Search Unity

Check if the target collider is within a specific region of my collider

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by libra34567, Feb 8, 2018.

1. libra34567

libra34567

So I'm in a case where my collider have a left detection range of 30 degrees, and right detection range of 60 degrees. And when there's a collision enter event, i only want my collider to call a function if the incoming collider is within my detection range.

How should i achieve that?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Errorsatz

Errorsatz

Surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be a way to manually check two colliders against each-other.

However, you could achieve this by making the left and right regions separate colliders, and seeing which one the incoming collider hits.

Alternately, if either of the colliders involved is a basic type (box, sphere, or capsule), you can use the Physics.Overlap___ methods to test collision with them.

If I'm misunderstanding and this is a "vision cone" thing or similar, that's simpler - just use Transform.InverseTransformPoint to put the incoming object in the guard's local space, then use Mathf.Atan2 to see what the relative angle is.

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

As already mentioned, I'd use separate colliders and verify the object is within one of your detection range colliders and then call whatever function.

4. libra34567

libra34567

@Errorsatz @Joe-Censored Thank you guys for your suggestions, probably i didn't explain this good enough, what I meant is similar to vision cone. I later used the SignedAngle function to achieve it. Thank you for mentioning the keyword, it saved me a bunch of time !