Search Unity

Character System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RobinS, Jul 13, 2012.

1. snowboardkid

snowboardkid

Has anyone set this up to work with a gamepad, like an Xbox360 controller? It would be really cool to have the analog stick control the sneaking/walking/running. Also, is it easy to modify things like jump height and run speed? Thanks!

2. greenland

greenland

How is 3rd person camera implemented? I'm targeting mobile and I'd like to know if non-joystick touch controls would require me to rewrite everything completely.

3. cmart

cmart

4. Archania

Archania

I get the same thing but just install the player again and it will probably work for you. I get that from time to time so installing it again seems to solve the issue.

5. snowboardkid

snowboardkid

Hey cmart, try taking the "s" off the "https" in the address. That worked for me!

6. ZJP

ZJP

7. cmart

cmart

Thanks guys, works like a charm!

As for the asset itself, it is pretty darn cool! Although the character is a complete spazz/klutz when running :) think I might just pick this package up!

8. RobinS

RobinS

Hi all,

@PeterBrown, Thanks a lot! You're welcome. Here are some good tutorials and exercises for programming in Unity to get you started ;-)
    http://unitygems.com http://catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/ http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/185095-Unity-C-Tutorial-Series
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TornadoTwins

@snowboardkid, Yes, that can be modified easily. Haven't tired a gamepad yet, but this seems to be a good solution . http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/17669/setting-up-game-pad.html .Should be implemented within minutes ;-)

@greenland, I just cache the axis and button input. So you just can swap, for example: horizontal = Input.GetAxis("Horizontal"); with horizontal = myJoystick.position.x and so on.

@ZJP,snowboadkid, thanks guys! will the link now ;-)

9. RobinS

RobinS

By the way..
    I just prepared the new Update.
    It will contain a small bug fix and 4 new animations :D

Cheers!

10. lancer

lancer

wish I had the money to buy this :(, it looks really great RobinS!

11. SudoCat

SudoCat

Hi, I don't suppose anybody could help me figure out how to get evade to be usable from a single button? I plan on having a predominantly console based game, so it will need to be assigned to a button on a controller. I managed to get it working with the 3.5, but I looked at the new one and had no idea what to do. After a few hours of playing I haven't got anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

12. lsgheero

lsgheero

Just bought your asset but unity crashes upon import to a new project saying something about a runtime error. Anyone else getting this and know of a fix, perhaps possible to get a zip from the dev?

13. im

im

hi i just got character system and i could use a little bit of help

1. in the demo scenes the water is completely broken for unity indie (free) users. is there a way you could fix that in the future support so that the water would work as well for unity indie users. for now i disabled all the water. unity 4 comes with basic water, please consider switching to it or including support for it.

2. im getting solid 60+ fps, but the keyboard/animations appear sluggish and unresponsive. are you doing some kind of mouse smoothing, ect. also i press like key q to switch weapons but it very slow to respond and then sometimes i have to repeatedly press it to get it to switch weapons. like it ignores some of my key presses or is busy doing something, but im standing completely still. so how do i adjust all the sensitive stuff. i would like instant response. its not like my computer is doing anything much. would be nice the minute i press q it switches weapons, and does not have to wait for like a full cycle.

3. i slide all over the place. like i remove the water by the pool since water does not work and i slide down the pool slope like its very slippery and then i cant get out of it at all. like i cant run up the smallest of hills cause im sliding. often it looks like im floating on air or falling as i slide down the slope. it looks very strange like it playing the wrong animation.

4. any documentation i find 0 txt/pdf files. how am i supposed to tweak all the settings without documentation to explain it... i mean i see a lot of folders, but nothing to explain what is in them. the thing is huge without some comprehensive documentation it will be hard to use/modify/adapt.

5. where is the included retargeting guide? is this the way http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/Retargeting.html

6. the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhSIa4_6yoo if this it it then its very blurry/compressed, very unreadable. i see folders opening /closing stuff being drag around like scripts being added, but i cant make out any of it. no way to see the folder names or the script names or even the paramters.. i can barely make anything else and its run at highspeed and without anyone narrating it. and hitting pause does not make it less blurry. please release master and slow it down, plug give more notes if not have someone verbally walk people through it. remember we many like myself dont know blender at all and unity only a bit. and please release some tutorial documentation to go with it.

