Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Character System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RobinS, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Ron-Wilson

Ron-Wilson

Thanks Robin for the quick reply and the docs, I have them in my hand now.........many thanks.
    Ron Wilson

2. mcconrad

mcconrad

robin,
    some of my testers find the combat system where the animation makes the player move to be cumbersome when trying to target things as often they will go passed the target during a chain combo, so my next question is 2 parts:
    1) is there a simple way to toggle it so that the combat moves do not move the root (i.e. the player stays in place) (toggle, so i can turn it on/off)
    OR
    2) the player turns toward a game object target during the animations?

i know of some ways to do both of these (basically using the root and hero.LookAt), but might not be the best ways, so i was wondering if there is already something built in that could be adapted to do this or if you had planned to add this in a future update rather than me building a system into the hCtrl?

EDIT: i made an auto-target turn script, so really i just need to be able to toggle off the root motion that moves the player during combat animations, but turn it back on at other times.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  3. Lucas-mv

Lucas-mv

Hi Robin, just purchased the system. It's impressive so far.

I have a very noob question: how do I set up the following function?:

If left shift + any of the W/A/S/D key is pressed, the character evades in that direction? I've been trying to tweak the fixedUpdate section but modifying the evade seems kinda complicated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  4. jeremiasz

jeremiasz

You must necessarily add code/animations for picking up objects from ground! Please :)

5. mcconrad

mcconrad

that is waaay out of scope for her system i would guess. well, the pickup and inventory code anyway. the animation is fairly easy to add, just look at the states for push,pull, dance, etc. and add one for ground pickup.

as for the pickup and put into bags/inventory code, there are other packages that deal with that. i use a heavily modified version of brackys' Inventory: http://u3d.as/5et

6. code749

code749

is it possible to sneak and shoot /take cover and shoot.i have bought the package and just wondering if you can add that please

thank you

!100000 percent recommend to buy this asset

7. jeremiasz

jeremiasz

So Robin is a girl? I don't know why I thought about Robin as of a man ;) Thanks for reply. By "grabing things from ground" I mean character crouching, reaching hand out to the object and grabbing e.g. sword by the handle. Like here (00:40): http://youtu.be/TL-y76kAArI
    I belive it has something in common with inverse kinematics stuff. And I think that it should be incorporated into the package.

8. mcconrad

mcconrad

i am not really sure as to robin's sex, but as for the other part: IK is only supported in unity pro, but unless you need that animation to 100% match up to the item on the ground and don't want to approximate it via raycast checks, then a simple animation state in mecanim would do the trick. then in script you would just attach the item to your player's hand (ideally using two invisible weapon holder objects as children of hand bone and weapon pivot). i was incorrectly assuming in previous comment that you wanted to add the item to some sort of inventory/bag system, so ignore that part. anyway, if you make an animation like that or find some on the web, i could show you how to add it; otherwise would have to wait for robin to say yea or nay for adding it to next update.

9. RobinS

RobinS

You're welcome ;-)
    Rootmotion is applied in OnAnimatorMove(), HeroCtrl. You could simply add if(!st.IsTag("Attack")) as a condition for the root motion calculation.
    Now you can add the "Attack" tag to all your fight animation clips.
    Thank you, glad to hear ;-) You can trigger it straight forward like this :
    if(doLShift doRight) { a.SetBool("Evade_R", true); } // Evade to the right
    Maybe in a future update, Noted! ;-)
    At the moment you would have to take cover manually, i can't promise a gears of war type of duck and shoot system. Maybe in a future update.

Thank you!

Cheers!

10. Lork

Lork

Right now that's not really possible because as far as I know there are no real "crouching/crouch-walking" animations in the package. There are "sneaking" animations, but they barely lower the profile of the character, so they're not suitable for ducking behind cover.

I agree that a full cover system is asking for a bit much (but hey, you could always surprise/amaze us), but adding the ability to crouch would be something that everybody could appreciate, I think. That way we could at least take cover the old fashioned way, in addition to all the other uses for crouching in video games.

11. mcconrad

mcconrad

it is fairly easy to add animation states to the state machine using mecanim and it is EXTREMELY easy to switch out the crouch animation for one hugging the ground closer if that is what you want, so i wouldn't say it is impossible at all. you just need to tweak it to your games' needs and usage.

