Search Unity

Character Mesh problem

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by VegeTato, Dec 14, 2017.

1. VegeTato

VegeTato

hey, i have a problem in my character mesh:

i am using 3ds max 2012 and i have imported my character inside 3ds max
    and the character is rigged(bones) i have animated it and export the project as .OBJ and .3ds
    and i have tried all the formats, what i want to do is export the animation and add (Mesh Collider)
    to my character but every time i add the mesh it looks wrong here is the picture:

i just want an animated character with mesh collider ... but it dosn't works ...
    even i tried to export as .fpx the animation is working but the mesh not working as shown in the picture

Please help :c Thanks.

Notes:
    -i am using GTA San Andreas character
    -i am using 3ds max 2012
    -i am using Kam's GTA Tools scripts or 3ds max
    -i am using unity 5
    -exporting the character animation is working but mesh is not working
    &
    mesh the character is working but animation is not working
    i need a solution to make both works (Animation+Mesh Collider)

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Are you using the GTA models/animations for learning purposes?

There are too many variables to account for with the extra complexities from the GTA content. The GTA scripts could be causing the issues, or not. The only one who can know that is you.

Confirm there is a skin modifier on the mesh, and confirm the vertex limits are set to max 4 bones per vertex.
    Confirm the skin modifier is the top most modifier in the stack.

Since you didn't mention mesh orientation I'll not address that issue.

Confirm you are exporting the mesh and bones together in the export. Select them and then choose export selected.

Confirm you have skin and deformations checked in the fbx export dialogue.

Other than that - - does the fbx animate correctly after you export it from Max and then reimport it into Max?
    This is a simple test to make sure the animation is correct coming out of Max. That only leaves Unity after that.

Could be numerous reasons in Unity, but eliminate Max exporting before moving on.

3. VegeTato

VegeTato

Well i tried a lot of things but i don't think GTA-SA scripts is the problem
    here is the exactly steps of what i am doing in pictures:
    1-using the Kam's Scripts for adding GTA-SA models(characters)

2-Importing .DFF (gta sa characters format)

3-Imported my character

4-Added the animation (.ifp format from gta sa)

5-Applied the animation (pressed on Patch the animation)

6-Export selected (skin & bones) as shown in the picture

7-exporting as .fpx options

8-Imported to unity (drag and drop)

9-Adding the animation Component

10-Play game (animation working in the game)

11-Adding mesh collider

12-mesh problem shown

13-Same steps(with animation) but exporting selected as .OBJ

14-imported to Unity(Left side) is the .OBJ (Mesh working great/Animation not working)
    (Right SIDE) is the .FPX (Animation working great/Mesh not working)

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Obj import/export does not support animation data.

Are you using those models or learning purposes?

5. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

What type of rig setup are you using in Unity?

6. VegeTato

VegeTato

well it's for learning purposes (in this project) but i am going to use the characters in my upcoming game but as i sad there is a problem with the mesh :/ i am using GTA-SA characters because they are rigged and have gta sa animations also and it got more than 300 character inside gta sa so i can use any of them in my upcoming game

what you mean with rig setup ? where i can see that ? i am beginner in this things
    if you mean the bones well gta characters is already rigged (can see that in 3ds max) so i don't need to rig the characters
    i just import into 3ds max then animate then export to unity

7. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

The best advice I can give is to check the learning and documentation section for setting up characters. The rig set up is in the inspector when you first import a character with animations and a rig. The two main rigs are generic and humanoid. A character created to use mocap and other animations has to be set to match the humanoid rig - so animations can be retargetted onto different characters. Generic does not have this requirement, but does not support retargeting on other characters.
    Best to work through the training material to understand what is happening with these characters.

Also - important to note - as far as I'm aware - the characters from GTA-SA are property of Rockstar and should not be used in a game you are selling without their permission/consent That falls under copyright infringement and will be promptly shut down - along with tarnishing a persons identity in the game industry. Just a friendly heads up.

VegeTato likes this.