Search Unity

Character System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RobinS, Jul 13, 2012.

1. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

You could make the claiming and landing much better by using the IK in mecanim for the hands and feet, also i see there is no IK aiming only looking at
    it's all polishing, otherwise great job.

2. Arcanor

Arcanor

(im)patiently waiting for UT to approve the submission... ;) Can't wait to see the new update!

3. Archania

Archania

Well hopefully Robin submitted it first ;)

4. RobinS

RobinS

Glad to hear that guys! ;-) It's under review and will hopefully be live soon.

5. ZJP

ZJP

Yessss!!!!! :cool:
    And about the price?

6. Venged

Venged

Feels like it is my birthday today!!!!!!!!! Thanks!

7. RobinS

RobinS

@ZJP, the price will stay the same, for now ;-)

@Venged, Sounds great! Happy birthday and you're welcome ;-)

8. ZJP

ZJP

Thx for the reply. ;)

9. dragonstar

dragonstar

this character system will work on the ouya ?

10. muzerly

muzerly

Hi, I love this package. if the new version only work on unity pro? I notice it include Mecanim IK function. if I use unity free, how it works?

11. WillModelForFood

WillModelForFood

Can we pretty please get a webplayer preview?

Also- is it hard to use a custom skeleton / rig with this? My character is not as humanoid and different proportions so I would need to remap it some how, is that possible? Or should I just use the same rig and resize the joints to fit and then add the additional bones i need?

12. RobinS

RobinS

@ZJP, you're welcome.

@dragonstar, I guess Mecanim builds work on OUYA and the rig i used is mobile friendly, so yes.

@muzerly, Thank you, yes you're right. Mecanim IK is for pro only. Unity free users could use the headlock controller on unity wiki for aiming.

@WillModelForFood, I only tested it with bipedal characters yet, works great and fast. Hard to tell, have you tried to retarget the unity mecanim example controller to your model ? Just create an Avatar from your source model and use it on your Animator. If the animations are still off, you could try to remap the skeleton and tweak the muscle settings.

13. Archania

Archania

Ah still haven't been approved? I'm checking at night and in the morning.. :(

14. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Hey RobinS,

This new version looks great, well worth the wait!! Thanks,

By chance, did you get the pole swinging (swinging / jumping from pole to pole like in Assassin's creed) in this build?

Thanks,

15. Arcanor

Arcanor

Only twice a day? I'm checking like every few hours. ;)

16. Archania

Archania

Well I cant check at work. Lol otherwise I'd be in the same boat.

17. Venged

Venged

Unity is taking too long to approve this. Unity hurry up!!!! LOL

18. ZJP

ZJP

Holiday .... ;)

19. TopThreat

TopThreat

Is adding a different camera system fairly easy? I will want to be able to release the mouse or use right mouse button to turn etc. Intermediate scripting ability... I just want to make sure the system is not completely dependent on the camera system for some reason.

Thanks and nice work!

20. RobinS

RobinS

Hi all,

@LeeAllen, Thank you.
    It's very easy to setup your own setup and requires only basic scripting. You can use any camera controller you want with the system.

21. RobinS

RobinS

22. Archania

Archania

Awesome. Can't wait to get home and download!

23. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Now that i have it :)
    i want to know if i also have to buy the new animation kit or are the animations in this kit complete the same then in the new animation only kit?

Also i am interested to know if you will provide, maybe as an extra asset, a mobile controler for this?

Once again a nice asset :)

24. RobinS

RobinS

@Archania, glad to hear that ! ;-)

@RandALThor, No worries, the Character System contains all animations, like the Big Anim Pack ;)
    Thanks!

25. ZJP

ZJP

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  26. Venged

Venged

Thanks Robin S!! Updating now!!

27. Venged

Venged

Oh no the server is busy)-: Yall stop downloading so I can get mine. LOL!!!

28. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

29. MatthiasDeo

MatthiasDeo

Hi there Robin, great update to an already great asset.

I've noticed a few bugs that I don't think were present in v3.3, just reporting them, this isn't a complaint ;)
    - Combo chains with the sword no longer work
    - Sometimes switching between states (sneak, walk, sprint) does not work
    - Sometimes that character gets stuck mid roll and ends up doing a handstand until unstuck
    - having linked jumping to climbing over an object as this means that the jump height variable now affects the height of the climbing animation.

I was also just wondering if there's a way to remove the pause in movement after every time the character lands.

Thanks again for the update!

30. Mihai93

Mihai93

i dont understand how to change character i need to redesign character skeleton for use another character?

31. RobinS

RobinS

Hi all,

@Venged, @Hamesh81, Glad to hear that guys! ;-)

@MatthiasDeo, Thanks, already fixed and resubmitted some of these bugs. You can cancel the landing animation at the animation controller. Just add a new transition with if v > 0.5 that returns to move tree.

@Mihai93, I made a retargeting guide starting at 5:26

32. Archania

Archania

I was able to use a different character and applied all of the things to him. Make the new character a avatar, apply the scripts and followed the video. Note big thing here CHANGE the root node of the new skeleton in the hero script if different then the ninja. Trying to think of what else but I'm not at home on the computer.
    It does work though. I was able to do it.

33. Mihai93

Mihai93

what program i need to use for do that? im not a modeller and i dont know how to do that

34. Archania

Archania

Did it through mecanim. As long as the character is rigged you should be able to do it.

35. Mihai93

Mihai93

36. Archania

Archania

No clue on it. I'm not paying to try it either. But if it is rigged, you should be able to do it. Try the character with the Unity Tutorial on Mecanim. See if it works. So instead of the robot you use that character.
    If you get it working then you can get it working with the Character System.

37. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

I'm having a lot of fun trying out the mecanim version, and digging through the scripts. I'm curious Robin, do use mocap for your animations, or animate by hand because your animations are top notch. I still can't figure out how the wall run works though, do you just jump at a wall and walk on it or is it while climbing only? I can't figure it out haha, someone please enlighten me :D

Also, I have a question about the included (zipped) legacy version of this asset. In the asset store and in the actual project it's labelled as version 3.5, but the zip file and the package file are actually labelled as version 3.3. So I'm wondering whether the legacy version included is an updated version or the 3.3 version that was released before the mecanim update? The only reason I ask is because when testing it, it seems to have a few of the issues the 3.3 version had, eg. after climbing around corners, when releasing/dropping to the ground, the character's rotation is of by 90 degrees when they land. If this is something I can fix myself please let me know how and which variables to adjust (feel free to pm me). Thanks a lot and keep up the awesome work Robin

38. ZJP

ZJP

39. RobinS

RobinS

Hi,

@Hamesh81, Awesome ! ;-) I like to build animations from "hand", no mobcap. Thank you, nice to hear! To do a wallrun you just need to hold the vertical axis (W button) while in air and near a wall. It works frontal and 45deg. left and right. You can even jump off a wall (Space button).

Seems i labeled the the zipped 3.5 Character system wrong (3.3) ;P It's the latest legacy version.(3.5) Sorry for the confusion. ;-)
    Corner climbing should be fixed in the next version, thanks!

@ZJP, that was fast! Thank you ;-) It's the skinned and rigged Vet character by Jacal, including the whole Character System without the Ninja.

Cheers!

40. Darkworth

Darkworth

So does that mean that if we have already purchased the character system before but would rather have the veteran model instead of the ninja, that we have to purchase it again under the new project? (Very awesome of you to port this to Mecanim BTW! I had decided against this system as a possible character controller because it wasn't Mecanim... it is back at the forefront for consideration now.) :)

41. ThePipes

ThePipes

I have been looking at your videos...looks an awesome addition to the Unity Community. I need to ask, can the camera in third person view be controlled by the right analogue stick on an Xbox pad?

I also noticed the player doesn't seem to spin round in one spot on any of the videos, is that a feature that's not on the video but available with the package?

Awesome work :)

Cheers

42. ZJP

ZJP

Yes. Ninja or Soldier. Cruel choice. Jacal is a good designer. It would be nice if he offers sci-fi models. ;)

The Mecanim addon is the best move for ever.

@OP
    BTW, Are you planned to add the Mecanim Controllers with the animation pack?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  43. CaptainExtra300

CaptainExtra300

Seriously bro.
    you call this a setup guide?

i mean, no narration audio, can barely see what you are doing, the speed of the framerate of the video is 2 to 4 X speed, no notes, Is this a practical joke???

i mean is there a real setup guide? ie: pdf? a more intuitive narated or notes video?

44. RobinS

RobinS

Hi,

@Darkworth, Glad to hear! Yes, the Veteran is sold separately.

@ZJP, Thanks for your kind words! The Big Anim Pack is meant as a Animation pack only. Maybe i will add new animations in the future who knows ;-)

@CaptainExtra300, This vid shows the setup for the 3.5x legacy Character System. Works really well in combination with the corresponding scene.
    The Setup Guide for the new Character System (Mecanim) starts at 5:26 in this video :

45. sadicus

sadicus

@CaptainExtra300
    ...I was just trying to screengrab the steps, unless someone gets to it first i'll post asap.

46. sadicus

sadicus

Install Custom Package> Runtime Error

After downloading the Mecanim Character System, this runtime error happens. It closes Unity, and I can open the project, but I think some files might be missing.
    I have tried installing directly from the asset manager, also Install Custom Package, both give the runtime error.

Attached Files:

47. sadicus

sadicus

missing stuff.

Attached Files:

48. drewradley

drewradley

Just bought the veteran version and am really liking it... however, when I holster the rifle while shooting, it gets stuck in shooting and the toggles don't always seem to work when I press them the first time. Oh, and the rifle and pistol animations all have the arms askew so that the wrists are crossing over each other on my models. Is there anyway to fix that inside unity? or am I going to have to use my own animations?

49. WillModelForFood

WillModelForFood

Having a few problems, first- sneak doesnt work when I press V toggling walk does nothing when I press X
    Also another thing I was frustrated about-
    Character doesnt go into a dive when I jump from high into the water like in your video
    he just ragdolls
    I tried to change the ragdoll time but he still does not go into a dive.
    Also whenever I go into water I cant get out because you can't climb out of water so I get stuck in the pools on your demo's
    And finally how can I change the jump so I can bunny hop instead of having such a huge delay its pretty weird having to wait each time you jump if u know what I mean

thanks for your amazing work

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  50. RobinS

RobinS

@sadicus, seems like a download error, sorry! I guess re-downloading should help.

@drewradley, glad to hear that! ;-) I will try to reproduce this when i'm at the office, thanks for reporting!
    When the joints are off a bit after retargeting, you can try to adjust the muscle settings on your avatar.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/MuscleDefinitions.html
    Hope this helps

@WillModelForFood, thanks for reporting, i fixed this first bug and submitted it on monday i think, should be live soon.
    The rag doll is triggered due fall time. you can raise the start rag time value under the rag doll settings on the HeroCtrl inspector.
    Does it work when you untick useRagdoll ?
    It's noted and i will try to fix most of it for the next version.
    You're welcome.