12. Lork

Lork

Where is this animation where the character is "hugging the ground closer"? Obviously it would be simple to apply such an animation if I had it, but that would require the animation to actually exist, no? I would be happy to be proven wrong if there is such an animation in the package and I'm somehow missing it.

13. mcconrad

mcconrad

sorry just a misunderstanding here. i did not mean to imply that that particular animation is part of the package, but rather that the package is set up in such as way that you can swap out the ones that come with it for others if you have another source. for example, unity has a free mocap package you can get on the asset store that has around 170 animations from idles to runs you can use, and there are paid services like mixamo were you can get almost anything you want custom made. you can also find hundreds of bvh motion capture files (you can convert these to FBX which unity handles well with a free program called blender) on sites like carnegie mellon's (http://mocap.cs.cmu.edu/)

14. Lork

Lork

Is this the free mocap package you're referring to? According to the description
    It sounds like it would require some work from somebody who is knowledgeable about animation to get it into a condition suitable for use in a game. I do not posses any such knowledge, hence why I bought this character system in the first place.

I can understand having to pay a third party for more esoteric animations, but "crouching" seems like a fundamental thing that should be covered by a complete "Character System" to me. Of course, it's up to Robin to decide whether it's worth putting in the time to do it or not, but I think it would be appreciated by many customers.

In the mean time, I will investigate that free mocap package to see if I can figure out how to get a usable animation out of it, so thank you for the tip.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  15. tomato_comet

tomato_comet

Does this system only have ledge to ledge hanging/climbing style? Is it possible to climb the face of a wall vertically and horizontally? "Spiderman" style like the climbing system in the game Shadow of the Colossus. The player can jump, ledge to ledge style, or climb any direction up a wall of vines.

PS. If you made the climbing system like Shadow of the Colossus', I would consider it an immediate purchase and bargain at even $500. That would make a brilliant package and addition to this good deal you already have. :)

example scene (4 minute mark good view): [video=youtube_share;HKxAtihFxfk]http://youtu.be/HKxAtihFxfk?t=4m1s

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  16. mcconrad

mcconrad

basically, yes it can.

17. ZJP

ZJP

Totally agree.

18. cprlrst

cprlrst

hi i'm trying to add this to my MP project but having issues with the hero cam giving the following error

but everything seems to be assigned it works fine if i have a player in the hierarchy but the moment my network script tries to load the prefab of the same player that error pops up anyone have any suggestions?

19. RobinS

RobinS

You should make sure that each player has its own camera assigned, which should be controlled by the owner player/client only. I don't know what kind of gameplay you are doing, normally you don't need to instantiate cameras from other players.

Cheers!

20. Lucas-mv

Lucas-mv

Hi Robin,

I'm trying to modify some of the input keys.

I want the player to walk by default, and, by holding shift, to run.

Can you give me a few tips on how to achieve this? which parts of the script should I be working with?

Thanks!

21. cprlrst

cprlrst

i believe this is the case the script i use spawns in a prefab of the player each time so not sure what the issue is it works fine if its just the player no errors get picked up but when you start the server that error appears

22. RobinS

RobinS

Hi Lucas,
    You can replace the animation clips in the animation controller without any problem. Even the speed will fit since it's root motion.

It's hard to tell without knowing your networking code. Maybe the reference is assigned after the server starts? You could try to assign the references earlier or just make your variable public and assign it by hand on your prefab.

Cheers

23. jeremiasz

jeremiasz

@RobinS: Have you ever thought about combining Veteran Ninja assets together? I mean two models in one package. Would be nice.

24. JamieWheatley

JamieWheatley

Hi Im not sure where to post this hopefully get a good answer here.

I have my character set up moving and animating with a walk cycle (walking) using the right arrow however I want to play a different animation for walking and shooting(walking_shooting) when I press right arrow and left mouse.

I have the fire animation working on just a mouse click.

I have the walking_shooting animation working if I change the key input to just one button.

I believe the code for the walking is cancelling out the code for the walking shooting.

