Search Unity

CharacterController doesn't get pushed by objects?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Skyvastern, May 4, 2020.

1. Skyvastern

Skyvastern

Okay so I don't know what I am doing wrong, but due to some reason my player with a character controller component isn't getting pushed by objects ( having simple box colliders etc. ). The behaviour is very weird. I have also shared a link to a video where I have demonstrated my issue.

So in the most basic setup, I have -
    • Capsule - Player ( Character Controller and a BasicMovement script )
    • Cube - Big ( Box Collider )
    • Cube - Small ( Box Collider )

So if I just move the player it ofcourse get stopped by these two cubes. But if I move the cubes towards player instead then they either just went straight ahead without colliding , or only the big cube collides. Not the small one. Not sure what is happening wrong here. Here's the code -

BasicMovement script

Code (CSharp):
    1. CharacterController characterController;
    2. public float speed = 2f;
    3. public bool enableGravity; // Just for debugging purpose
    5. private Vector3 velocity;
    7. void Start()
    8. {
    9.     characterController = GetComponent<CharacterController>();
    10. }
    12. void Update()
    13. {
    14.     Vector2 dir = new Vector2(Input.GetAxis("Horizontal"), Input.GetAxis("Vertical")).normalized;
    16.     if(enableGravity)
    17.     {    
    18.          // 1 out of 2 cubes collide and move the player
    19.          velocity = transform.forward * dir.y + transform.right * dir.x + Vector3.up * -2f;
    20.     }
    21.     else
    22.     {        
    23.          // 0 out of 2 cubes collide and player remains stationary
    24.          velocity = transform.forward * dir.y + transform.right * dir.x;          
    25.     }
    27.     characterController.Move(velocity * speed * Time.deltaTime);
    28. }
    What I have found is that if I use a velocity on characterController.Move() which has a normal x and z velocity but a 0 on the y axis, then none of the cubes is able to push the player. But if I add some y value to the velocity like -2 then the cube is able to push the player. But only the larger one. The smaller one is still unable to push the player. This is a very weird behaviour, don't know what I am doing wrong.

Here is a video demonstrating my problem -