Search Unity

Character walks in the wall

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Onsic, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Onsic

Onsic

Every time i start the game, my character spawns in the wall even though i make a spawn point in the middle of the map, he gets teleportet to the wall, even though i delete the wall he gets teleportet to the location of the wall :confused:

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Allow me to consult my crystal ball.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

After a cursory glance at the crystal ball, I am unable to see anything except a strange looking gerbil which is rubbing its face against a keyboard. This at first glance, doesn't appear to relate to your question, so perhaps I can't help.

4. TheCasual

TheCasual

rofl ....!

5. Meltdown

Meltdown

What the gerbil is trying to type as it rubs it's face on the keyboard is that your character probably has the run's and needs the loo. Are you sure you don't have a toilet collider in the location your character keeps spawning to?

6. TheCasual

TheCasual

Well , so far completely derailed... can you post your spawn code , etc .. its prolly a silly problem , but without the info , at best , its just not possible to pin point anything.

7. Onsic

Onsic

I've just created a empty object named it spawn, and locate where i want it to be, and then attached it to the game character

8. TheCasual

TheCasual

Hmm that doesnt really make sense ... you have no code you can show , of where / how this char is spawned into the scene .. or maybe im missing something totally here...

9. Onsic

Onsic

10. tatelax

tatelax

Actually, I think I know the answer to your problem. Check if your player has an animation attached to it, if so delete it.

11. Onsic

Onsic

I'm new to Unity.. so what do you mean when you so say animation, because i only have platformercontroller, character controller attached to the character :)

12. tatelax

tatelax

It will look just like those, except it's an animation. Check if you have an animation attached to ANYTHING in your scene, and delete it.

13. TheCasual

TheCasual

Hmm , to be honest that video didnt help much ... adding the spawn point to the character, and having the character still in scene... (ideally spawning a character means , it wasnt in the scene to start with...) the entire process just seems messed to me... i did skip to where you said in time , maybe i will watch your whole video and see if i can spot whats goin on there....

14. Onsic

Onsic

could you give an example to what an animation could be? i've given the floor and walls colors and so, that isn't a animation is it ?

15. TheCasual

TheCasual

No its not , in the gameObject there would be an animation component (delete it) ... but im guessing you have no animations , as its a capsule .. and if you dont know about , i find unlikely you added one,

16. Onsic

Onsic

the what could be the problem ?
    would it help deleting the character and making a new on just like it

17. TheCasual

TheCasual

Gimme ten or twenty minutes to watch through the entire vid , i will post back if tate hasnt gotten to the bottom of it by than....

18. TheCasual

TheCasual

Ok, so i watched the entire video... and to be honest , im not sure why you have chosen to do things the way you have, but i honestly recommend getting just a little more *Unity workflow* under the belt... a good 8 minutes is spent of ten minutes making things astheticly appealing ....

At any rate, with all the importing of *Unity assets , scripts, and than you deleting them all off the capsule , it seems as if your making it more confusing than it needs to be. If by some chance you just can not get a player spawn working at all... give me a pm

19. tatelax

tatelax

Delete your character, and re-make it. Reattach the components to it. If it still moves by itself, then it could be the script. Double check you are typing it right.

20. HolBol

HolBol

Also, wrong section, mate.

21. Onsic

Onsic

Deleting the character and creating a new one does not work

22. TheCasual

TheCasual

I would advise custom coding your controller, as the amount of importing you do , just to attach scripts , that you than deleted, seems counter productive... when within a few lines of code (quite literally just a few) you could have all that up and running , no imported assets at all.

23. goat

goat

check that you are consistent with your local vs global coordinates.

24. Meltdown

Meltdown

OnSic,

Unfortunately you are at too beginner a level in Unity for us to really help you.

Do the platform character tutorial

Then perhaps the FPS tutorial

Both these tutorials give you step by step instructions on taking assets and completing a game. And they show you how to do things correctly in Unity. which it seems at the moment you have no idea.

Trust me, once you've done these tutorials, you will have a much better understanding to make your game.