Search Unity

cheap hotel in SF

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by dacloo, Jun 15, 2007.

1. dacloo

dacloo

Hi!

I want to attend the Unity conference in SF, but hotels seem to be quite expensive... Perhaps people on the forum have some tips on nice hotels?

Thanks!

2. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I saved a ton of money by shopping on RoomSaver.com ( http://www.roomsaver.com/search_display.php?state=CA&city_id=31321 ). Another trick I learned is when considering a hotel that is part of a chain, call the individual hotel, not the chain's 800 number. Often I can get a huge discount on a room by just asking for one. My wife and I stayed for a week at $35 a night and the lady who checked in behind me got the same room for $195 a night. Amazing what you can get if you ask -nicely- for it!

3. dacloo

dacloo

Nice!!!!! Thank you for your info.

Big Kahuna Burger? That's that new Hawaiian burger joint. I heard they got some tasty burgers. I ain't ever had one myself, how are they?

4. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Never had one either. Maybe I can collect royalties and retire ;)

Wish I could join you guys in SF. I was just there last month on business but looks like I'll be on the East coast this fall...

5. drJones

drJones

That's, a tasty burger ; )

6. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Have you checked the Travel page on our website (in the Unite conference pages)? It lists a few hotels in the Marina/Fisherman's Wharf area that were listing room rates in the range of $80-150 when I last checked.

For example, La Luna Inn, for four nights in October, they have availability and rates from $99-119 per night. I know that's not the cheapest but by SF standards it's not that bad.

Otherwise you might consider the SF Youth Hostels as they have room rates of $26-30 per night for dorm rooms, or $75-100 per night for private rooms.

Edit: let me know if you need help choosing a hotel or making a decision in any way (email, PM, IM, whatever...). I'm here to help! :D

7. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Since sharing hotel rooms can save a lot of money, participants on a budget should really consider asking around on the forum to find room-mates.

d.

8. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Actually, sharing a hostel room could be called 'travelling OtEE style' I've lost track of how many times we've done that!

9. dacloo

dacloo

Thanks guys! HiggyB, I will contact you soon!

10. metervara

metervara

Hi.

We (me Jørgen) still haven't booked our hotels for Unite. Trying to find a cheap (possibly free) sollution... Anyone living in SF with a spare room for abt a week before during Unite, who could use some scandinavian company? :-D

And what abt the room-sharing idea, anyone doing that?

/Patrik

11. Darko

Darko

Exit-Travel has the best/cheapest travels to north america. Especially the flights from Amsterdam are unbeatable.

www.exit-reisen.de

(seems like the site is only available in german, but they should understand dutch/english on the telephone)

12. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

If you're only staying approximately the length of the conference another idea would be to find a cheaper hotel perhaps in Oakland (on the east side of SFO Bay).

I will be there with friends and will be able to drive people into the conference each day ... after Saturday AM you're on your own but the BART if quick from Oakland to SFO after that for sight seeing etc.

There are some decent hotel there and lots of good B&Bs.

Just FYI.

13. heyyeah

heyyeah

Well apartment plan A fell through.. Is anyone still looking to share hotel or Apartment (Plan B)? Australian gamer arriving Tuesday

14. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Check sidestep.com, they still show a number of inexpensive room options for Tuesday-Saturday.

15. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

And don't forget to add Oakland to the list to search for! I can drive you in each day!!!

16. VICTOM

VICTOM

Davey - Do you know how much parking in SF is? When I lived there in 2000 it was like $40 a day downtown.

Take the BART if you plan to be back to your hotel before it shuts down.

Cheers,

17. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Do note that the conference is nowhere near downtown and we will have a MASSIVE and FREE parking lot not more than a hundred or so feet away from where the conference will be. Going downtown during the evenings may be a different story as it won't be convenient to park at the conference, go out for dinner/drinks, then go back for your car. But at least during the day, at the conference, parking is free and extremely easy.

(this massive empty space is across the street and is all free parking with lots of room during the day :) )

18. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Yeah, you and I lived there in the same era (me 1999-2001). And yes I remember parking. As Tom pointed out The Presidio grounds will be free and I'm hunkering down with friends in Oakland late at night so I'm good there. Parking in SFO is like in YYZ, evenings will be fine if you can find a spot.