7. i guess CharSys_v3.3.zip has the unity legacy animation version?

thanks in advance

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  14. im

im

update ok i got my first hero sort of running around with your animations and camera

here is what i did

opened 2 instances of unity

in one instance is your package with the ninja selected so i can see it in inspector

in another instance i created a new projects and imported your package and my character package, created a new scene and dropped in one of the characters i wanted to add animations to it and a _Main Camera from your package and added a simple Terrain and Directional light.

To Animator i set Controller to HeroBase
    I made sure Avatar was to my avatar
    I made sure it hade a Rigidbody and Capsule Collider with reasonable settings
    I added a Hero Camera and Hero Ctrl
    I set Cam to _Main Camera
    I set Head Bone to Head (specific to my hero)
    To my Reference (your root) I added Rigidbody and Capsule Collider with reasonable settings

i ran into problems with the camera rubber-banding all over the place and not working as it should.

so i went back and saw that i had to adjust the Offset From Wall and Fps Cam Dist to match the ninja cause the defaults where wrong! and Hero Height to match my characters height.

then i ran into the problem that when i would run it the mouth would always be wide open. so i had to go to the model and select Rig, press Configure go to Head and set Jaw to None. then it worked!

Other than that its almost working, well i still have to do all the weapon mappings and collision on the Reference, that is for tomorrow. and figure out how to close the mouth!

please let me know what if anything else im missing and please if i made any mistakes.

i still could really use a tutorial / documentation / video / help with all the parameters that i need to set.

thanks in advance!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  15. im

im

oh now that i got my first character imported and sort of working. well except now the big thing is the keyboard responsiveness that i posted about

i need like melee animation, lots of them. any ideas... do you have any plans to add some like hitting someone with two fists, pushing them away, hitting them with bat, stabbing them with knife, and other stuff.

also can you have two 2 animation packages from different sources working together. i notice the you have base animation, but then you have like more like fly and swim. can i add more like if i buy some melee animations and will they work with yours or do i need to add them to like one of your controllers. expand on it. or perhaps create my own.

the thing is u r light years ahead of my understanding on any of this. so i appreciate the help.

also when my character is twisting right and left it rips the model, it that just cause of the animation or some other problem. can it be resolved. i dont want the model to turn so much in waist area.

also in your model ninja when you turn in a circle without moving, the feet dont do anything. so it looks like you are gliding. could u add some animation to that like the feet moving a little so it dont look weird.

and it would be nice if you offered a way to buy the veteran character model without having to buy the whole thing again. i mean i got it now this base system. sell the characters without the base systems as addon for some reasonable amounts.
    again thanks in advance

16. Hadrien

Hadrien

Hell yeah!! Can't wait :D

17. lsgheero

lsgheero

nvm I got it to work after updating unity to the latest version. Great asset thus far!

18. RobinS

RobinS

Hi,

@SudoCat, It should work the same way i mean, W,A,S,D are also buttons. Have you tried to increase the double tap time value?

@lsgheero, Edit, glad to hear that! ;-)

@im, seems good so far, your character should use the Player layer and your camera script collision layer should exclude Player. This layer is for objects the camera should avoid.
    Also thanks for your feedback i will try to fix all issues an bugs. The Veteran character will come in a single package soon. I will let you know when it's live ;-)

Cheers!

19. SudoCat

SudoCat

Sorry, I didn't clarify that very well, by that point it was nearly 5AM and my brain was not functioning at all. I'm trying to change it so that instead of requiring a double-tap to start evading, you can just press a button and it will run the roll animation in whichever direction you are moving. Unfortunately, my c# knowledge is, well, nonexistent - everything I've done so far has involved lots of Unity Docs and C# references to get anywhere. I don't suppose somebody might have the time to help explain exactly what the evade function is doing where? If not, if someone could point me perhaps in a good direction to start understanding more of what things actually do. I can manage to work out mostly as to what each function does, but I'd like some level of certainty.

Sorry to be the painfully ignorant noob, and thanks in advance for any help.

