Search Unity

Character Creator 2D - Editor & runtime character customization

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mochakingup, Feb 23, 2018.

1. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hi @LordComfy

So I just tested it on 2020.1.11 with URP 8.20 and I got no error.

Looking at your screenshots again, it seems like you have other errors that came from "Library/PackageCache", those are not related to CC2D. Could be the source of the issue, but not sure.

When you import CC2D, did Unity ask you to update the shaders?
    Because that's what happened when I tried it on 2020.1, it automatically updates the shaders for URP 8.20

A couple of things to try here, make sure to backup your project beforehand.
    • Can you try removing HDRP? CC2D only have shaders for built-in RP, URP, and 2DRP (Experimental).
    • Can you try reimporting the project? (On menu "Assets/Reimport All")
    • Can you try installing it on a new empty project? Does the error also happen?

2. saibotlive

saibotlive

Hi

Anytime I try to create a new animation and start my game, the character skirt goes missing (inactive). Any idea why this happens? Also to add, if I remove my new animation state from the controller, the skirt becomes active again

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  3. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hi @saibotlive
    Can you screenshot your custom animation timeline/keyframes?
    Most logical explanation is that the skirt's active state is being animated, perhaps by mistake?

4. mochakingup

mochakingup

Randomize button can be hit and miss sometimes.
    But it's a lot of fun, and it's a good start if you are out of ideas!

Here's a gif starring a bunch of randomized characters

randomized 1.gif

5. saibotlive

saibotlive

Hi, I endedup deleting the animation I created now all is fine. This is the best asset I've ever purchased, well done guys.

Attached Files:

6. mochakingup

mochakingup

hey glad that you got it working!

7. zhepama

zhepama

Hope that c# code can add namespace and Assembly definitions

For example: ReadonlyAttribute conflicts with dots ReadonlyAttribute

@mochakingup

For this reason, I spent three hours solving the problem.
    At the beginning, I thought it was a dots bug...
    The result is to use the ReadonlyAttribute of cc2d

8. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hey @zhepama
    You're right,
    the custom property drawer should've been inside the CharacterCreator2D namespace.

It'll be fixed in the next update.
    But if you can't wait, you can edit these files yourselves:
    - ReadOnlyAttribute.cs
    - ReadOnlyDrawer.cs
    And put the class into CharacterCreator2D namespace,
    example:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. namespace CharacterCreator2D
    2. {
    3.     public class ReadOnlyAttribute : PropertyAttribute
    4.     {
    6.     }
    7. }
    Thanks for reporting this!

9. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hi everyone!

We've updated Character Creator 2D to v1.74
    This is mostly bugfixes, here's the full changelog:
    • Fix: Muzzle flash does not scale correctly with character
    • Fix: Muzzle flash behave strangely when the camera is moving
    • Fix: Put custom attributes into namespace to minimize conflict possibility
    • Updated minimum Unity version to 2019.4

10. ATeam_Production

ATeam_Production

Hi everyone,

Does someone of you already try to animate a character created with Character Creator 2D with Spine 2D?
    I will certainly give it a try and I hope to have something great at the end.

11. chamika

chamika

Hey, This 2D character builder is amazing,
    I was using this as my game character customize option. Then need to add some components at runtime.
    It seems already you have added the animator component. So can we attach one of our player scripts when saving the character as prefab or JSON ?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  12. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hi @chamika
    If you need to add component at runtime, you can use AddComponent:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/GameObject.AddComponent.html

Or you can create a prefab with all the components you need first,
    Then put the created character prefab as a child.

13. Szaruga

Szaruga

@mochakingup
    Sorry if I didn't notice, but is there any chance for a new post-apocalypse-style asset?

14. chamika

chamika

Hi dev team,
    I am trying to deploy the ceator UI on iOS device.
    It started and after 2-3 seconds it crashed.

And I can see this log
    WARNING -> applicationDidReceiveMemoryWarning()

And in Xcode memeory usage is 649MB before crashes. (pls check image)

What could cause this?
    Any thing I can do to reduce memeory?

Thanks

Attached Files:

15. mochakingup

mochakingup

We have something similar currently in the work,
    But I can't really say when it's going to be available.

---

Hey, I just replied to your email.
    I think this happened because how different devices handle textures at runtime.
    Another thing that I can think of is to change the textures compression settings.

We admit that this is not ideal.
    And we are actively looking and experimenting for a way to improve this.

Szaruga likes this.
  16. shinomer

shinomer

Hi
    I bought this tool and looks amazing. I bought the scifi pack as well. I'm having a problem with it. I imported the scifi pack into a unity project with the main character creator 2d installed, but the scifi elements doesn't appears in the UI creator. I have read some people have had a similar problem with some packs. Here you can see a screen grab. Any ideas? Thanks!

