Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Character design question

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by KinanGH, Oct 20, 2021.

1. KinanGH

KinanGH

Do character designers design characters in loading screens or wallpapers like these ones?

2. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Character designers use a plethora of techniques to develop a new character.

They may start with a color scheme, a game design concept, or (very commonly) making scribbles and blobs for a basic form then drawing the character in it.

They often take multiple passes done in rapid succession then borrowing different elements to make the final pass.

They don’t start off by just making a wallpaper.

3. KinanGH

KinanGH

No I didn't mean that, I meant do they usually design characters for final product's promotional art or loading screens?
    beside concept art or sketches.

4. DimitriX89

DimitriX89

Likely, the lead artist first creates a model sheet/turnaround for each character, and then others (including freelancers) refer to it while making other things, including promo materials amd ingame models

KinanGH and PutridEx like this.
  5. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Depends on the team, I’d imagine.

Large studios have artist on retainer that all they do is create promotional art, while smaller studios may have an artist wear multiple hats.

KinanGH likes this.
  6. KinanGH

KinanGH

So from what I understand from you, the promotional artist designs the characters that are used in promotional art, not the character designer?
    The thing is, I'm trying to separate tasks depend on each role duties, so I need to understand each role's obligations.

7. KinanGH

KinanGH

So each role has to design what is to be used in his own product right? for example the cartoon designer designs the character that are used in his cartoons, and promotional artist designs the characters that are used in promotional art and so on, right?
    and I'm aiming specifically for "Characters" because that what I need to understand right now.

8. Pras12

Pras12

It's an amazing creation of character Design. I really grateful to you if you give details it.

From,
    Prasanta

9. DimitriX89

DimitriX89

Can be the matter of each artist having their unique style. Promo materials arent nessessary stylistically consistent with the game. Regardless, the initial character sheet needs to ne estabilished first

10. KinanGH

KinanGH

From top to bottom:
    1 - Guacamelee
    2 - Hollow Knight
    3 - Darksiders
    4 - Celeste

11. KinanGH

KinanGH

Let's take it step by step for creating a promo please:
    first the character designer designs the character sheet, then the promotional artist check this sheet as an inspiration of what the character will look like in the promo, then the promotional artist designs the full promo from scratch with everything in it (trees,grass,landscape,characters,etc...), is that correct?

12. DimitriX89

DimitriX89

Yes, something like that. Though I assume that reference pictures for the environment should also exist at this stage

KinanGH likes this.
  13. KinanGH

KinanGH

Thanks a lot for the help.