Search Unity

Character fbx blender animation splits into 95 individual "animations" in Unity

Discussion in 'Animation' started by neesmithonzeur, Oct 2, 2019.

1. neesmithonzeur

neesmithonzeur

I've been combing through google and videos and these forums for a while but I'm not really sure what specifically my problem is as I've tried a few things and nothings worked. I have three different meshes, 1 arm rigged with its own bones, and a pair of legs rigged with their own bones, and a skateboard with no bones that I'm trying to get to animate all together.

I'm working with a FPS controller and attaching one model to the player controller consisting of legs, an arm, and a skateboard (all of which were separate files I downloaded from free 3d model websites and posed together and saved for a player model). I'm working to animate these for idle, walk, and jump. I rigged the legs and the arm with bones in the ready/idle position, but no bones for the skateboard, since I don't need it to move or bend in anyway, just spin and flip as a whole object basically. The idle and walk/push seem to be working well in Unity (as it's just the legs animating and the skateboard doesn't move for those animations). I'm animating the jump in Blender, which uses the legs, arm and board and looks great there, but when I import to Unity the different objects are all over the place and and in the inspector there is about 95 individual animations for what seem to be different pieces of each meshes, and about 5 of those actually seem to resemble the animation I made in blender albeit only for each individual mesh except the board. The board flips and deforms wildly in any of the 5 or so animations that actually contain movement.

Would it be the lack of bones in the board? I used pose mode to animate most of the legs and arms bones but object mode with the board. Could it be that I'm parenting the wrong objects to the wrong things or that I didn't start with them all saved as one object? I used auto weight painting when rigging the bones to the legs and the arms. I tried putting a single bone in the board (though for just one bone to cover the whole board it almost obscured the board completely and when I only put a small bone in the deck and weight painted and tried to move the bone/mesh only the deck moved with it and the trucks and wheels were still not attached to that bone). I'm not sure if I need to rig the whole board with bones as I don't really want it to change it's shape at all. 2019-10-01 (5).png You can see on the right of the image here all the multiple animations and how the resting mesh pose is not what it should be. Do I need to go back, join all the meshes as one object and re-rig everything?