- Also, must say fantastic job on the Character System Robin, It's definitely far better than any other of the several hundred it feels like I've tried over the past few weeks haha, just gotta tidy up these animations a bit.

20. binarie

binarie

Hi

Is it possible to have the 3rd person camera follow the character's movement directly? E.g. If you make him walk backwards by holding down 'left' and 'down' he will walk in a circle backwards with the camera tracking him directly from the front.

Can you make it so that if you walk forwards and to the left/right he will walk in a circle and the camera will follow his movement? It seems difficult to turn around quickly with the default setup.

I might be missing something basic so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

21. SudoCat

SudoCat

Your questioned has already been answered somewhere in the past 10 pages, saw it last night while hunting. I'm not certain, but you may just need to change the camera you are using (For instance using the Orbit setting). If you're attempting to use it for an MMO RPG style character controller, I did see someone offer some tips on page 34 or so of this thread.

22. SudoCat

SudoCat

Okay, sorry about that - as it turns out, trying to learn c# while tired at 4 in the morning was the real issue. We had been mindlessly attempting to assign it to E, however when we switched it to a different key all problems dissipated. Thank you for your help, regardless.

23. RobinS

RobinS

Hi,

@binarie, you mean like in Resident Evil ,if i understand you right ? The HeroCamera script has a checkbox for an idle orbit modus. I guess that might be useful in your case. ;-)

@SudoCat, good job on finding the solution! I linked some good tutorials on the previous page, just in case you have missed them. And you're welcome! ;-)

24. snowboardkid

snowboardkid

Bought this yesterday. Does anyone else think the "old" version plays much better than the mecanim version? Or, is the problem with my computer/not using Unity Pro? For example, if you jump off a high surface (in the mecanim version), do you fall for a while and then kind of "teleport" down? That's what happens to me, it looks really glitchy. Also, it seems to just randomly ignore my key presses sometimes, like when I want to jump- this is extremely frustrating. Luckily, the older version works really nice and seems to have none of these issues.

25. Venged

Venged

I think the mecanim version plays the same or better.

26. im

im

i just tried the old version and i have to admit its much more fluid. when you press a key it responses as one would expect. while i get about the same framerate with both the mecanim version is like laggy and unresponsive to key presses. i find myself often having to press keys again to get it do what they key is supposed to do. its like a start an animation and untils it finishes it cant start another. i also find it a bit buggy i selected the machine gun and it came out, but then it continued to play the punching sequence and moving forward. i had to put away the weapon and take it out again for it to stop. its like the stats got mixed up. also i find myself having problems with jump over things i have to press the jump+e just right, do it off time and it dont work. personally im considering sticking with 3.x until the issues with 4.x get fixed. im not sure problem is with unity mecanim or with the character system. im also worried being able to add more animations in addition to what comes with cs...

27. cmart

cmart

Weirdly enough, I totally agree with you. And I have Unity Pro. For me, the mecanim versions climbing and swimming are completely broken, all the inputs feel off, usually requiring multiple key presses to do anything. :/

The old version in the zip (3.3, the same as the demo) is awesome, feels really great (especially with a 360 pad).

I would love to go forward with the mecanim version, is there an update planned any time soon? As it stands that version is just unusable for me :(

28. im

im

i think we are in same boat. i dont mind using legacy animations if they work. i just have to learn how to use them and rig different models for them, if that is possible.

29. drewradley

drewradley

The unresponsive keys go away, for me, when I build. Something about being in the fixed update and the Play window of the Unity editor don't play well together. I think it skips some fixed updates or something. I find it's also slightly less sluggish if you close the animator window. For me, I was getting a lot of stuttering when it switched to a new animation screen - like going from locomotion to combat. You can also just move all those key commands to the Update and that helps.

30. Hadrien

Hadrien

I have the "Unresponsive Keys" problem even if I build the project… And move the keys commands to "Update" does not solve anything. :/

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  31. im

im

perhaps it has to do with animations having to completely finish and then pause before a new one can be started.

i noticed that in the legacy version i can hit a key and it immediately starts the animation

but not with mecanim one. perhaps there is some setting that we dont know about. or perhaps its because of how those darned complex mecanim controllers work.

still it needs a fix. cause i was unsuccessful retargeting legacy animation to another character. so i got lots of nice animation but i really cant use them cause of the lag / unresponsiveness :(

32. madmike6537

madmike6537

Hi Robin,

Long time customer just updated to the latest build. I have a dumb question for you. Can you provide some insight on the hero control script? I am trying to modify a few things and I am lost.