Attached Files:

17. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hello,
    You can refresh all add-ons using the menu "Window/Character Creator 2D/Refresh Parts and Add-Ons"

18. shinomer

shinomer

It's working. Thanks for the quick reply.

19. Flauros1

Flauros1

Hi! I'm thinking to.buy this asset, It looks great!!

QUESTION: If I save an animation can I have a sheet with the sprites? Thanks :)

20. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hello,
    You can export the character into PNG sequences.
    But it won't be a sheet or atlas. You can use the SpriteAtlas feature in Unity to pack the PNGs. (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-SpriteAtlas.html)

21. jdiperla

jdiperla

Love the new Apocolyptic pack!

ATeam_Production likes this.
  22. ATeam_Production

ATeam_Production

YES, the new Apocalyptic Package is great! I have bought it at the moment that I saw it ... It could be useful for my Cyberpunk/Sci-Fi Game. Thank you!

23. mochakingup

mochakingup

You guys are quick! Glad to hear that! :D

24. mochakingup

mochakingup

ATeam_Production and Szaruga like this.
  25. Carrasco

Carrasco

Hey @mochakingup if I want to replace you base character model, and all of the body parts, but use your structure, even the rig, would it work ok?

26. unity_WyAUK6T8-7tiVQ

unity_WyAUK6T8-7tiVQ

I love this so much, I just need to figure out the best solution for the mouth animations? I want to have voice actors and I am trying to do dialogue with several characters but I am not sure what the best route to approach this?

27. mochakingup

mochakingup

yeah, it should work, body sliders might be a bit difficult, because it was setup specifically with the current body shapes.

---

One possible way would be to create a custom script that references and equip the mouth parts, then call it in your animation using AnimationEvent.

28. ATeam_Production

ATeam_Production

Vampire thematic package could be an idea?

Infact, it could work with existing packages and mix. If it's only a question of teeth, easy to do for everyone.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  29. mochakingup

mochakingup

Thanks for the suggestion!

30. mochakingup

mochakingup

Update v1.80

Hey everyone!
    Update v1.80 for Character Creator 2D is here.

The main addition to this version is the optional memory optimization.

By default, all textures that are used in CC2D are loaded into memory. This behavior makes it possible to switch parts quickly without any hiccup/freezing during runtime. However, it can be a problem when you’re targeting platforms with lower memory like mobile. Because of how different platforms handle texture and compression, it can result in a crash. To combat this, we’ve introduced a new option to CC2D (starting from v1.80)

memoryopt menu.png

To enable this feature, go to the menu Window/Character Creator 2D/Memory Optimization/Enable

By enabling this option, it will change how CC2D handles textures and memory. CC2D now will only load used textures into memory, and unload all the unused ones.

PS.
    • Enabling this option will result in a hiccup/freeze when equipping/switching parts.
    • This option is specific to each platform, if you switch platform, check the option again.
    • This option only affects build, behavior in the editor is unchanged.

31. forgion

forgion

I would like a topdown approach for this character generator

32. Szaruga

Szaruga

@mochakingup
    I have been using this package for some time and I am very pleased. I have got some questions:
    Is there any chance for additional animations? For example, I miss the walking animation in CROUCH mode (Crouch Walk).

Are you considering making a package with animal models (dog, cat, wolf, hare, roe deer, horse, boar, bear) and basic animations (idle, move, run, attack, die etc.) Am I right that they could be divided into several basic types? And, for example, on the basis of a dog's animation, make a wolf or a fox (if someone wanted to). I know it's a lot of work, but a package with animals would be a great complement to what you offer.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  33. Szaruga

Szaruga

So far I have been using version 1.74.
    I tried to switch to version 1.80. But then my project is 4.5 FPS when launched in the editor. Tried using "Enable" and also "Cleanup" but it doesn't help.
    I had to delete 1.80 (4.5 FPS) and go back to 1.74. (250 FPS)

34. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hey everyone, sorry for the inactivity lately

We thought about it before but couldn't come to a good solution just yet.
    Different types of animals would have different numbers of body parts and categories.
    And the current system isn't equipped to handle it.

Which version of Unity are you using? and are using any particular version of SRP?
    Does the slow down also happen on a new project?
    Does it also happen when running the Creator UI?

35. Szaruga

Szaruga

I understand, well, it's a pity. :(
    2019.4.17f1
    No.
    New project + Creator UI scene - when changing the animation there is a temporary slowdown to about 30 FPS (in version 1.74 no)

I know it may be my fault (maybe there is something in my project that slows down) but with version 1.74 everything works fine.

36. mochakingup

mochakingup

Can confirm there's a minor bug that causing a slowdown in the editor.
    Working on a fix for this.

37. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

I have a question for you. Are you able to include the characters with the rest of the art assets for selling purposes? What if I make my own and use the animations from you?

38. mochakingup

mochakingup

As a part of a bigger project like a game, sure. That's exactly the purpose of this asset and any other assets in Unity Asset Store.

Or did you mean selling the characters on their own? In that case, that would count as reselling the asset and not permitted under the Unity Asset Store EULA.

39. mochakingup

mochakingup

I forgot to post here,

Version 1.81 is now up on the Asset Store!

This version contains a bugfix for the performance drop/slowdown in the editor.

40. ash4096

ash4096

Looking to buy this asset. Does it have a wave (hand waving) animation and a clap (hand clapping) animation.

If not, would it be easy for us to create them.

Thanks,
    Ash

41. K0ST4S

K0ST4S

I'm using this asset for a long time, and overall it's programming is very clean. However, to make the asset a bit more flexible to integrate what would be great is keeping logic such randomizing body parts separate of Unity components and instead have it in static Util class. It's called Single Responsibility Principle. If it was done that way, I could use the randomizing logic without using premade UI components.

I did that myself but now I'm not very keen on updating asset in my project because of merge conflicts. I could DM you the classes but I wouldn't know if the methods are up to date.

42. K0ST4S

K0ST4S

Bug, possibly caused by my own changes: when setting Upper Arm length (among others body parts'), body part position does not change. It does if I disable Animator component. Which means that the Animator is overriding the position values. I checked CC2D_SetupData and it's alright. Do you have any ideas what could be the problem?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  43. HCrowley

HCrowley

Just bought this on sale, together with the Daily Life pack, as it's been on my wish list for a while

First impressions are good, although I'll have a better idea once I start using it in a new project. A few small points, if I may:

> I think it would be a good idea to have a more prominent instruction on how to activate a new pack. I eventually found out what needed to be done by poking around in this thread, but it's not blindingly obvious

> Although it's obviously possible to tweak the features, the female character really isn't very feminine out of the box, and particularly as her default face is exactly the same as the male's, making it look as if she's just had an unsuccessful gender reassignment operation. One thing that would be top of my wishlist would be a 'heels' option (although I can understand that it might present some technical problems). At present the female footwear is all flat-footed, and rather frumpy

> As another poster has mentioned, the fact that you have to flip the character to get reverse movement means that weapons switch hands in the flipped version. It's a problem with lots of sprite based 2d characters, but as the weapons are separate objects in this system I wonder if it would be possible to come up with a scripting solution to get the weapon to switch hands when also flipping the character's direction? (Although, on reflection, I guess that would also require a matching animation, so might be more trouble than it was worth)

Other than those minor quibbles, it seems like a solid 2d character generation system, with lots of potential for expansion, and good value for money, particularly on special offer

44. jaraen

jaraen

Hi, I'm a happy owner of CC2D and all available packages, still getting used to it and in short will start creating my own assets for it.

I have one concern in regards of the textures and dependencies. I found that once the prefab is exported it requires CC2D to exist in the project. My idea was to have one unity project to build the characters, but not include the entire lib on the game project. The reason is that it grows the project size and I have the feeling also the final build grows a lot. Is it feasible?

And more important to me, does Unity export to the final build only textures used by my characters or is it including all CC2D assets? Is there any potential optimization here?

Thanks and congrats again for your work, looking forward to new packs and assets, :)

45. AnnaMay11

AnnaMay11

I'm wondering if there's anyway to change what the character starts in on launch? I have to make several characters that look similar. Also can you uninstall the Fantasy pack? I just need the Daily Life Pack

46. fantasylover1

fantasylover1

Hey guys,

I purchased this program to use in Unity but it doesn't seem to appear in the Window menu. I click on Window but it doesn't show there, yet I know I have purchased it.

Can you please tell me why this is not showing up in Unity for me?

Thanks for your time in reading this query.

47. thisisddemo

thisisddemo

I need help to add an additional tatoo. It only lets me choose 1 tatoo, but i would like to select 2 face tatoos. In the picture is my solution, but I don't know how to acheive it.

Attached Files:

48. Szaruga

Szaruga

I noticed that the hats after putting on do not match the variants of too lush hair. --->
    helmet error1.png
    helmet error2.png
    I got the feeling that it worked fine in earlier versions. Please explain.

49. MrTomWolf

MrTomWolf

Is it possible to make the character turn and have the shield still on their left arm? That is, having the weapon in the right hand be on their inside and shield on outside when they are facing left. I figure it could be possible since the shield texture have both sides and most weapons are simply mirrored..

50. jaraen

jaraen

hey thanks for new option "bake to prefab" in 1.90. Still haven't tested it, but looks exactly what I was looking for, .Thanks!!