Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Charcoal Rock card game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Torsh, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Torsh

Torsh

We are making a RPG card game. Unlike most card games however, this will not use a deck. Cards will be made based on randomness and precision by the computer.

Have you ever played Golden Sun or Final Fantasy X? We will borrow some concepts from both. I like the FFX battle system.

With the graphics, picture a realistic Wii game. Usually Wii games are not realistic but pseudorealistic. This game will also be pseudorealistic.

The main point of the game is the battle system mechanics. There will be a stats mechanic and grinding will hopefully be made fun.

You play as Cleo, an 18 year old male warrior. You will see this PC about the game. His PC will help characterize what happens in the card game.

The tone of this game can be a little horror-based but it will also be lighthearted. A serious story comes with Namantha, a love interest who you might have to kill.

Ultimately you want to kill the Blue Devil, the source of evil. You want to save Namantha, but you also want to save your town.

You point-and-click cards. There are different arenas such as land or dungeons. Whether you decide to fight or run from a monster is a strategy. Battles will occur automatically once selected, and whether you win or lose is based on stats and luck.

The game will occur in third-person.

The game can last from a few minutes, at worst, to several hours.

The heart of the gameplay is stats, strategy and luck.

This is a single player game, probably with one gameplay mode.

The game is fairly difficult, but not any worse so than your standard RPG.

The game may take the average gamer 6-10 hours to complete.

Here's how the card game works. You will draw a card and various things might happen. You might get tokens from the card. You might get a chance to buy weapons or armor with tokens from a card. You might get an encounter with a monster on the card - you can choose to kill it for its exp with the risk of dieing, or you can escape it. The card game may be short or last several hours. But you can experience different adventures depending on the cards. You might fall in love. You might encounter a dungeon and have to crawl it in a dungeon card level. You might collect 4 orbs to make you powerful, or even just 1 orb.

The Blue Devil wants to destroy Kelk Village, Cleo's hometown. But the Blue Devil needs a person to do it. Cleo falls in love with a woman named Namantha. One day, the Blue Devil is "havesting his crops" and chooses Namantha as his victim. Namantha is infused with The Darkma (negative energy) by the Blue Devil. She will now try to kill the whole town. You love Namantha, but Kelk Village contains your family and friends, most of whom don't believe in the Blue Devil or The Darkma. You must kill Namantha or kill the Blue Devil to save Kelk Village. You must go on a journey to find the Blue Devil and kill him. But if you aren't able to make it all the way through the adventure, you must try to kill Namantha.

Cards

Tokens card -

Get a certain number of tokens.

Weapons card -

Buy a weapon if you have the tokens, or find a weapon.

Armor card -

Buy armor if you have the tokens, or find armor.

Love card -

Fall deeper in love with Namantha, gain courage level.

Monster card -

Encounter a monster.

Boss card -

Encounter a boss.

Poison card -

Poisons player.

Heal card -

Heals player.

Lockpick card -

Gain a level at picking locks.

Treasure Chest card -

Open a treasure chest if your lock-pick level is high enough.

Magic 1.25x card -

Increase magic by 25% while the status enhancement remains.

One-Hit Kill card -

Occasionally perform a one-hit kill on foes while the status enhancement remains.

Remove Status Enhancements card -

Removes status enhancements.

Liquid Orb card -

Get the liquid orb.

Charcoal Orb card -

Get the charcoal orb.

Pomegranate Orb card -

Get the pomegranate orb.

Electric Orb card -

Get the electric orb.

4 Orbs card -

Get all 4 orbs.

You have the choice of running from some monsters or fighting them to gain exp and levels. If you fight them, you will win or lose the battle based on a percentage that is based on what level you are. So if you are a higher level, you have a better chance of winning because there is a better percentage you'll win. If you die, you have to catch a card with numbers of 1-2 on 1 to be revived. If you're not revived, you have once chance of killing Namantha and if you don't win, the game is over. Bosses can't be ran from.

This game will have 3 endings.

Ending 1 (best): You destroy the Blue Devil, save Kelk Village and are free to be in love with Namantha.

Ending 2 (neutral): You kill Namantha and save Kelk Village.

Ending 3 (bad): Kelk Village gets destroyed.

You have a set of 9 cards laid out. You click cards from endless piles to get 1 of 18 cards. If you get a battle, whether you win or lose is based on a percentage which is based on your stats and how difficult the monster or boss is.

This game will contain Kelk Village and at least 3 dungeons.

There will be approximately 50 weapons and pieces of armor, and 50 or more monsters. You can obtain different weapons or armor or fight different monsters off the same cards. Just the text letting you know what is happening is changed, as well as the stats.

