Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Character System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RobinS, Jul 13, 2012.

1. lzt120

lzt120

As I see in the package, there is no hit animation in this package

2. PlayingKarrde

PlayingKarrde

I have a couple of questions that I would love if someone could help me with.

1) The fact all the locomotion is controlled by root motion is really bothering me (and the fact that I want to replace the animations with animation that doesn't include root motion is also a nuisance). Where can I set the root motion for the locomotion? I want to keep it for attacks and actions, but I want to control the RB by script much like the swimming or flying is.

2) Where can I set up the player so he will move in the direction the camera is facing instead of constantly forward when in orbit mode? I want to set up the camera to act like Dark Souls so I orbit around the character with the mouse and the character will move and face the direction when I press forward. Basically I'm asking to make movement camera relative in orbit mode as right now orbit mode is useless.

If I can figure these two things out I'll almost likely continue to use this as a base for my character controller, but right now I'm starting to think maybe I'll just use it as reference and start everything from scratch, which tbh is a bit annoying and also a waste of money.

3. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

Hey! This is maybe a weird question but... how can i make the character run on the Y axis and not on the Z axis.
    i think to explain the reason would take some time so i just leave it as it is :)

4. Exeneva

Exeneva

Not sure about #1, but #2 is easily possible by reading the comments in the script and editing it.

Has anyone had the issue of the character just sliding on the ground automatically after making a ragdoll?

5. atmosinteractive

atmosinteractive

I just purchased the character system and so far I'm liking it. However, at a surface glance looking at the state system it looks like it's not able to have cross animations/states. for example if I want the character to be able to attack AND run at the same time or jump and attack while jumping this is not implemented. so my question is, to go about implementing this are there any major things to look out for before I break it? I imagine it would be just a matter of adding some other state animations and controller states with the proper logic, is that correct? Or is this something that is already possible and just needs to be enabled?

6. mcconrad

mcconrad

i'm pretty sure you could just use an avatar mask or the humanoid ignore system in the clips themselves to achieve blending of run/attack states like running with a pistol drawn and masking out the legs for the fire/recoil on the upper body and vice versa for the legs. unless i am misunderstand what you are asking?

7. atmosinteractive

atmosinteractive

The blending of the animations isn't the issue, its the actual code since it's using a FSM , there is no JUMP_ATTACK state only JUMP and ATTACK, so you can't do both at the same time, you have to wait for the character to be on the ground before the option to attack is possible.

8. Archania

Archania

Untrue. You can have a mask for the lower body while the upper is the shooting. It has been done. Mask the legs and you can run/shoot at the same time.
    The code might have to be changed but you can run/shoot at the same time.

9. Arcanor

Arcanor

I notice that in the latest version (5.1) there doesn't seem to be a way to turn off Apply Root Motion, as the ninja's Animator component says "Handled by script" instead of offering the usual on/off checkbox. Did I miss something, or is it still being worked on, or is this no longer on the to-do list?

For my MMORPG this is a show stopper. What's the status Robin?

10. Grespon

Grespon

I'm finding the character movement really weird.. Couldn't adjust it in the Inspector settings..

I need a constant speed, like most games. This seems to have a slow down each two steps, you know? Too clunky.
    Also, when you cycle left - front - right - back - left there's a weird slowdown at the rigth->back transition. It may be 'more realistic' but it's too clunky for a good gameplay.

The rest of the asset seems to be awesome. I would love to learn how to fix this behaviors if there's a way.

11. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

has anyone been able to impliment some damage and combat into this character system?

also i purchased the cs + veteran pack, and it's not updated to the newest version of cs like this is........ can we get an update?

12. Archania

Archania

I have implemented a health system plus a damage/shooting system for both the pistol and rifle. Combined with RAIN for the enemy ai and I'm getting good results so far.

13. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

This is the main reason I never had interest on buying this system.

14. scarpelius

scarpelius

My character have a shield. Can the system be adjusted to have a shield and or a second weapon for dual wield?

15. RobinS

RobinS

Hi,

@Arcanor, You can exclude OnAnimatorMove line 248 - 256. That should give you the option to turn it off/on on Animator level.

@Grespon, Bruno, Movement is driven by root motion by default. You can scripts the movement by your self by disableing it. (see answer above)

@scarpelius , Yes, you can assign weapons like you wish. Just look how i made this for the 1H sword etc.

