Search Unity

Resolved Character stutters only in reloaded scene.

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Dobalina, Apr 7, 2022.

1. Dobalina

Dobalina

(SOLVED) Turns out my physics time steps didn't match with my time scale.

I discovered that my character develops an ugly stutter that will only occur when reloading the scene and only occurs whilst steering my character. I steer my character using a 'smooth look at' script towards a vector 3 mouse click. Oddly this stutter isn't present in the first instance of playing my scene. Both playthroughs have a high FPS (60+) and the camera/rigidbody setup is the same between play sessions.

I discovered that the stutters will vanish if I have the Animator panel or Inspector open with an animation playing. With either of these open, everything is nice and smooth, if I close them the stutter comes back.

I've already explored Fixed/Late camera settings, Fixed Timesteps, Rigidbody interpolation, Animation compression, Framerates.... I can't for the life of me figure this out. All I know is that this stutter occurs when reloading the scene, whilst the 'smooth look towards' is applied to steer the character. If I take away the smooth look towards (which I need), this also removes the stutter.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022