Any ideas.
    Thanks

#pragma strict

var rightSpeed : float = 5.0;
    var leftSpeed : float = 4.0;
    var jumpSpeed : float = 5.0;
    var runSpeed : float = 9.0;
    var LeftTarget : Transform;
    var RightTarget : Transform;
    private var grounded = false;
    var walkshootActive : boolean = true;
    var walkActive : boolean = true;

function Start ()
    {
    animation.Play ("idle");
    walkActive = false;
    walkshootActive = false;
    }

function Update ()
    {

if (Input.GetMouseButtonDown (0))
    {
    animation.Play ("shooting");
    }

if (Input.GetMouseButtonUp (0))
    {
    animation.Play ("idle");
    }

if (Input.GetKey (KeyCode.LeftArrow))
    {
    transform.LookAt(LeftTarget);
    transform.position.x += leftSpeed * Time.deltaTime;
    animation.Play ("walking");
    }

if (Input.GetKeyUp (KeyCode.LeftArrow))
    {
    animation.Play ("idle");
    }

if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.RightArrow))
    {

walkActive = true;
    walkshootActive = false;
    }

if(Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.RightArrow) Input.GetMouseButtonDown(0))
    {

walkActive = false;
    walkshootActive = true;
    print("This may work");
    }

if (walkActive == true)
    {
    animation.Play ("walking");
    transform.LookAt(RightTarget);
    transform.position.x -= rightSpeed * Time.deltaTime;
    }

if (Input.GetKeyUp (KeyCode.RightArrow))
    {
    animation.Play ("idle");
    walkActive = false;
    }

if (walkshootActive == true)
    {
    animation.Play ("walking_shooting");
    walkActive = false;
    transform.LookAt(RightTarget);
    transform.position.x -= rightSpeed * Time.deltaTime;
    }

if(Input.GetKeyUp(KeyCode.RightArrow) Input.GetMouseButtonUp(0))
    {
    animation.Play ("idle");
    walkshootActive = false;
    }

25. mcconrad

mcconrad

this kind of code wouldn't work well (it can be done, but might be not the best idea to do so) because robin's character system is now using the mecanim system, which uses an Animator component, *not* an Animation one. the code above is using animations stored in the Animation component and calling them to play from there, which will conflict with how the Animator works.

i don't really know if unity allows you to play both kinds at the same time, but if it does, you can use a body mask on the animation clip for firing the weapon so that only the upper half receives the movement (mask out the legs). that should let your fire using the upper half of the mask and retain the walking motion from the lower.

you should also use crossfade with some of those transitions because as they are now, they will be very abrupt jumps between mousedown and mouseup during the update call. e.g. animation.CrossFade("Walk", 0.2f);

also you should probably separate all those ifs into coroutines so you can control the transitions between animations better (using a Lerp so they turn/move smoother over time and crossfades between the animation clips) and because the update function can become a performance hog if it gets too bloated (remember each player is calling update every time, and all the other scripts using it too).

26. cprlrst

cprlrst

i believe it's now the prefab thats been created where is not keeping the _Main Camera assigned to the players prefab and it doesn't give the option to assign it to the prefab as nothing appears under assets

27. jeremiasz

jeremiasz

When standing close to wall character streches out his hands to the wall. But when the character rotates - one of hands sink into the wall. My request may sound funny, but could you do to hands what you've done to feet (altering feet level when walking on uneven terrain)?

28. Bukyja

Bukyja

Hello, i'm getting a strange problem, when i click to play inside the editor, the camera starts looking down, and everytime i have to move it up, theres any method to let the camera start looking forward instead down? Anyome is getting the same problem? i've tried to contact RobinS via email but still no answear. Please, i appreciate any help tip, i'm not a programmer, but i can understand a bit :D

29. passer

passer

Hello, guys.

