Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Question Check for anything a collider will hit given an angular velocity (rotation sweep)

Discussion in 'Physics' started by rherring, Mar 31, 2021.

1. rherring

rherring

Does there exist some sort of function or method to check if a (3D) collider will hit something if you give it a position and rotation to move next frame, like a rigidbody.sweeptest that also takes an angular velocity?

For example, in the attached crude drawing I have a box, and I want it to both spin about 90 degrees around its center, and move a few units to the right next frame.
    I would like to somehow pass these velocities to a function and get information about what colliders would have been hit by it (and maybe the time of impact during the translation/rotation from 0.0-1.0).
    drawring.png
    Basically I'm looking for a raycasthit struct for the red x in the drawing, where the rectangle would have collided with the smiley face given the rotation and translation.

Looking through the docs I couldn't find anything that describes what I want; for linear motion theres a bunch of easy options like rigidbody.sweeptest or physics.boxcast, but nothing I can find for linear & angular motion;
    I just wanted to know if there was something I was missing.

There was just one thread I found (SweepTest() for object rotation - Unity Forum) about this that I replied to asking the same, but the OP was from ten years ago and thought I might have better luck making a new thread.
    Thanks in advance for any info.

_eternal likes this.
  2. CCrowell

CCrowell

Did you ever find a solution for this? I am having the same issue.

3. _eternal

_eternal

It's interesting that a solution doesn't seem to exist, and it makes me wonder how games with complicated physics handled this problem. This is an issue even in 2D (e.g. a kinematic laser that rotates quickly and skips its collision with the player).