Search Unity

Character Model triangle processed 4x

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by sacb0y, Sep 12, 2019.

1. sacb0y

sacb0y

My actual model is 60-72K triangles, but Unity is reading 260K for that single character what can i do about this? This seems to happen even if shadows and lights are turned off. This happens even if i'm using the standard shader so it's not my custom shaders.

What can i do to help fix this?

2. kdgalla

kdgalla

How do you know it's actually 60-72k? Is that what the inspector shows when you click on the mesh asset in your project panel?

3. sacb0y

sacb0y

The triangle count in blender is around that value, and Unity will display that value in the depth pass layer of the frame debugger. Then it starts increasing at depth normals...

I should state i'm suing the legacy pipeline.

Depth pass polycount

Depth normals polycount

render opaque geometry

4. sacb0y

sacb0y

Hmmm, i guess this is just the way unity works :/

5. bgolus

bgolus

Yep.

Each of those passes is rendering all of the opaque geometry again. That adds to the total vertex count that gets rendered.

6. kdgalla

kdgalla

Looks like it. bgolus would know. I think the important number to keep your eye on is the milliseconds-per-frame, though.

7. sacb0y

sacb0y

Well i'm targeting android with a game that involves a single character, and that single character was supposed to be fairly high quality.

So this inflation was a big concern for me XD

I'll work out some solutions tho.

8. kdgalla

kdgalla

Well, just test it on your lowest-spec target hardware. The point of my previous post is that having lots of triangles may not necessarily be a problem. Especially since this character is going to be the only thing significant going on in the frame.

Triangle count does not tell you much because you don't know which triangles are feathers and which are bricks.