Search Unity

Character Muscles

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Adam-Mechtley, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Adam-Mechtley

Adam-Mechtley

Administrator

Hi everyone. I am currently working on trying to create decent real-time muscle deformation to run in Unity. I currently have a demo running on my website. WARNING: I have not profiled this at all, so I have no idea how it might run on an Intel integrated graphics chipset.

http://6ixsetstudios.com/resources/muscles.php

I still have a couple of bugs to iron out, but it is in a more or less showable state. The next step will be to combine the animation data with physical simulation on the body to have limbs react to physical forces while animating.

2. norby

norby

there is something strange happening
    with the mesh, see picture

Norby

Attached Files:

3. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

That's strange, works fine here.

4. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Works here too and even acceptable speed on an intel integrated card

5. GaborD

GaborD

Very interesting!
    Will be really cool if you combine it with the animations, looking forward to that :)

P.S. Runs fine (and smooth) here on my work computer with an integrated Intel chip, Mozilla, WinXP.

6. Greymarch

Greymarch

Worked fine for me (IntelMac, WinXP, IE7, X1900). The models deform very nicely. How many bone influences per vert are you using, particularly around the shoulder areas? I've always found that part to be the most problematic. I take it as well that the model is pretty high poly (>5000 tris)?

7. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Are you using my ambient occlusion here? It looks like you are, but it isn't tweaked right. I see black edges around objects, but not at the right relative depths.

8. Adam-Mechtley

Adam-Mechtley

Administrator

@Norby: No idea. Looks like a problem with some of the rigid bodies (i.e. not staying kinematic). I basically made this while at the GDC, so I haven't really had a chance to try it on other computers.

@Greymarch: The whole thing is running using 4 influences per vertex. Most of the deformation is owing though to extra joints with procedural behaviors, which was part of the test. The model is about 13900 triangles altogether. The whole arrangement is intended to be best suited to something like a sports or fighting game.

@Yoggy: This is just a basic three-light setup with soft shadows enabled for the key.

@Everyone: Thanks for the benchmark. It's good to know it works on the lower end hardware fine. I hope it keeps up as I add materials and other things to the scene.

9. drJones

drJones

very cool - its downright creepy seeing that ragdoll move, almost too real ; )

runs great on my intel imac.

10. tim

tim

I'm getting the same thing in Safari and Firefox on my Dual G5 1.8ghz with ATI Radeon 9600 XT.

11. noradninja

noradninja

Same, TiBook G4, Radeon 7500

12. llavigne

llavigne

You tuned the ragdoll just right, can you add rigidbody picking so we can break some bones?
    Nice "secondary motion"

13. CoherentInk

CoherentInk

I'm getting the same weirdness as Norby as well: PowerBook G4, GeForce4 MX

14. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

I am getting the same issues.

PowerMac G5 - GeForce 6800 Ultra - OSX 10.5.2

Strangely it seem to be the exact same polygons that are effected...
    I encountered similar effects during rigging in C4D. But when exporting to fbx instead of using native import to unity the issue is usually gone.

15. meshpig

meshpig

No problem on intel iMac/Leopard. Amazing stuff! Thanks.

m

16. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Looks great.

So far it seems that people on PowerPC machines experience some sort of problem, not sure what's the cause... maybe the code somewhere is generating NaNs of infinities for the bone transforms? Or something else?

17. norby

norby

my machine is a : Power Mac G5 with a GeForce 6800 Ultra (256 MB).
    i have seen this behaviour with the island demo too, especially with terrain mesh.
    The strange thing was that i did not always happen .

Norby

18. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Yep, also getting the problem on my G5. (I've never seen anything like that with the island demo; getting intermittent weirdness in vertices may be the result of bad VRAM.)

--Eric

19. Adam-Mechtley

Adam-Mechtley

Administrator

@Aras: If the problem people are having is the same as the one in the first image, I have a pretty good idea of what it is, but not how it is happening. The vertices that are freaking out all appear to be influenced by joints with rigid bodies and, with the exception of the ragdoll, which looks totally freaked out, are only happening on the right side of the body. I can tell because it is vertices on the chest, upper arm, and upper thigh, which are all areas where I have the rigid bodies in effect, but it looks fine for all the joints which are simply controlled by script. I can maybe send in a copy of the project when I am back on my mac for you all to check out.

20. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

I had the terrain issues too (not occuring all the time), when updating to leopard. They are gone with the graphics update of 10.5.2

The skinned mesh behavior however is encountered from time to time. When i get these issues on my meshes, i reskin them and then the issue is usually gone.

Frank