Progressing through the game involves getting levels. You must be at a high level to face the Blue Devil and get the best ending. Being at too low a level when you die will mean you will probably face the worst ending.

Here is concept art of a dungeon:

Here is terrain that is being worked on:

Logo by: againsthelaw
    Dungeon concept art by: DemonRoxas
    Terrain by: SlashGuitarLicks
    Ideas by: me, and a few storyline ideas by Mickylee

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  2. 1337_hax_ftw

1337_hax_ftw

Sweet terrain! SlashGuitarLicks?

3. Torsh

Torsh

Yep.

I added credits.

4. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

Still no WIP.

5. SrBilyon

SrBilyon

I paraphrased your post a bit because I want to get a bit of clarification.

So from the description you gave, it's not entirely a card game with RPG elements (i.e, the traditional 52, japanese styled collect-a-monster game), but the cards are spawned to allow for RPG... actions? (Such as movement, entering a battle, etc?)

The game is in third person, so I assume you move around in third person? If so, does this actually make the game straight up RPG? Or is traversing through the game world purely based on the "heart of the cards?" :D

Also, from the battle description, it seems the victor is decided as soon as the player enters the battle if it's purely based on stats, so where does the luck and skill come into play?

One more point, you said that the game can take minutes-several hours to beat, but then you said the game length is 6 - 10 hours? In regards to the first statement, are you referring to the length of a battle?

6. Torsh

Torsh

Entering a battle is done by cards. Movement will be controlled separately. Some arenas like dungeons require movement to proceed, which will probably be done by clicking arrow keys that move the character around.

You have to win battles based on chance. That requires luck and skill. Any time you lose a battle, the consequences can potentially be big. So you want to carefully read the chances of winning, level up on easy enemies, etc.

The game can take 6-10 hours to beat if you try for the best ending. But if you lose early on, it may be over with in as little as a few minutes.

7. ppan

ppan

Moderators, please don't close this thread like you did with the "card game" thread in collab.
    As long as all the losers are bound this project they don't bother someone else or open up there on thread.

Regards

8. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

Torsh, he is trying to be diplomatic in saying "You have no idea what you are doing". Your Collab thread was a mess, because you've been posting about this for close to two weeks, and still haven't started, but keep talking about your team. And now you've posted a WIP thread, but you have no progress. Even after reading the original thread, nobody has any idea what your game is about, because you are just making it up as you go. I offered several scripts to you in the collab thread that you could have used as a launchpad (one built a deck of 52 cards, and shuffled them and then there was just some stuff that dealt them out one by one until the deck was empty and it reshuffled. The other one was a collection of classes that could be used to build a card game similar to Dominion (great game, look it up).

Instead of actually working on your game, you instead start threads about waterfall vs agile, and now this WIP thread, because somehow you envision your game just coming together like magic, without you actually doing anything.

What ACTUAL progress have you made on the game. Please don't tell us about your ideas anymore. What solid progress have YOU made on the actual game (not some terrain, not some concept art, not some GDD stuff, not ideas, but solid actual work on a game).

9. Torsh

Torsh

I'll be starting on the menu screen as soon as SlashGuitarLicks' terrain is done.

10. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

isn't better to start with the core scripts ?

11. Torsh

Torsh

My programming skills need work.

12. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

So work on it, because without it, you will only end up with a bunch of menu graphics, some terrain and a fps controller stuck in it, and it will stay that way forever, like a vast majority of other collab forum games.

13. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

he's right you've not doing anything really, look at my project i've not posted anything because its no where near ready to be posted in the WIP section but i've added a webplayer. this was done in a week you should be able to do the fundamentals for your game by now

Controls - wasd, E to pick up sphere , E to drop at front of the cube

you have to go full screen to controller the camera with the mouse.

and no i'm not trying to promote anything at all by posting my webplayer game here i'm trying to prove a point

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72820025/My game/My game.html

EDIT: yes i know i've used penelope but she has the appropriate animations to show you what the character controller can do, also i'm using frogames proto pack.plus the watermark is out of place since i didn't account for the webplayer resolution

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  14. Torsh

Torsh

Let's try to keep this discussion geared towards game feedback.

15. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

that was part of feedback hence
    and also i'm proving a point that you're not advancing and creating pointless bumps and not doing the core scripts

16. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

If you had any semblance of a game, we could.

17. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

The point is, what game? All you have is an incomplete generic unity terrain that really isn't impressive.

18. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Everyone starts somewhere.

