Search Unity

CharacterController.isGrounded: what collision checks are done?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by vincentellis, May 30, 2017.

1. vincentellis

vincentellis

What kind of collision logic is done in order to enable the isGrounded flag on the Unity CharacterController? Does it check for the ground? Does it check the normal of the surface below? How does it work?

2. vincentellis

vincentellis

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's based on the nVidia Character Controller, and uses raycasts for everything. It does not care what normals the surface has*, and will only report 'collisions' in the direction of Move as this will then cast rays.

*If slope limit, then it will simply not move there, and is the case where the normals are actually checked against.

There is also a confusing rigidbody based one that's lurking in standard assets, but I'm assuming you mean the built in raycast one.

4. lordofduct

lordofduct

As the documentation says:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/CharacterController-isGrounded.html

Basically if the last call to move adjusted the CharacterController in such a manner that it struck a surface on the lower sphere of the capsule, it's considered grounded.

Not I also linked to the PhysX documentation in your other thread about CharacterController. If you have more questions, try keeping the threads consolidated.

hippocoder likes this.
  5. Atto2O

Atto2O

Hi, with this "lower sphere of the capsule" do you mean collider cpasule?

While jumping, my isGrounded pop on roof collision, and some times(really rare) on walls. Do you have any clue what can it be? or it's a normal performance?