Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Character System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RobinS, Jul 13, 2012.

1. RobinS

RobinS

Hi,

@ BlackJonima, Yes ;-)

@ Whippets, With the current version (Legacy) you would have to retarget the animations to your rigged character in your 3D app. Or skin your character mesh to the provided Skeleton in this package.
    But the Mecanim version of the Character System will be released soon. This will allow you to retarget animations and characters to any Humanoid character in minutes inside Unity. ;-)

@ Malous4, Like Arcanor already said, it's meant to be used in conjunction with the demo scenes. It's really good to get you started and a robust reference when building your game ;-)

@ Arcanor, Thanks, the system is almost done, i'm pretty happy with the result. ;-) It's in polishing stage right now and should be ready very soon.
    Also i'm really thankful for your awesome support help here, that is much appreciated. I agree 100%

@ blad00x, Thanks for that offer, it's like i wrote to Whippets and i'm way to busy to do custom work at the moment. The Mecanim version will be ready soon and should be integrate-able to networking solution like any other Mecanim based animated character. Here is a good presentation by Emil about it : http://video.unity3d.com/video/6947115/unite-2012-unity-network

Enjoy

2. junkyardog

junkyardog

It sounds like if there was a spot for people to do so, they might post short tutorials and helps.

This looks to be an extensive package and developers need all the help they can share with each other. I know I will when I get to the point of getting it.

3. Octo-Games

Octo-Games

i have another question :
    how can i easily rigg those animation to my custom character?

4. Arcanor

Arcanor

The spot is right here. Post your tutorials in this thread.

As Robin said, this will be easiest using the new version that's coming out soon. For now, you should learn how to use Mecanim by searching the Unity forums, wiki, and documentation. There are many tutorials about this subject.

5. the1337ski

the1337ski

Robin, great work on the package! Like others on this thread, I am also excited about the mecanim version.

I am trying to integrate the Oculus Rift SDK with your HeroCamera script. If if change the _Main Camera to the OVRCameraController I get the following error:

MissingComponentException: There is no 'Camera' attached to the "OVRCameraController" game object, but a script is trying to access it.
    You probably need to add a Camera to the game object "OVRCameraController". Or your script needs to check if the component is attached before using it.
    HeroCamera.LateUpdate () (at Assets/CharacterSystem/Character_System/Scripts/HeroCamera.cs:143)

The OVRCameraController contains a controller script for two cameras (one for each eye), I am a still a noob when it comes to unity programming, any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks again for such an awesome asset.

6. dell

dell

The camera controller is just a camera object of cameras that are created in scripting. So Unity does not see it as a normal Camera but it still renders correctly. That's why you are getting the warnings from the console even after you specify the Hero Camera variable in the inspector. You should still be able to compile and create a runtime.

I have done the exact same thing as you are trying now so don't worry. I got it working a few weeks ago... but for some reason I can only see the feet of the character. I think this has something to do with the hero camera settings.

After I go back to it and fix it I will let you know what I did. I have not touched the camera part for the Oculus Rift SDK lately as the whole thing will change when Character System goes Mecanim pretty soon now. :p

You will have to play with the POV and the camera distance settings as well. Remember there are now 2 cameras that have to be adjusted instead of one. Also image effects code which are normally attached to the camera will have to be dealt with as well.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  7. the1337ski

the1337ski

@dell Thanks for the info. My first attempt with the C# I also got the feet view. After a few hours of trying I ended up attaching the OVR cameras to the characters head. Let us know if you make any progress.

8. Warship

Warship

any news about the the mecanim version?

9. SkullKing

SkullKing

I am mostly happy with this product, however i noticed that if I am moving forward,and them double-tap right, I roll forward rather than right, and that if I tap front and right in quick succession, I roll instead of quickly changing directions.

Will this be corrected in the mechanim version?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  10. jjosephhegazyy

jjosephhegazyy

Hi Robin!

I love the look of your Character System, but I'm having a lot of trouble setting it up!

It's probably worth mentioning I'm fairly new to Unity and I'm probably doing something stupid but oh well :)

Anyway, I'm having a few problems. I started off with making a simple terrain to put your already setup ninja and camera prefabs in. I set the camera to the main camera in the hero camera script and also set the head bone correctly. Now... no matter what I do, whenever I hit the play button, the camera is viewing from the feet of the character, and I can look around, but I move ridiculously slow and with the camera being at the feet of the character, it's not really doing much.