Cheers!

16. Arcanor

Arcanor

Awesome, thanks for the reply Robin. :) I was trying to resist hacking the code too much, but if this is the way to go then no problem.

17. mcconrad

mcconrad

a bit frustrated now that it has been a month since i submitted this and i have yet to receive a reply since that and even that was a bump from previous post.

edit: is this product being updated to the new mecanim system in the near future? it could be easily sped up and have much of the code reduced by switching from setbools to settriggers and using animation events, and before i completely change all the heroctrl code, i was wondering if that was already being worked on by you, @robins. because if i change it all myself and you submit a new version, all my work becomes useless as i cannot upgrade it to future changes.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  18. RobinS

RobinS

Hi mcconrad,

Firstly sorry for the silence i'm way to busy at the moment to get everything under one hood. But the Character system is still under development and i will do my best to fix possible bugs.
    I use the Character system myself for our current projects and am happy with its functionality. Features i implement on the way could make it in the next updates if not to specialized to the general needs. Settriggers are ok for some behaviors but are not useful when you need that condition longer then one frame. It's up to the user and a matter of minutes to implement. Like events. Use them if you want. Changing a feature will make part of the user base happy and some angry because their modification depended on it.
    To your sliding problem; You could lock the rigid body axis while in idle state, the unlock once leaving that state.

Cheers!

19. mcconrad

mcconrad

thank you, i went ahead and made my modifications.

i have run into a different problem, though. i am trying to use addexplosiveforce right after forcing my character to ragdoll, however it is not receiving any force, just falls down limp. i have tried turning off isKinematic on the main rigidbody, but that doesn't affect the problem. something is essentially telling the ragdoll that it should not be affected by physics the instant the explosive force is generated.

i event wrote a recursive script to go thru every rigidbody in the character and all children and apply the explosive force, but every time their velocities have been zero'd out.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  20. mcconrad

mcconrad

nvm i got it. using startRagdoll = true; wasn't fast enough, so i made the function StartRagdoll() public, and now it finds the rigidbodies in time.

21. vjanomolee

vjanomolee

Hi. Love the product!

Im having a bit of trouble getting things working with my own character.
    I followed the youtube videos on setting everything up - Everything seems like I've ALMOST got everything setup right but somethings not quite right making the character flail out of control randomly and float around....

Odd.

Can anyone take a look at this just for a moment to see if you notice the problem? Please?
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...rs/Captn_Longfingers1/Captn_Longfingers1.html

I would post a package of my scene but I think that would mean it had the character system in it too so. Hopefully just looking at that web player will be enough.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  22. snowcult

snowcult

Would it be possible to use this in conjunction with Realistic FPS Prefab? I really just want a 3rd person controller/character but using the RFPS kit. Would it even be worth it? Or should I just rework the camera and add in a body model. Sorry, still new to all this.

23. mcconrad

mcconrad

yah he's not becomming grounded. you need to adjust his "grounded distance" setting in the inspector in the heroctrl script plus make sure his collider is precisely at his feet

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  24. RobinS

RobinS

Hi all,

I'm glad you found a solution and i was already about to suggest to take a look at StartRagdoll ;-) That's also a good example on how to add explosive forces to specific joints.
    Thanks! Glad to hear that ;-) I guess McConrad is right. Do you have it working now?
    I haven't used this asset but basically everything is possible with the Character System since the source code is included. It's worth it for sure. You would learn a ton and would end up with new features for your game.
    Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  25. Exeneva

Exeneva

Hey there, one thing I noticed with the Character System is the fact that the character will go into falling state even for a very short drop, like stepping over a rock. Normally, a character would resume movement since the 'drop' is such a miniscule amount of distance and keep moving forward quite quickly, but in Character System the character drops, lands, and then starts moving again. Is there any way to fix or change this?

26. FleepLoovay

FleepLoovay

Hello Robin

Is there an easy way to start the character without a weapon and add a sword, a pistol a rifle... when he find one ?

And possibly change one weapon (he first use a M16, then he finds an ak47 ...)

27. drewradley

drewradley

Are the ninja and veteran actually the same version? If so, why is there a huge difference in the date they were updated?

28. Archania

Archania

The ninja was first then when the update for mecanim came he made the veteran.