What actually plays the animations for attacking, ect? I have tried setting the bool to true and other ways but I can't seem to make my script control that. What should I call on to do that? For example I want my input script to start the animation when I hit my fire ability. Right now it seems I have to mirror my input keys in the hero control script but I would rather those all be controlled from my one input script.

How can I make changes to the animations timing themselves? Would I just update the hero control script and use the animator variable? For example I want to play the bow animation only to half way,wait until the player fires an arrow, and then finish the animation.

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  33. RobinS

RobinS

Hi all,

The unresponsive keys issue is gone when you built as drewradley said. I was on on the hunt for this for the last ours and found out that this only seems to happen only in the Unity editor on some windows machines, an old laptop in my case.

@Hadrien, i will do my best to find a solution.

@im, yes, you can change the responsiveness a lot when tweaking transition exit times and transition time spans.
    For example, if you want him to run instantly you need to set transition time span relative short. This would not look smooth at all but he would start moving immediately. It's the nature of root motion and the way Mecanim works. The benefits on the other side are, you will not have foot sliding (ice skating) and can retarget to any character you want within minutes.
    Another alternative would be to not use root motion with Mecanim, but you will have to program the movement and will eventually get some ice skating ;-)

@madmike6537, for the sword attack left 1 for example it works this way : For instance, you press the button doAtk1 in HeroCtrl -> this will set a boolean in the Animation Controller true or false. If you are at a point in the controller from where a transition uses the doAtk1 bool to trigger the transition to another state. Then the transition begins -> Now the swordSlash1 animation plays. If you don't hold or press the doAtk1 button, then the animation will trigger the transition back where you came from. But if it is pressed then the transition to sword attack left 2 will triggered and the transition begins. If the exit time condition is met here we are returning back to our base animation.
    You can find this controller in he HeroBase controller under the Combat sub state machine.
    For setting the animation timing you can modify the exit times and transition time spans in the controllers.
    I hope that makes sense ;-)

Cheers!

34. MoravenSoshir

MoravenSoshir

@RobinS, regarding the responsiveness of the Mecanim version versus the 3.x versions, I also noticed that the jump doesn't really behave the same way, especially when sprinting into a jump. Before, you'd kind of sail forward based on your momentum after the apex of the jump.

In the Mecanim version, all forward motion due to momentum seems to stop after the jump hits the highest point (apex).

35. cmart

cmart

So I am trying to work with the mecanim version, but I still get laggy unresponsive controls even when I build out. It is a bit better in the build, but still nowhere near good enough.

Also, there is a slight pause when animations loop, it makes movement feel jerky. Is there any way to fix the jerky animation looping?

Is there any way to get rid of the strafing, and simply make the character (quickly rotate and) move forward in the direction you press?

and as a last resort, Is there any way to retarget custom models for the legacy version?

Sorry for all the whinging, I still really love this package and think it is well worth the money. There are just a ton of kinks! I can't wait til I have it just right :)

36. RobinS

RobinS

Hi,

@MoravenSoshir,
    In the 3.x version the movement ground and air where driven by velocity. In the new Mecanim version it is driven by root motion. You could add a little velocity in the direction you like.

@cmart,
    I don't notice such behaviors here on my machines. does the loops looks better on the animation clips in the preview window ?
    Looks absolutely smooth here.

yes, you could remove the animations from the blend tree and change the corresponding code to your specific game needs.

with the legacy version, you need to retarget animation clips in your 3d animation app (ads max, maya, blender etc.) You can also rig your character mesh to the ninja skeleton.

Thanks ;-) I'm happy the hear that! Just let me know, when you need some help.

Cheers!

37. andmik98

andmik98

I dont really understand how to take the angrybots damage system? I know how to set the health script but not the weapon mecanism..
    How do i integrate the weapon system from angrybots to my ninja character, should i replace the would rifle_ph with the angrybots weapon or the scripts. please help. I am pretty stuck!
    If you could tell how to do it step by step that would be amazing.
    Anyways the system was well worth the 95 dollars.