I've tried importing my own models, setting them up as a ragdoll like your tutorial video shows, and even following every step I'm achieving the same results, with the difference being when I attach all the scripts to my own model I can't even move.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, as it seems like it would be very helpful to kickstart my learning in game development. Thanks in advance :)

11. dell

dell

In the first person camera is there a way to stop the "Virtual walking" where the camera moves as though the player is walking. I just want the camera to have a steady move forward with no "bobbing Motion" when the user presses the W or forward arrow key. I looked at the .cs code which looks like this. And none of the variables seemed to affect that bobbing motion... Any pointers in the right direction?

12. RobinS

RobinS

Hi,

Thanks for all your interest and responses, many ideas and suggestions made it in the Mecanim version, which will be ready for you soon ;-)

SkullKing : Double tapping has been enhanced and will come with the next version.

jjosephhegazyy : Sounds like a collision physics setup problem. It could also have to do with character, rig and animation setup.
    Does it work if you turn off the animation component ?
    Is the pivot of your character between he feet on ground level ? Does that match after you entered play mode ? ( Gizmos / scene view)
    Is animation scale and character scale 1.0 ?
    You could compare the Ninja setup with your character step by step, please let us know how it goes ;-)

Arcanor and dell thanks for your help ;-)

Cheers!

13. dell

dell

Thank you Robin you are most welcome! Oh just a quick question! Did you see my question about the "jiggling" while walking up above? Any ideas on how to fix it? I know we have to freeze the Y axis of the camera. I have tried this with transforms but the camera ends up locked to his feet! Much appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  14. dell

dell

hehehe! I figured it out.... No worries Robin got it!

My code (your code!)

Code (csharp):
    1. desDist -= Input.GetAxis ("Mouse ScrollWheel") * Time.deltaTime * zoomRate * Mathf.Abs (desDist);
    2.         desDist = Mathf.Clamp (desDist, -2.0f, -2.0f);
    3.         finalDist = desDist;

15. MoravenSoshir

MoravenSoshir

Hey Robin, love your pack!

I wanted to ask if it's possible to make the character use a camera that is not a child object of the ninja prefab. I am doing a networked game and I create more than one ninja, but camera control is taken over from the first client because the second ninja object creates a camera.

I tried just moving the camera outside the prefab and linking it to HeroCamera as normal, but the perspective just stayed fixed.

16. dell

dell

Interesting question... My camera "_Main Camera" is outside of the ninja object "_ninja". In the HeroCamera code in the inspector you assign the variable camera. I have moved my camera outside the pre-fab and just assign the camera variable to HeroCamera and it works fine. You may need to reposition the camera too which can be done in the scene and the inspector in the Hero Camera script for Hero Height, Hero Distance, Min Distance, Max Distance... etc. The camera preview window will give you an idea what the camera will see when you select the camera in your scene.

You do this by dragging your camera object in the scene into the slot for the variable for the camera in the inspector for Herocamera in the "Cam" slot.

Also if you are bold or brave you can mod any of the code to make it jump through any hoops you want. My "Player game object "_ninja" has many new types of action that Robin did not code in... because you can mod his c# code or add your own. Very flexible this Character System!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  17. MoravenSoshir

MoravenSoshir

Edit: So I remember why that didn't work for me when I tried it last night: The camera needs to be set up in the prefab itself, as the object is spawned rather than added manually by me. If I move the camera out of the prefab, assign it to HeroCamera's camera slot, then make a prefab out of it, the camera slot ends up being set to "None".

18. RobinS

RobinS

Hi,

dell, Good job! Glad you got it working ;-)

MoravenSoshir, Glad to hear ;-)
    And thanks for your info, i will look into this for sure.

Cheers!

19. MoravenSoshir

MoravenSoshir

I actually didn't end up getting it working. Is there a way to assign the camera to one in the scene after the fact in code?

Due to the way it's using the prefab to spawn the players in, I can't reference a single camera in the scene. Or at least I don't know how it should work.

---------------------------

Edit:

If anyone ever needs to know this, it's GameObject.Find("name"). If you want it as a camera component, append .GetComponent<Camera>().

