Search Unity

Character Hair and Cloth Physics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by liquify, May 6, 2020.

1. liquify

liquify

The character hair and cloth physics in Final Fantasy VII Remake and Resident Evil 3 Remake games are amazing. Final Fantasy VII Remake was made using Unreal Engine, whereas Resident Evil 3 Remake might be developed using Capcom's proprietary game engine.

So I was searching for the tools that could make similar hair physics quality in Unity, but I can't find it. However, I found a tutorial on how to create it with Unreal Engine (
    ).

Is there similar hair physics creation tool in Unity? If not, what plugin can we use?

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity doesn't have a native solution and to the best of my knowledge there isn't a third party plugin either.

3. liquify

liquify

Wow... I think Unity should have made it as their first priority, because high detailed hair and good hair physics are very common in AAA games nowadays. Otherwise the big studios will keep using other game engines, because some of them are more advanced and open source.

spikezart likes this.
  4. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

How many AAAs are using out-of-the-box hair physics in other engines, rather than creating their own?

And independent from that, does Unity care if "the big studios" keep using other game engines, in comparison to exploiting their own niche?

Good hair physics would be nice, but I don't know if this is the best justification for it.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hair physics are easily possible in Unity, via rigs or shaders.

However hair rendering is another matter. For good hair rendering performance you would want built-in, as URP can't do Alpha to Coverage right, and HDRP has an expensive but good looking hair system that's only partially documented last I checked (if at all).

So Unity is lacking somewhat for good-looking high-performance hair on URP, but generally OK in builti-in or HDRP. It's a shame because I would've thought Alpha To Coverage would be a first consideration for a lightweight pipeline.

liquify and Joe-Censored like this.
  6. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Whats the reason to use in engine solution for something like this versus robust solutions that already exist in software like maya?

it's pretty easy to make a basic dynamic hair rig in maya that can be exported to any engine.

7. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

Not that obeys engines physics though. This is proprietary only for said engine of choice.

Also remember, this is considered 'polish' phase. A lot of indies would not care for such performant tasks.