Search Unity

Charcoal Rock playable Intro

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Torsh, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Torsh

Torsh

http://www.mediafire.com/?x32betvstc3cysz

This game will no longer be called a card game. It's a RPG with card game elements.

JoshSavage did the terrain.

I did the 4 orbs, the skybox and caging everything in.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  2. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

thanks for making it mac friendly . . . .

3. Torsh

Torsh

4. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

13 mb? For some terrain and floating orbs. No, it doesn't work on mac because you compiled an exe.
    Still, nothing playable here...

5. Torsh

Torsh

JoshSavage made a lot more terrain but I blocked it off. You will be in some of it later.

6. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

why make a lot of terrain for an intro ?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  7. Torsh

Torsh

There was a slight miscommunication somewhere. But we ended up with a lot of terrain.

8. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

its very easy to change . . . just set the terrain resolution smaller

9. andorov

andorov

Not sure what you're looking for in terms of response, as you're very dismissive of any constructive criticism. Anyway, here it goes:

I started the game on top of the terrain. It has poor scaling and looks super pixelated. Tiny rock features are highly magnified when you look down. The grass and trees in relation to the character's velocity are huge. Thats 1meter grass and ~2 meter diameter trees, by my guess. Basically. The character is tiny compared to the environment. I figured I was supposed to walk up the dirt path, but I couldn't. A hill stopped me and it seemed like there was an invisible wall blocking my path.

To make matters worse, the mouse was not locked to the screen so I had an ugly cursor running around all over the place. I couldn't look up or down, which is super awkward when playing in first person.

10. Torsh

Torsh

I'll make a mental note of your advice.

Try going the other way, to see the orbs.

11. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Is there any chance for a webplayer version?

12. Torsh

Torsh

How do I do that?

13. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

Use dropbox

14. JoshSavage

JoshSavage

Sorry for lots of terrain but it my normal size...

15. Torsh

Torsh

That's okay. We'll have a lot of terrain to work with from the looks of it :).

Trying the demo? I want to know what you think.

16. JoshSavage

JoshSavage

I tried the demo why has the y axis been disabled to look up and down and if you really want i will make the terrain smaller and size down with more detail on the area in use.

17. Torsh

Torsh

I tried enabling the Y axis and it didn't do anything. Perhaps the way it's centered, it needs a Z axis? I'm not really sure.

18. JoshSavage

JoshSavage

Cool skybox by the way. So do you want just around that area by the cave rocks? Thorsh if you don't already get msn messenger it be easier for me to talk on that as you can type quicker message for me to read and allply while your online.

19. JoshSavage

JoshSavage

Okay go on the First Person Controller in the Hierarchy area and find the script called (Mouse Look Script) find Y axis on the first set -60 and the second set 60. This will allow the character to look up 60 degrees and down 60 degrees without doing a full 180 going threw the character.

20. Torsh

Torsh

Doesn't work. Something got messed up somehow. When you sent me the files, the scripts were missing to First Person Controller and when I plugged them in, they became this way.

21. JoshSavage

JoshSavage

Yes as i was making space I remove files but forgot to go back into unity and change then back the the way they were. Put the file on MediaFire and ill do some tweaks.

22. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

Okay, first off thanks for the mac build you sent me but there are so many problems with this. Its not a intro, you can't look up or down also are we playing a midget ? i mean the whole terrain is out of scale. The whole game isn't anything special you've just thorn in a load of things and hoped for the best. if the orbs did a function maybe it would be better, you really should work out the character controller as well then worry about the other things. We've gave you so much advice and criticism but you're ignoring everything, you're a little set in your ways and why ask for advice if you're not going to listen ? you really should learn basic scripting like me, i've been practicing for a couple of months and i'm no where near ready to create a game. Neither are you, sorry to tell you but you're deluding yourself. Of course first games are going to be bad but as i said you've thrown a load of stuff in. We all said start with your core scripting which is hard but when its done you've completed a hurdle. . . then to the next hurdle.

Hope this helps

PS: sorry for my grammar.

23. Torsh

Torsh

I listened to Dabeh (programmer art for the orbs) and yls ("is this intro going to be playable?") and will get to your advice eventually.

24. chippy-cheese

chippy-cheese

I don't want to be the really mean person on this forum so I'm sending you a PM here shortly, I will say this much cut out the standard assets and placing them down on the terrain as if something new has been made.

25. Torsh

Torsh

I'll make a mental note of it.

26. RingOfStorms

RingOfStorms

Yea I would work on movement and camera scripts first, I am a pretty darn novice programmer and I wont brag about anything cause if you look at my site there isn't anything too great in the games section yet. But I have just started my main project that I am working on this summer, and I don't even have a terrain or assets yet, I am making the movement scripts, camera scripts from the gecko using the construction worker model as a place holder. Just slap a few objects in the scene and use it as a testing ground. If you don't have simple movement you really need to take a step back and rethink your project a bit.

I would love to see more than the edges of the skybox, it looks cool, but I cant look up at it :(

Edit: This is a few days old but this video shows a little test environment, it is showing the error of the falling animation (which is fixed now) but it should give you an idea of what you need to do before doing other things. I am now moving on to NPC's and possibly the inventory/GUI after that.

But I don't have a terrain at all, everything is going to stay in that test scene until I get all (or close to all) the mechanics done, and then I will work on art and such (mainly because I don't have an artist). But it is a good idea not to focus on looks, it won't take shape to anyone but the programmer for a month or two.

27. Torsh

Torsh

Does anyone know how to fix the orbs so they are a bit less dark/shadowed? How would I do that?

28. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Assuming you are using a diffuse shader

move its color closer to white.

29. Torsh

Torsh

It seems to kind of work but the shadows are still bad.

Yes, I'm using a diffuse shader.

30. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

change the shadow strength then.

tbh, feels like you're worrying about something that's insignificant compared to the other problems with your demo.

31. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

This is your new way of telling people to get stuffed.

Make the dang battle system already, and stop fluffing around with some orbs.

32. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I agree

33. Torsh

Torsh

I fixed the Y axis problem. The Y had a sensitivity of 0. I updated the original post with the new Windows build.

34. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

Please dont bump that much until you have significant updates. Aslo a lot of developers use mac, it would help if you did build it in that as well or even better, a webplayer.

35. Khyrid

Khyrid

Was it that the y axis is controlled by the main camera? That has been an issue for me before. It's generally good to post what you did to solve an issue so others can learn from it.

36. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

Now that this is done you really shouldn't post until you have gameplay working properly.

37. Prion Games

Prion Games

Whats going on? This project has been in development at least a month or so now and still no programming to showcase? We have an open beta on Kongregate of Cube Ninja and we only worked on it a total of 4 days now lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

38. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

maybe he's just set in his way, or possibly being immature ?

39. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

you expected more?

40. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

I don't think anyone expects anything anymore.

41. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

we just expect a little, we've all told him to make the basic core functions but he's being ignorant and he just doesn't want to admit that he doesn't have the experience to do that.

42. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Well, he does seem to only listen to certain people and ignores the rest. (sorry Torsh)

43. JoshSavage

JoshSavage

What's this about?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.