19. AdmiralAckbar

AdmiralAckbar

Guys, can we give the OP a bit of a break. He was told on his old Collaboration thread that it had become a WIP thread, so he requested it be closed and have opened this, now you're telling him he has no WIP.

20. varedis

varedis

Chance is not based on skill. By definition chance is indeterministic in that it doesn't care about previous results or for example how you throw a die.

The chance of me throwing a die under arm and landing on a 1 is 1in6. The chance of doing it again does not increase if I use the exact same throw again (i.e skill).

An example of a skill game would be Chess where the difference between winning or losing is based on the player's skill.

21. Torsh

Torsh

In my game, the chance game will also require skill. You have to decide whether you want to take the risk fighting an enemy, or fight easier enemies to level up first. You can choose to run from enemies or fight enemies for the exp so you have the levels when you have to fight bosses.

22. noahx

noahx

Torsh, my suggestion is to remove the "chance" word from the main scope of the game. Most, if not all, of RPG games are based on probability, chance to hit, chance to do certain damage (within a given range), chance to block, chance to find items, etc., so chance is there no matter what.
    You need to clearly define the game mechanics/gameplay in order to move forward with your game.

23. Torsh

Torsh

We're going to have others step in to further develop the mechanics of our game, whether their ideas are the same or not. I will then try to move on from design to programming.

24. Torsh

Torsh

So I have a 20 person team. It sounds like a lot but we have to rely on 2-3 motivated individuals at any given time.

I wanted to fill the game designer role, I have years of experience at writing. But I have failed as a game designer by not being able to explain my ideas correctly to the large minority or the majority of people.

I now have to pick up programming. It's hard to fail programming because errors are pointed out by the program and can be fixed. It's harder to fix game design problems unless you have the proper experience at it, and even then, you can get writer's block.

Also, if you ever want to see an example of my writing abiity, I can PM you an example of where I'm in what I consider my prime.

If all 20 people were working on this game, we would have definite progress. But there are only about 2 besides me. It is possible to make progress somehow though, 1337_hax_ftw is making progress on his game(s).

Contrary to popular belief, I can program. But when I try to program, me being the designer, my mind fills with all game ideas that are impossible to make. While I can't make a full GDD to limit feature creep because of the problems outlined above.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this post, but since some of these things I haven't talked about or discussed fully, I thought I'd post and maybe get some feedback.

25. noahx

noahx

Torsh... please... be realistic. You don't have a 20 person team if you can rely only on two or three of them. So your team is just three people and start with that. You don't need more people in this phase when you are putting your ideas on paper.

Anyway, I sent you a PM for some more specific advice.

26. Torsh

Torsh

Thanks for the help. It's too bad you didn't understand it very well. It's strange how some people barely get my ideas and some completely get it, both going off the same information.

:)

27. noahx

noahx

hehe man, with your answers like "yes" and "no" it was clear I couldn't dig more into the idea of the game. Since you have the ideas and you "write" I was expecting way more than a yes and a no to my questioning.
    But it's cool, no drama, just pointing that out, so you can improve communication with your team since it's a key element to run the project in the right direction.

Good luck

28. Torsh

Torsh

Expect the game to start with a menu screen and then tell a story which can be skipped. You will end up in the Kelk Village arena with 9 piles of cards. From those 9 limitless piles, it's possible to draw 1 of 18 cards. Programming will tell when some cards are suppose to happen. After fighting a boss or two, you will start to unlock dungeons. This is where you navigate dungeons by clicking on arrow keys that move Cleo. Upon entering certain rooms of the dungeon, you will face cards.

Text distinguishes what monster comes from the "monster" or "boss" card.

The best way of leveling up is to fight enemies and bosses. Buying or finding weapons and armor will also help your stats. There are no different classes for your character, though.

The battle system is automatic and once enabled, relies on chance that is based on stats. Getting a card which gives you 1.25x magic or the possibility of a one-hit kill shot ahead of time to enhance you will help you a little.

Look at the 18 cards to see what the cards do.

And thanks.

29. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

Sounds boring. To me, it sounds like a random menu game. Like one turn, I might be able to attack and another turn, I might be able to defend or cast a spell.

Isn't that the same as every turn based RPG battle, except all you have done is take out the options and put it all down to chance.

You may as well play Candyland to decide the outcome of a battle.

30. Torsh

Torsh

Here is an example of when you encounter a monster:

Running will always work on non-bosses.

31. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

You haven't really left space for the card image

32. Torsh

Torsh

Yeah, it's just an example.

33. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

Will there be a backdrop behind the card ? will the card be detailed in a fantasy fashion ?

34. Torsh

Torsh

Yes, a 3D backdrop, and yes.

35. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

Have you made any progress at all ?

36. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

Like I said, boring. All you've done is take the worst parts of every JRPG and put them into one space. Random battles, random chance (chance is by definition, random, but I felt the prefix was justified in this thread), limited menu options, no strategy, grinding.

Like I said, you may as well play CandyLand or Snakes and Ladders to determine the outcome of a battle.

37. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I disagree with the random battle and chance part but agree with everything else.

38. Torsh

Torsh

We've made progess. We've:
    Started with an idea. (me)
    Created a storyline. (me and Mickylee)
    Made the concepts for 18 cards. (me)
    We have someone working on terrain. (JoshSavage)

It takes awhile to make a game.

39. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

Some amateurs do it in 48 hrs as part of a team.

40. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

Thats a bit of an exaggeration dont you think ? it depends on the skills of the team and the quantity. Although that being said this WIP isn't really going anywhere you're creating substantial things and tip - toeing around what you actually have to do, so instead of creating terrains and menu's make the core scripts for your game then build up

41. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

Nah, when the World Wide 48hr Game Jam is on (usually over the Christmas break), I can go down to the local polytech (I guess that's like the NZ equivelent of community college), and join up with a team. Some people might be more experienced than others. But it's all about getting some experience, having fun, eating heaps of junk food and soft drink and making something (the one near me used Silverlight last year to develop their games). Most of them were polytech students but several high school students attended. They have 48 hours and create a game.

If something like that was happening near Torsh and 1337haxftw, I'd recommend they go along and get some actual team experience, help out on a project, even if it was something like "making terrain" or even "ideas man".

edit : It's called Global Game Jam, not WW Game Jam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Game_Jam

42. save

save

There's a huge difference from being in the same room and collaborating over wire. When you crunch everything down to 48 hours, quality regarding visual presentation, accessibility, interactions and optimizations is overly compromised. Nevertheless much of the stuff that is created within a small time frame in a tight group is often quite impressive. Play testing, tweaking and bug fixing is a very important and time consuming task though.

43. varedis

varedis

It's been over 2 weeks since your initial post about this project, you should have at least a basic playable prototype if you were working solo. With a 20 person team I would expect a much more polished prototype leading in to a final game. That is unless everyone is kicking their heals and procrastinating because they don't really have an idea of what they are doing.

44. Torsh

Torsh

So nobody agrees with me that this game should take 6 months to make? If it takes 6 months, then a prototype toward a finished product should be reasonable in about 3 months.

45. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

You're clearly not listening to anyones criticism, you're not doing anything to even ge started as i said dont tip toe around to making the core scripts. If you dont you wont get anywhere

46. Torsh

Torsh

That's not entirely true. I'm trying to discuss the criticisms with 1337_hax_ftw.

47. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

its been a while since you first started your other thread asking for a collaboration and you haven't made any progress at all. You should have prototype at least of the basic gameplay

48. 1337_hax_ftw

1337_hax_ftw

Two weeks. TWO WEEKS. Do you people honestly think that's enough time to make a good (and by good, I mean PERFECT. the reason I say perfect is because every troll in these forums expects you to be a god at what you do, otherwise they think you suck.) prototype/demo?

6 months. That's a good estimate. 3 months for a prototype. You have to think about time. Just because it's been a couple weeks since the first thread doesn't mean we have a demo to end all demos. (that's what trolls want for some reason.)

Take nintendo. How long does it take for them to make a game? If it's a good one, at least a year. And their team is massive. And they have tons of money to work with. And they have the space, and the equipment. Meanwhile....we're a 20-man team with a handful of active members. Working on a card game. Do you honestly think we'll be able to make a great game, or even a great demo, in two weeks?!

Have you people even sat down and thought about what it takes to make a great game? Have you ever thought about how much time goes into it? If you expect us to have a great demo that even resembles what the game is supposed to be, and gives the player a huge tast of what's to come (other than just a world), then you need to think again.

I agree with the 6 month time span. And the 3 month expectancy for the demo. There's nothing unreasonable about this.

49. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

@1337_hax_ftw + Torsh: Please stop saying you're a 20 man team unless they are all active. It only makes you look childish. At the very least get in contact with all the supposed team members and get a clear yes or no from them. It's the least you could do, being the directors and all.

@everyone else: Don't post unless you're interested or have something helpful to say. Criticizing them about their lack of a demo will not get it done any faster.

50. 1337_hax_ftw

1337_hax_ftw

I agree with both of those statements. ESPECIALLY that last one, because nobody seems to do that no matter who tells them to or how many times they're told.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.