Search Unity

CHARACTER CREATOR 3 Tutorial – PART 1 - Exporting a CC3 Character Base to Unity

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by OXIDUS, Dec 18, 2018.

1. OXIDUS

OXIDUS

Hello Everyone,

After a long hiatus, we would like to post more information about iClone and its tools. This time about Character Creator 3, as more Unity users have been asking about this and we have a series of Unity tutorials which we will be posting here along with answering more user questions.

Learn more about the new Character Creator 3: http://bit.ly/2xWiVTu

This tutorial will walk you through the steps you will need to export your CC3 character inside the Unity game engine. You will learn how to import your character as an FBX file, into by using a script that we’ve prepared in order to save you time with all the material adjustments.

0:24 Exporting FBX from CC3
    2:43 Importing into Unity
    5:29 Manual Material Editing

Download this free script >> http://bit.ly/2ReQlbD

==================================================================================

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    BrandyStarbrite, Shizola and IEdge like this.
  2. IEdge

IEdge

Nice! Thanks for share :)

OXIDUS likes this.
  3. OXIDUS

OXIDUS

Thanks guys! Our team at Reallusion is now working on developing our tools to work closer with Unity. We will post more tutorials and info in the near future. So stay tuned. Happy Holidays everyone! ;)

4. PunhoNinja

PunhoNinja

Its just importing as one mesh :/ Looks really crappy, even after doing the game base thing :/

5. PunhoNinja

PunhoNinja

upload_2019-1-21_17-49-47.png

Im getting this issue when importing into unity, some weird transparent stuff going on, any ideas?

6. OXIDUS

OXIDUS

Hi PunhoNinja! Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. Below we have the solution for this.

1. Make sure that the name of FBX file doesn't contain the word "hair" or other keywords listed below:
    As some special keywords in the naming of an FBX file and/or materials can interfere with the auto-processing procedure. Since the following keywords are used to identify specific features for configuration, then it is best to avoid using them: diffuse - ao - normal - metallicAlpha - metallic - roughness - glow - specular - transparency - hair - eyelash - ga_skin_body - skin - loop LOD0~N

2. Make sure that the script & FBX files are put in the correct location.
    Script:

7. Rowlan

Rowlan

Is there a fixed version available? I recently purchased CC3 and am quite disappointed about the manual steps one has to take to make this work, especially finding out what's wrong in the first place. Here's the character in CC3:

ccc.png

and here's the imported character in Unity 2020.1 with HDRP 8 and the auto-setup, file "AutoSetup 1.1 for Unity 2019.3\HDRP.unitypackage" applied:

cc.png
    The hair is totally wrong, so are the eyes. And the shadows as well.

And it gets even worse. When I try to modify the hair and expand the triangle of the material in the inspector, the hair is totally gone:

h.png

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  8. Rowlan

Rowlan

I figured there's this material setting. I changed it from "Standard" to "Import via MaterialDescription (Experimental)"

i.png

and it looks at least better now

cccc.png
    but when I click the hair in order to fix it, it's still gone:

h.png
    which I suspect that it's Unity implicitly fixing the material settings once you open a material in the inspector

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  9. Dan_Miller

Dan_Miller

I walked away from all this fun a few months ago. I was getting very frustrated. :) Perhaps I will fire up Unity this morning and get back to it, seeing if I can have any better luck. Going from iClone to Unreal works great but Unity seems to be the neglected game engine.

Regarding your issue it seems like you might have to use 2019.3 but I hope I'm wrong, and I will be watching this thread for work arounds. I don't know why Reallusion doesn't keep pace with the new Unity versions. Perhaps because there was no Mega Grant from Unity.

10. Dan_Miller

Dan_Miller

This is how it looks in CC3:

CC3 Image

And this is how it looks after import into Unity

Unity Image

Using 2019.3.7 | URP

I used the correct Auto Script. I thought this sort of thing would have been fixed by now.

11. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

@OXIDUS
    You guys should visit this forum a bit more often, since you have a bunch of unity users, that use your character creation software.:D

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    Rowlan likes this.
  12. Rowlan

Rowlan

@OXIDUS will Reallusion ever address the issues with Unity?

Seeing how Unreal comes up with their very own Meta Human creator which probably will make CC3 obsolete for Unreal, it would be nice if Reallusion could at least address the issues of other engines like Unity. I just tried the latest version of CC3 and it still doesn't work properly.

That's embarassing for Reallusion and all I can do is advise:

WARNING:
    Don't buy any Reallusion Products!
    They aren't supported for Unity.

I mean you could at least make the importer open source so that we could at least fix it ourselves. It's like with Speedtree. You spend thousands of $ for something that doesn't work.

This is how it looks imported into Unity:

un.jpg

And here's how it looks in CC3:

re.jpg

Obviously e.g. the normals aren't assigned with their automatic importer. Imagine you have to do that manually for every single one of the many materials. However, even if you do so, check out what the result is:

nrmm.jpg
    The arms look cut in and the smoothness is insane.

Don't want to get started with the hair and beard which I bought for €150 last week.

Reallusion's Character Creator 3 is a waste of time and money!

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    mohi86, jorikito and RFMatt like this.
  13. jorikito

jorikito

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I was just looking for good 3d character creation tools for unity and I thought CC3 + skingen would be ideal. T_T

14. Rowlan

Rowlan

15. jorikito

jorikito

cgi_faye likes this.
  16. momoguru

momoguru

Happy to see I am not alone in the CC3 struggles.

17. Milo88

Milo88