29. vjanomolee

vjanomolee

ya after tweaking a lot I got him to be grounded. (wish there was a visual way of aligning that).
    But now I have a few more issues I was hoping you could help with. Here is the current web player and a list of problems:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...ngfingers2/Flying Problem/Flying Problem.html
    -
    1. Jumps weird
    2. Flying doesn’t work properly
    3. holding up makes him do the OK fingers pose
    4..Cant seem to climb anything.
    5. 1,2,3 do change the camera but not how its supposed to be.

Also here is a screen shot of my Hero script settings:
    $Hero Ctrl and Camera settings.png

30. vjanomolee

vjanomolee

Anyone have any clue whats going on here?
    Is the scale of my character wrong? I've tried it with multiple different scale settings- same results...

Is there other information I could provide that would make it easier for someone to help me diagnose the problem?

31. mcconrad

mcconrad

a) i cant see anything from that screenshot because of the resolution so your hCtrl settings are just blurry nothings, sorry.
    #1. this has been addressed many times and i bet you mean he hangs for a second after landing or he pauses before becoming mobile again. you need to adjust the transition timing from the airtime states to landing. if you need more specific examples, PM me.
    #3. means he is running (or thinking he is) into something. you can turn off the boolean for can wall run to fix that. also looks like he might be running into his own collider, so check that your ignore collisions layers in hCtrl are the layers involved with your player.
    #4. making climbing work means you absolutely have to follow the rules from previous posts. z axis must face out, pivot must be at the top of the object. there are other requirements, but read the posts and you will see the pattern.

as for #2 and #5 you have to be more specific.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  32. vjanomolee

vjanomolee

Hey mcconrad. Thanks for you help.
    a)- Really? I just clicked it and it looks fine in Chrome, Firefox and Safari???
    1. I will check to see if that is the issue. but the problem is not as you described. He kind of spazes out a bit halfway through the jump.
    3. thanks I will check that to see if it fixes the problem tonight when I get home from work.

and for 2. and 5. (well all of them really) I was hoping someone could actually just click the web player link to check out the web player I made to see the problem rather than me typing out a lengthy explanation that might be ill-informed anyhow.

Seems like a much better way to diagnose things. Again I appreciate your time (and anyone else willing to help out) Just seems more efficient for the details of my problems to be explained by the web player.

33. mcconrad

mcconrad

i did check the webplayer, but "not how it's supposed to be" doesn't mean anything. how is it supposed to be? works fine and as intended when i see it.

34. thendricks

thendricks

Any chance we could get a few more animations for the veteran. No shooting game is complete without the strafing animations, and the only problem is that there's an animation for the character walking forwards with the weapons poised, but there's no strafing/walking backwards with weapons poised. Including this would be a real help, but apart from that the animations do deliver and are definitely AAA quality.

35. Archania

Archania

You can always buy additional animations from many sources and add it it. I have replaced a couple of the animations that came with the system for my character's reload, and shooting simply because what came with the system didn't work with the weapon that I am using.

36. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Any chance of providing moving platform support? What I mean is getting the character to:

1. stay on a moving platform or elevator without exhibiting weird behavior, and

2. be able to move around on the platform, while the platform itself is moving.

I've tried parenting characters to the platform, and alternatively enabling/disabling physics, gravity, and rigidbody kinematics, but nothing currently seems to work. The character either can't move at all, or slides off the back once the platform starts moving, or jerks up and down in the case of elevators.

By contrast, the demo third party character from the new Standard Assets beta release has no problems at all being parented to a moving platform. The only other step is to animate physics on both the platform and character animators. Once parented, the character is free to wander around, exactly the way it does on the ground, no matter what the platform does. I realize it uses a different character controller (the supplied Third Person Animator Controller), but is there no way to get a Character System character to synch itself with a moving platform like this?

I've seen plenty of other threads asking about this, but no answers that are compatible with Character System so far. If parenting isn't the best approach, what else would work?

Edit: OK, since nobody else has answered, here's what I've found so far. If I parent my character to a platform that uses an imported FBX based animation, I have nothing but problems. If I animate the parent object using Unity's built in Animation Window, I can parent to it properly, and move around on the platform while it moves. It seems that not all animation is created equal in Unity.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  37. Exeneva

Exeneva

Hey there, one thing I noticed with the Character System is the fact that the character will go into falling state even for a very short drop, like stepping over a rock. Normally, a character would resume movement since the 'drop' is such a miniscule amount of distance and keep moving forward quite quickly, but in Character System the character drops, lands, and then starts moving again. Is there any way to fix or change this?