38. voncarp

voncarp

How do I set up a basic climb area? Can I take a cube, scale it to what I would like its shape to be and then change its name to climbArea and layer to ClimbLayer? Scaling the cube seems to throw everything off.

Using the demo scene those colliders seems to work great, but I'm somewhat challenged in adding my own colliders to a new scene. Whats the secret?

39. voncarp

voncarp

Thats unlikely to work. Set up a crosshair in the center of the screen or on the mouse cursor and then Raycast it. It probably won't look very good shooting at the cursor unless you have Unity Pro where AimLookIK works. The FPS or 3rd person tutorial would likely integrate better than angrybots.

40. RobinS

RobinS

Ok, no problem.
    If did a quick search on the internet and found a basic solution, which is explained very good :
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/29781/first-person-melee-system-how-to-attach-a-weapon-w.html
    Thanks and you're welcome ;-)

41. RobinS

RobinS

Basically the same like the climbWall collider in this pic. The pivot should be on the top level. It can be scaled at its x axis and the rest can be adjusted with the collider size. Just hold shift and drag these little green dots, works great for building these ;-)
    $Bildschirmfoto 2013-07-13 um 21.56.56.png

42. voncarp

voncarp

Can you tell me how my setup is wrong?

43. snowboardkid

snowboardkid

Has anyone here figured out how to skin your own character to the ninja skeleton and get it working in game? Legacy version, not mecanim. I've skinned my own character to the skeleton in blender, imported it into unity with all animations, set it up with all the scripts used on the working ninja prefab- and I can get motion, but no animation as I move around. All the animations work fine when I play them from my own script. Anyone have any ideas?

44. Venged

Venged

I used a program called Fragmotion to skin the Skel to my character back when I was using the Legacy version. I now use the mecanim version.

In Fragmotion it was easy but time consuming to re-target all the animations, one at a time, to my Character.

This a video from back then of the re-targeted Character in Fragmotion. Fragmotion Demo version will let you save your work. You just have to read a long bible verse or something like that every time you open it unless you buy it. It can be found at Fragmosft web site.

Understand that you need to make a ragdoll in unity for the charcter as well as the retargeting. Char Sys video shows how to do that.

I hope this helped

[video=youtube_share;CH6_nGWmQtw]http://youtu.be/CH6_nGWmQtw

45. cmart

cmart

That is some seriously unique copy protection lol, thanks for the tip venged! I'll give this a shot and report back ;)

46. snowboardkid

snowboardkid

Thanks Venged-
    I had completely forgotten to make a ragdoll. I was really hoping that was my mistake, but I made the ragdoll and it still doesn't work. I am pretty sure skinning my model to the ninja skeleton went fine, as it animates well when I play animations through my own script. I made a youtube video to show what I have so far:

I can control the character, can jump (and climb). To test, I have a trigger set up that on entry plays the animation on my model (swimming, in this case). The animation plays fine. Another strange thing: for some reason, any double tap for evade forward/back/side sends the character moving in that direction, forever. I figure this is because it's waiting for the evade animation it can't seem to access. I don't know what I have set up wrong, is there any documentation i've missed?

47. Venged

Venged

If you send my the Character i can put it one my old Legacy Char system projects and try to see if I can find the issue this weekend. PM me if you want me to try.

Best

Ven

48. mcconrad

mcconrad

what new animations/fixes? ((i just want to see if i should reimport or not since i have made modifications to the scripts and animations already :) ))

49. mcconrad

mcconrad

for those having trouble with the climbing, the object/collider pivot needs to be at the top/edge for the numbers to work correctly. there is a cs script that can help you change the pivot in the editor here:
    http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=SetPivot

after that you just need to name the colliders correctly and set the layers. i am still tweaking the settings now, but i think i have it working...

50. Lork

Lork

Hi Robin,

If I wanted to make the character move relative to the camera when using the orbital camera, how would I go about doing that? Basically If I press W to go forward I want the character to rotate to face away from the camera, whereas S would cause the character to rotate to face the camera and so on.