20. MoravenSoshir

MoravenSoshir

Okay, *now* I have it working. I took the camera out of the prefab, left it unassigned, put one in the scene and then just found it in via script.

Thanks guys!

21. webpsds

webpsds

@RobinS

when's the mecanim version coming out?

22. ZJP

ZJP

+1

23. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

I've been keeping an eye on this thread for the Mecanim version to come out. 6 months ago it was coming soon. 2 months ago it was coming soon. now it's polishing time. can we at least have an ETA? Are we talking another 6 months or are we looking at a few more weeks. Some time frame would sure help us out, so we know if we should hold tight, look at another product or start on figuring out the old system and re-targeting. Setting our expectations sure would go a long way... not just "soon" as that's relative and your "soon" and everyone else's is obviously different.

24. RobinS

RobinS

The plan is to submit it within this month, stay tuned ;-)

25. AndyMul

AndyMul

I really can't wait for this update. Our team project is essentially on hold to use this asset with mecanim included. I think the price you are offering is also very reasonable. Do you have a donate button on your site? I would love to donate some fund to keep you going (faster).

26. xanthusbass1

xanthusbass1

$test.jpg i have been trying your control system but for some reason i my character model never climbs to the top of the collision box is there a scale i should be using

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  27. RobinS

RobinS

Hi,

AndyMul, thanks! send you an email.

xanthusbass1, here is a screenshot of a climb collider:
    $Bildschirmfoto 2013-07-13 um 21.56.56.png
    You can also make prefabs from included colliders and use these in your game.

Cheers

28. Mihai93

Mihai93

when you going to add more fatures i dont see any new update

29. SkullKing

SkullKing

He said that he is planning on submitting the update this month

30. rkruk

rkruk

Hi,
    Just wondering if your new character system for mecanim will be an update to the character system or a new product? I've played around with the character system and like it on a colleagues computer, but will wait to invest after this new update or product release. If you can let me know, and if a new product in the ballbpark area for price if you could, thanks.

31. RobinS

RobinS

Hi,

Yes, plan is to submit it this month as a free update to Character System customers.

Cheers ;-)

32. Mihai93

Mihai93

and what is going to be new?

33. SkullKing

SkullKing

Mechanim integration, at least.

34. JohnPet

JohnPet

I was expecting renewed system, like a new climbing system, more stable, and perhaps new walking system, with 360 degree rotation..

35. dxmachina

dxmachina

Looking into your lovely looking system. Was playing the web demo and every time I run and jump the character crumples into a little sad ball. Is that intentional? Can it be changed without jumping into code?

Also, I swear I saw a nice swan-dive animation in your video. Can this be done in the web demo?

But overall feels very fluid. Nice work! Looking forward to seeing what can be done with mechanim and IK!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  36. SkullKing

SkullKing

What do you mean by this?

37. JohnPet

JohnPet

Currently, the system offers 3rd person movement, like the one used in old games (morrowind, gta vice city). I expect a movement system like gta san andreas or iv, for example. The movement used now in most action and platformer games. See mario 64.

38. SkullKing

SkullKing

isn´t that the same as the orbit cam?

39. JohnPet

JohnPet

Well, it didnt work for me that way. I might be mistaken..

40. Archania

Archania

New Video is Awesome. Can't wait for the new revision Robin. Well worth the wait!

41. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

:eek: OMG OMG :eek: I just saw the new video!! This is looking sooo awesome :D
    Totally worth the wait.

42. Archania

Archania

Robin... How are we looking for the end of the month release? Don't tease us with that awesome video and leave us hanging!!! lol

43. SkullKing

SkullKing

Where is the new video? I can´t seem to find the link in the thread?

44. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Just go to the youtube channel, google "unity character system" ;)

45. ZJP

ZJP

46. RobinS

RobinS

Thanks for your kind words and patience guys! ;-) I'm about to submit.

47. dbrian

dbrian

Slam dunk, RobinS. Nice work, easy buy.

48. ZJP

ZJP

It's a very nice pack. And what about the price?

49. Venged

Venged

I feel like it is a few days before Christmas! Thanks Robin S!

50. SkullKing

SkullKing

thanks, it is looking really nice