38. softrare

softrare

Hi! I purchased the Veteran + Mecanim CS. Huge number of animations, very nice, but I noticed that, when you attach a sword to a character, he can move normally, but when he draws the sword he cannot move anymore, until you put away the sword again. Is that a bug in the mecanim version of the Character System, or what could that be? Thanks in advance!

39. Archania

Archania

That is strange. Never happened with the demo for me. I'll double check with mine and see. Does it work with the demo scene?

40. softrare

softrare

Thank you for answering! In the demo scene (veteran), it works. He can grab his rifle and walk.

I didn't change any code nor the Mecanim controller, but when my guy grabs his sword, he is able to swing his sword and able to evade on double movement-button press, but he is unable to walk normally, and stays in sword_idle animation (MoveTreeSword state) indefinitely until I make him put away the sword, then he switches to normal idle animation and is able to walk again. Need help. I tried to fix it but I am just not that good with Mecanim, yet.

41. tomaz52

tomaz52

Hello I bought this pack a few months, I need to know if this package has support for android.

42. softrare

softrare

It was my mistake, I must have indeed messed with the controller, sorry. Issue resolved :)

43. _kuroneko

_kuroneko

I ported this to android with onscreen controls.I think there is a bug using melee. when I punched then pressed the draw weapon button,the punch animation combo will loop until you press the draw weapon again, Also doing a combo is kinda hard, Is there a way to do a combo by pressing the attack button continuously?

44. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

I'm having trouble transitioning from swimming to climbing, as in getting to the edge of a pool, and climbing out. This sort of worked (intermittently) in V3, but the Mecanim version seems to be dead in the water (pardon the pun) in this regard. I've set up various different climb colliders, and they work as long as I walk up to them, but if I swim up to them, it's like they aren't there. Looking at the state machine, I can't even find a direct path from swimming to climbing, without going through an idle standing state first. Is this intended behavior, or did someone just forget to include this functionality?

If it just isn't included in the code, I guess I'll either try to put it in myself, or design around the problem, but if it's supposed to work, are there any special tips or tricks to doing it?

I'd also like to see an answer to Exeneva's question about going into a falling state when walking down a shallow slope, ramp or stairs. I understand that this behavior probably stems from using a rigid body, and gravity, and that when you run down stairs too fast, the laws of physics probably ensure you'll get airborne sometimes. But game speeds don't always reflect reality, and it would be nice if our game characters could handle slopes a bit more gracefully, without a) slowing down too much, b) fiddling with gravity or grounded distance, or c) going into a disruptive fall state every few steps.This is really annoying, and I can't find a setting to adjust the sensitivity or threshold at which it happens, other than setting the grounded distance or gravity really high. It would be nice if there was a minimum time threshold that the character could be ungrounded before triggering the fall state. Either that, or reduce the recovery time after falling so the character could resume running right away. If these things are hard coded into the state machine or control script somewhere, could you point me to where so I can change it?

Thanks.

45. tomaz52

tomaz52

I have the same problem, the character can't climb outside of pool.
    And i have another problem and when i mark the option "can rag doll" the player when fallen down of plataform it does a ragdoll but dont return to normal, maybe be better he stay in ragdoll.

46. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Have you tried adjusting the End Rag Force parameter in the Hero Ctrl script? If set too low, it might prevent your character from recovering automatically. A value of 0.25 should work fine. Otherwise, hitting the Jump button should force a recovery.

There's also a delay value, that controls how long it takes to go into the Ragdoll state after you start falling. This seems like the kind of thing we need on the fall state itself, to stop it from triggering every time you walk down stairs for instance.

47. Dustin88

Dustin88

would this be ez to implement into the Photon Bootcamp Multilayer

48. jf3000

jf3000

As usual author disappears when people need help the most, really annoys me when they just leave.

49. Archania

Archania

jf3000, did you try sending him an email?
    He is usually pretty good getting back to them. Hopefully he isn't on vacation or anything.

50. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

No posts from Robin on the forum since March. Nice vacation if that's what it is. :(
    Pretty slow here right now.