Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheapest Macintosh for ARkit dev?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rkino, Nov 9, 2017.

1. rkino

rkino

Looking for a (relatively) cheap machine for ARkit development for iOS. Was initially thinking of going with a cheap Mac Mini (500 GBP refurb?) then I heard that build times can get a bit insane as the box overheats then throttles performance. Anyone here has experience with this ?

So my idea now is aiming for a 16GB i7 2014/5 Macbook Pro with a dedicated graphics card. that's looking like around 1000-1500gbp, which is my limit atm. Any foreseeable issues with that machine?

Based in the UK, if that matters.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

If you don't mind used hardware you can find a lot of Mac Pro 2012s on eBay that support the latest OS. Processors for the time period can be found all over the Internet for a fraction of their original price, the memory is often upgradeable to a high amount, and they have PCIe slots so the GPUs can be upgraded too.

This one here is just under 400 GBP.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-...D-2009-Model-updated-to-2012-5-1/253002261501

3. rkino

rkino

You think that will do well with anything I throw at it (as far as mobile graphics go?). With an Nvidia GT120 ?

Good suggestion though.

4. nathanielp

nathanielp

The 2012 Mac Pros are upgradable like a normal desktop. You can buy a more suitable graphics card and slot it in yourself, it should be pretty straight forward even if you haven't dealt with the inside of a computer before. Here's a video tutorial I found, looks like a very similar 2012 mac pro and he is replacing a GT120 as well.

If you are unfamiliar with graphics cards then I'm sure someone can give input on what would be a good upgrade for a mac, that is outside of my experience so hopefully someone who knows what video cards work best for macs can chime in :)

Ryiah likes this.