I want to make animation
    of character throwing an object.
    So far I've
    1) Impoirted Character fbx, character throwing animation and the object.
    2) Coded the script and have attached it to the character
    (I failed using an animation event as a trigger,
    so I had to detach the object like this)

Code (csharp):
    3. public class behav : MonoBehaviour {
    4.         public GameObject thing;
    5.         void Start () {
    6.                 GameObject hand = GameObject.Find("Bip01 R Hand");
    8.                 thing.transform.parent = hand.transform;
    9.                 thing.transform.position=hand.transform.position;
    10.         }
    12.         int n=0;
    13.         void Update(){
    14.                 if(n==0  animation["throw"].time>4.8){
    15.                         thing.transform.parent = null;
    16.                         n=1;
    17. //                      thing.animation.Play("fly17");
    18.                 }
    19.         }
    20. }
    It worked with just detaching the object.
    Ans I just had to animate it flying away inside Unity.
    3) So, I've added flight animation fly17 to the object
    And now object is kinda one meter away from the character at start

Anu ideas what's gone wrong? And how it have to be done in proper way?
    Thank you all for your answers.

30. mcconrad

mcconrad

@passer,

few suggestions:
    1) don't use parenting. instantiate the object to be thrown (or a clone, and just hide the original if it is in the hand). make a prefab with a collider and a rigidbody
    2) don't put it all in update, make it its own function/coroutine
    3) if you cannot get animation events to work, best bet is to try and time it and use yield or curves to find the right spot
    4) use normalized time, not time itself (example here )
    5) if you do figure out how to add an animation event, it gets really easy. below is a working snippet. just name the event Release in the animation clip and put this script on the object that has the animation:
    Code (csharp):
    2. function Release() {
    3.         var distanceTo: float = Vector3.Distance(target.position, hand.position);
    4.     throwingForce = distanceTo * 1000;   // change this based on the mass of your object
    5.     var thrownObj: GameObject = Instantiate(thrownObject, hand.position, hand.rotation);    // thrownObject is the prefab
    6.     thrownObj.rigidbody.AddForce(hand.transform.forward * throwingForce);
    7.     thrownObj.rigidbody.AddForce(transform.up * 5);    // change this to give more arc, or remove completely for a straight shot like bullet
    8. }
    PM me if you have questions. :D

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  31. mcconrad

mcconrad

well the only built in support for hand IK is like for feet and PRO only (correct me, someone, if i am wrong), so my suggestion would be to use a raycast from the hand to the nearest object (via transform.forward) and if it is within reaching distance (up to you to determine that based on your model), then you can push or pull the bones' transforms to match.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  32. xanthusbass1

xanthusbass1

hi i have added a game object to the guns to shoot prefab bullets.How do I get it to change to different bullet types and to not shoot when punching and kicking I cant see where to implement it into the script as i am quite new to coding

33. JohnPet

JohnPet

Robin S. I am 100% sure you have no idea how an orbit camera or character system works, do you? The character moves relative to the camera, not at a locked angle.. I hope you repair this.

34. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi,

I have been getting a NullReferenceException when the Player(Ragdoll) enters a water trigger, then recovers in its base state. Is there a way to check to see which state should be active when the ragdoll recovers?

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  35. dittt

dittt

Hi guys,

Anyone knows why my attack animations(left, right click) don't work after retargetting?
    Other animations have no problem, but only left and right click.

36. mcconrad

mcconrad

you are going to have to be more specific.

1) what animation clips are not playing? the system has multiple versions of attacks for left and right click (punch, kick, bow, gun, sword, etc).

2) to what are you retargeting? does the new character have a humanoid skeleton and its own valid avatar definition for mecanim?

37. dittt

dittt

mcconrad/ Thanks for the quick reply.

1) The animations are punch and kick, the very default ones. I didn't test bow, gun and sword animations, cause my retargeted character doesn't have those weapons with him.

2) My character was rigged as a humanoid mecanim. I think configuration was ok, so other animations like walk, run, jump, invade, throw played well.

Plus, when I check on attack1 and attack2 in parameter tab of HeroBase animator controller, then click play button, my character plays once punch and kick animations automatically and then back to idle.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  38. mcconrad

mcconrad

well since the animations are playing in other states i can only guess that you are not correctly reaching the combat states in the controller script. an easy way to check without getting into the code itself is to open up the animator window while your scene is playing, then pause it immediately after hitting any of the punch or kick buttons, then select your player in the scene hierarchy and the animator will show what state it is in.

or you can just send me a PM with your controller script and i will take a look at the code directly.

39. Allsaveone

Allsaveone

Hi! I realy enjoy your fantastic package! but not being the strongest coder i am having trouble separating the animation controll script into separate parts, ie swiming script. climbing script etc, i used your legacy package last year and realy liked that it had every thing neatly separated. any advice?

