Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Character models created in Character Creator 4, textures coming out distorted after importing.

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by m_daniel26, Nov 28, 2023.

1. m_daniel26

m_daniel26

First things first, newbie disclaimer: I just started teaching myself programming and Unity back in February, and I also only started teaching myself Character Creator in the last couple months. As such, I'm sure that whatever is causing this issue is a fundamental oversight on my part, but I just don't know what to look for.

I also posted this query on the Reallusion forums, but it's been almost a week now and is still in the moderation queue (that, or they rejected it because of the word "nipple"...I'm going with the moderation process got slowed up by the Thanksgiving holiday, lol), so I figured I might as well try the Unity forums, too.

I'm using Unity 2021.3.20f1, and Character Creator 4.31.2001.1.

I finished creating my first character models recently (a family of three), and in CC4 they're looking pretty good:

When I import the models into Unity, however, they look...less than good. I've tried both using the "standard" import (clicking and dragging the models into my Unity project file, and then having Unity extract the materials and textures), as well as using the Reallusion/Unity auto import plugin feature. The plugin results actually came out somewhat worse than the "standard" import, but neither are very good.

Here is how the same characters shown above came out after using the plugin import:

The clothing and accessories came out pretty good (aside from the mom's nipples literally popping out of her shirt...[there's that word, please don't block me, lol]), but the hair, skin and eyes are, quite frankly, the stuff of nightmares.

Here's what happened when I used the standard import (just showing the wife for this example for brevity):

As you can see, the skin looks a LOT better in this take, and the hair is better, but now it's so thin it's practically translucent (that's not a headband, that's her hair reflecting the sky...). Also the dreaded nipple issue still remains...I made her breasts as small as I could in CC4 to try and get around this, but that didn't have any effect...I assume there's a way to alter the mesh of the shirt in Unity, I just haven't figured it out yet. While the nipples poking out may be an interesting fashion statement, it wasn't exactly the "wholesome family vibe" I was going for in this particular instance.

I pretty quickly figured out that if I hide the "eye occlusion" that fixes the "creepy possessed eye effect" shown above (not exactly sure what the eye occlusion is for, so don't know if hiding it will mess things up for me later...). Also played around a bit with smoothness, and that got rid of a bit of the "plasticy" look of the skin and hair, but it still doesn't look very good (and certainly nowhere near as good as it does in CC4).

As far as exporting it from CC4, I tried both using the "Export FBX - All (Character/Prop/Camera)" option as well as the "Export FBX - Clothed Character" options, and played around with the various settings in each of those, but nothing really yielded any different results.

Ultimately, these specific characters and this scene are actually just going to be used in a photograph, so they don't have to look perfect, but I would like them to look better than what I ended up with (also want to figure this out now, before I move onto my more important characters - which is part of why I chose to start with the family first, so I could figure out these issues with the simpler scene before moving onto more complicated models).

Any thoughts/input on what I did wrong would be greatly appreciated!

2. m_daniel26

m_daniel26

Urgh, looks like the pictures didn't come through, so will attach them. Here are the CC4 images:

Attached Files:

3. m_daniel26

m_daniel26

Here are the plugin imports:

Attached Files:

4. m_daniel26

m_daniel26

And here is the standard imported wife, before removing the eye occlusion and after:

Attached Files:

5. kdgalla

kdgalla

I don't see any problems with the textures. The materials look different, maybe, but I don't see any texture-related problems. Maybe you can point out something specific?

Edit: really what you are describing is everything except textures. Remember that Unity has it's own shaders and none of the material properties of these characters import or are compatible. The textures are fine, but you'll need to create all your own materials yourself.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
    m_daniel26 likes this.
  6. wwWwwwW1

wwWwwwW1

m_daniel26 and kdgalla like this.
  7. m_daniel26

m_daniel26

I believe you're correct that the issue is in the materials not the textures - here are some more angels of the mother model (as well as the materials settings) to better illustrate what I'm seeing.

I believe another big part of my problem is that I originally setup this project as a standard project, instead of URP or SDRP, since at that time I didn't know what those distinctions meant. I tried converting the project to URP, but that naturally resulted in the Dreaded Pink Materials of Doom, some of which I was able to convert to URP but many were not. I'd rather not have to go through the whole project fixing that if I don't have to, but I guess in the end it's better to do that now rather than even farther along in the process.

Attached Files: