemed broken to you. Would you be willing to go into more detail about how it isn't working? I'd like to get you unblocked if possible.

10. Kajamaz

Kajamaz

I can address all the issues with collab. Often it doesn't load up the collab box for me and sometimes for others and I have to restart the program and pray it works. #2 Often it gives errors uploading or downloading, sometimes the error posted on this topic. #3 no revert feature.

11. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thank you @Kajamaz. The Collab Toolbar becoming blank has a couple different reasons for that happening, which we have troubleshooting tips for here.

And as for revert, we do have that feature. If you're referring to reverting changes made to a single asset, you can revert them through the Collab Toolbar (or right-clicking in 2017.1) as long as you haven't Published them yet. If you are looking to go back to an earlier revision and undo your recent changes, you can use the Collab History window to Go Back To the revision that you would like to continue from.

12. Kajamaz

Kajamaz

I keep getting Check workplace has not changed error.

13. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Which version of Unity are you using? Did you try downloading the project into a new folder from the Cloud?

14. Ozfer

Ozfer

Unity collab is borderline unusable. If you don't update for a while and then try to update it doesn't seem to update everything and you have to re-download your whole project again.

It often thinks I have changed a bunch of things I have never changed thus making me need to re-download the whole project all over again.

Even after syncing with collab it usual says I have made changes right off the bat. Furthermore the collab window hangs and freezes and sometimes buttons are missing.

Downloading the whole project from scratch is very slow. I have gigabit internet and unity servers don't go very fast. Combined with how long everything takes processing after downloading this is a pain to be doing all the time. When unity is processing it's a grey unclickable box that seems like a frozen program and it puts my CPU up to 100% for a few hours.

15. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Ozfer! I'm really sorry you've been having such a rough time with Collab. We'll documenting Collab tips and tricks and will be releasing them soon. One of them is that Collab works better when teammates Update and Publish frequently, rather than letting too many commits go by. I'm sorry that you've had to come across this the hard way and we're so appreciative of everyone that has tried Collab while it's been in Beta.

What sorts of files are being marked as edited without you touching them? Could you be using plugins or shaders that recompile when the game is run that are touching those edited files?

How often does the Collab Toolbar hang or freeze for you? This can often be exacerbated by larger projects. How big is your project? What UI buttons have been missing for you?

Which version of Unity have you been using Collab with? We added progress bars for when Collab is scanning your files at startup to let you know that Unity hasn't frozen. Do you see those at all?

16. Umresh

Umresh

I'm facing same issue on unity 2019.3. How do i solve it?

17. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Umresh, have you tried closing your project, deleting the CollabSnapshot file inside of the Library/Collab/ folder of your project, then reopening your project to see if you still get that error?