40. mcconrad

mcconrad

they are all in heroctrl.cs, separated by function and denoted by // comments for the major sections

41. arinze eze

arinze eze

Hey Robin,
    I got the Character system about a year ago but I've been away and never got to use unity till now. I get this error and can't seem to fix it -

Assets/_CharacterSystem/Character_System/Scripts/HeroCtrl.cs(134,24): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `RuntimeAnimatorController' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

I tried deleting other copies of ReloadLvl in my system and that didn't help either. Any ideas? Thnx.

42. faust

faust

I've been experimenting with Character System in combination with effects from my Acts of Magic pack. So far, Character System has been really useful for testing Mecanim's new support for Animation Events and dynamic manipulation of Mecanim from script.

Below is a video of the Character System Ninja with the spell Earthquake Romp applied to it. This was not too difficult to setup and I'm hoping to get other spell effects interoperating with Character System. I also discuss this video in this post in the Works In Progress forum.

[video=youtube_share;TppCAQYdmcI]http://youtu.be/TppCAQYdmcI

43. Grieve_physics

Grieve_physics

Trying to get a nicer MMORPG Style Control system tied in with this pack... Baby steps :)

@RobinS - Any chance of spell casting animations being added in future iterations?

44. UnladenSwallow

UnladenSwallow

Hey guys, I'm a little confused about the veteran plus character system pack. Is that pack's character system just for the veteran? Also if it is the complete character system, why is the veteran bundle 100 mb smaller?

45. mcconrad

mcconrad

@Robin,

I am nearly done with my game, but as I was making extra colliders to prevent fall-thru pass-thru, i noticed a repeatable issue with the character system that has defeated my attempts at fixing it. basically, even with mesh primitive colliders (mesh is object, prims like box are child colliders to provide more "oomph") and a maximum friction value on the material, a character can pass through them almost 100% of the time when doing an evade or jumping at an angle.

this is an extremely large issue at this point that i really need you to respond to.

thanks!

EDIT: also the bug allowing players to walk/float up vertical colliders terrain still exists, and this is a game breaker for a lot of things...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  46. cwmanley

cwmanley

47. mcconrad

mcconrad

thank you for the script suggestion but i did try that one awhile ago without success.

as for the dive section that is located in the function "void DiveRotation (float speed)" . i have never had use for it however, as it always seems to produce a null ref. error when finding the angle so i commented it out.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  48. RobinS

RobinS

Hi all,

You can use the current weapon state for that. Pseudo code : If weapon state pistol ammo > 0 Fire pistol bullets ();
    The state should go from Physics to the previous state. The null reference seems to be a little bug. Thanks for reporting i will look into it.

You could also try to remap the input attack1 and attack2 in your case. maybe that is causing issues. Does it work when you trigger them manually in the animo controller by checking the corresponding bool parameter ?
    Thanks, Glad to hear that! Swimming climbing etc. are already very modular and independent designed, you can put them in other scripts if you want. Just follow the line comments like mcconrad suggested.
    Hmm.. do you use the latest Unity version and the latest Character System version from the asset Store ? RuntimeAnimatorController is relatively new in the API.
    Awesome! Indeed the new event system is great for such features ;-)
    I put it to my list. But can't promise them in the near future
    The packages are identical except characters and the "old" demo level. The real valuable important stuff is included in both packages ;-)
    Thanks for your help! I will investigate this further. The last time i test it it worked great with primitive collider on intersection spots.
    Have you tried to increase the rigid body collision detection level ?

49. mcconrad

mcconrad

hey robin, thanks for the reply, i have been testing this vigorously and with every collision detection at the maximum and most sensitive level possible and with colliders that also have triggers that also impart a negative forward force to Rb's on impact but so far none of them have affected the evade forward and backward bug that allows the player to go right thru any collider, rb, primitive or mesh regardless of speed, mass, or thickness. i would really like to have a person-to-person session with you to see if we cannot fix this or if it is (dread) an actual physics bug in unity. please PM me if that is acceptable.

50. im

im

happy holidays / happy new year!

please look into using new unity mecanim events instead of blocking for hard coded amount of time...

thanks in advance!