Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheapest Macintosh for ARkit dev?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rkino, Nov 9, 2017.

1. rkino

rkino

Looking for a (relatively) cheap machine for ARkit development for iOS. Was initially thinking of going with a cheap Mac Mini (500 GBP refurb?) then I heard that build times can get a bit insane as the box overheats then throttles performance. Anyone here has experience with this ?

So my idea now is aiming for a 16GB i7 2014/5 Macbook Pro with a dedicated graphics card. that's looking like around 1000-1500gbp, which is my limit atm. Any foreseeable issues with that machine?

Based in the UK, if that matters.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

If you don't mind used hardware you can find a lot of Mac Pro 2012s on eBay that support the latest OS. Processors for the time period can be found all over the Internet for a fraction of their original price, the memory is often upgradeable to a high amount, and they have PCIe slots so the GPUs can be upgraded too.

This one here is just under 400 GBP.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-...D-2009-Model-updated-to-2012-5-1/253002261501

3. rkino

rkino

You think that will do well with anything I throw at it (as far as mobile graphics go?). With an Nvidia GT120 ?

Good suggestion though.

4. nathanielp

nathanielp

The 2012 Mac Pros are upgradable like a normal desktop. You can buy a more suitable graphics card and slot it in yourself, it should be pretty straight forward even if you haven't dealt with the inside of a computer before. Here's a video tutorial I found, looks like a very similar 2012 mac pro and he is replacing a GT120 as well.

If you are unfamiliar with graphics cards then I'm sure someone can give input on what would be a good upgrade for a mac, that is outside of my experience so hopefully someone who knows what video cards work best for macs can chime in :)

Ryiah likes this.