Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap VR Development

Discussion in 'VR' started by pithakoteTata, Jun 17, 2020.

1. pithakoteTata

pithakoteTata

Hello,

I am a university student looking to do a VR project for my dissertation and all was going well until COVID situation hit us all.
    The university now remains close and for that reason, I cannot seem to borrow the VR set from them which in turn will not allow me to even start my project.
    This project is a product for an external company for simulation of situations/training.

I was looking to buy my own VR headset but they all seem expensive and since I am an international student, I cannot even apply for student finance.

Can someone help me with selection of a cheap VR headset that I can use with Unity for development of this simulation program? All the one's i've found are either too expensive or not able to do functions like hand tracking and grab etc.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

The cheapest rig that can do hand (or controller) tracking is Oculus Quest.

If the project is for an external company, I'd suggest you ask them to buy you one (perhaps with the agreement that it is really theirs, and they'll get it once the project is over).

gjf likes this.
  3. Polff

Polff

You could also Start developing without a headset for the time being.
    If you're fine with using the Unity XR interaction toolkit (cross platform, so doesn't matter what headset you get in the end) you could use my VR Simulator on the asset store to test your interactions. :)
    (I've even got a couple of vouchers in the forum thread ;) )

4. cyenketswamy

cyenketswamy

If you developing for a Windows Mixed Reality Headset you can run the Mixed Reality Portal in Developer mode and use the virtual controls. Alternatively use an Xbox or PS3 game controller which is what i sometimes use even though i have a headset.

5. pithakoteTata

pithakoteTata

Sorry for the late reply, it's been a while since I checked on the forum and for some reason I wasn't getting emails about it. I will definitely opt for Oculus Quest if everything else fails. If everything else fails, I will have to get a reused one or something quite cheap. I guess I'll have to work extra and start saving up now

6. pithakoteTata

pithakoteTata

I have never used Unity XR interaction toolkit so I will give it a go. Thanks!

https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...nt/xr-interaction-toolkit-vr-simulator-167062

I will see if I can use this! Thanks a lot.

7. pithakoteTata

pithakoteTata

Never used a Mixed Reality Portal before, so I will give it a try. Thanks!