Search Unity

Question Check for Content Update Restrictions report content changed while it isn't

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by seantaka, Jan 12, 2022.

1. seantaka

seantaka

When using addressable group with Cannot Change Post Release aka the static content, it is still possible to change some of the content after release by using the Check for Content Update Restrictions tools. This tool suppose to report only static content had been changed, however in my project I found that even the content did not changed this tool still report some asset changed. This randomly happened after I build the apk (I am developing for mobile platform).
    My procedure is like this:
    1 Use the addressable Default Build Script build the addressable contents
    2 Build the Apk
    3 Use the Check for Content Update Restrictions tool to check anything changed.
    Then there is a 70% chance the tool will report content changed.

I couldn't figure it out why this happened.
    here is some clues: almost all changed assets are prefab with script attached. Maybe building APK cause some script re-compiled will lead this issue, but that wouldn't explain why there is 30% chance it work as usual.

My Unity is 2019.4.18f1
    Addressables is 1.19.14

2. seantaka

seantaka

Any one?

3. seantaka

seantaka

Is that only I got this problem?

4. timbokoppers

timbokoppers

Nope, we've got the same. Static content changes, even if you don't change a thing. Maybe triggered when using scenes in the addressables and you only resize the game window in the editor for instance...

5. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, this was a bug in the engine that I remember popping up. I believe the graphics settings were including the game window size in it's hashing calculation for some reason and so it would be detected as a change. I can't exactly remember if that's 100% correct or not.

I'd have to try and dig up that bug, but in the end I believe it would require an Editor upgrade.

6. timbokoppers

timbokoppers

Do you know by any change if this is fixed in an editor version?

7. seantaka

seantaka

ok, I will wait for the fix

8. seantaka

seantaka

Do you know which editor version?

9. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

10. seantaka

seantaka

Thank you,davidla

11. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

12. NyanGamedev

NyanGamedev

Having this issue as well, changes are detected in assets that did not change. Different changes are detected on different machines, too

EDIT: the hash changes were caused by line endings differences in meta files between my 2 machines. Those changes are not picked up by git, which made me convinced the assets were identical. Addressables could show a warning if the only changes are line endings

Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
    nnikitin and TPukhliar like this.
  13. Abed_Kadah

Abed_Kadah

Same issue here, anyone know how to fix this?

14. TPukhliar

TPukhliar

We have same issue. Sad story, as we're just not able to use local addressables due to this issue and we spent so much time investigating it. So Unity, what's the plan on this? Any workaround, troubleshooting options?

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    nnikitin likes this.