Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Character Creator 2D - Editor & runtime character customization

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mochakingup, Feb 23, 2018.

1. mochakingup

mochakingup

The package name is just a folder name,
    You can go to 'CharacterCreator2D/Parts' then you can rename the folder as you wish.
    For ease of use and simplicity reason, any new parts will be added under the 'Custom' folder, but you should be able to reorganize it as you see fit.

Yes, you got that right!
    As long as it matches the guide resolution, you should be fine.

By custom character did you mean Body Skin?
    If yes, then the step is exactly the same as creating any other parts, but just use the Body Skin guide.

2. mochakingup

mochakingup

A bunch of randomized Undead characters, to show off more what the pack can do, combined with other previous packs.

unded 2.gif

I like creating this kind of GIF :D

BossClaw and Szaruga like this.
  3. K0ST4S

K0ST4S

Character Creator 2D review
    Awesome asset, loads of art and variety of items. Ability to control length and width of body parts is very good idea, as well as color masks. However, I found extending WizardPart.cs editor class problematic. It uses (seems to me) outdated method with IntPopup instead of EnumPopup.

I needed to branch out Weapon category, and adding another IntPopup with arrays and dictionaries gets confusing. I hope that next update will include simplifying and optimizing this script.

Best of all.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  4. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hello @K0ST4S
    Thanks for your feedback!

We had our reasons why we use IntPopUp, and as far as I'm aware, this method isn't obsolete yet.
    That said, can you elaborate more on what you're trying to do?
    Generally, you don't need to edit WizardPart.cs, it should pick up every template under "CharacterCreator2D/Data/Part Templates/"
    You can add a new weapon category by adding to WeaponCategory enum inside PartEnum.cs, create new template, and it will show up on the Create Part menu.

5. K0ST4S

K0ST4S

Okey, thanks we did just that. Also, another thing we noticed, is that when we modify a texture the part object doesn't update, and we need to re-create the part with WizardPart. How would you go around making this process automatic?

6. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hi, not really sure why that happened that way.
    How do you update the texture? As far as I'm aware, it should update automatically.
    Unless you delete the old texture, then import the new ones into Unity? Usually, this would result in missing references.

7. K0ST4S

K0ST4S

Okey yeah it does update. We were editting image that was not inside (CharacterViewer's)package folder.

8. metawas

metawas

Hello, great asset. Is there a way to change the part materials so that they react to light? For example, change the material to Sprites-Lit-Default?

9. mochakingup

mochakingup

Glad to hear that!

---

Hi @metawas , what renderer are you using?
    We do have Sprite lit shader for the built-in renderer.
    To change your character shader, save it as prefab, then in the saved prefab folder, there should be a material folder.
    You can then change the shader of the materials.

10. metawas

metawas

Thanks for quick reply! I'm using a custom-built renderer from this video
    . Another thing I want to know is, in our game we are trying to have different limb types and we want to create a custom bodyset that only has limbs, no torso or head. We can't figure out which script slices the bodyset sprite atlas and finds where to put each part to build the body.

11. mochakingup

mochakingup

From the video, it seems like it's using the new 2D Render pipeline.
    Unfortunately, we don't support this particular render pipeline yet, since it's still in experimental stage.

The sprite atlas is sliced using the sprites under Texture Guides folder as a guide. You can take a look at the Body Skin guide specifically to see how it is sliced.
    As for the BodyType itself, they are built as prefabs located in "Assets/CharacterCreator2D/Data/Body Type"

12. K0ST4S

K0ST4S

I like the idea of making parts grey, they work great with Armor Recolor unlit shader, but the current shadergraph lit shader does not override whites correctly. They are timmed. How to solve that?
    Example:
    upload_2020-8-12_17-23-20.png
    While selected color is:
    upload_2020-8-12_17-24-30.png

13. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hi,
    Yeah the 2D render pipeline handles color waay differently than the built-in.
    Even the default lit shader and a basic lit shader graph produce different end results.
    I don't remember it being that bad though. I might take another look at it later.
    This is part of why we don't officially support the 2D render pipeline yet.

14. Diogof

Diogof

Hi. With my team we are making a game where we need the items to be locked in the list and then unlock them from another scene. We need to know where to start because we look at the code and we are quite lost. Thank you

15. K0ST4S

K0ST4S

Hello,
    Has any progress been made? The way I see it, parts are timmed because original grey is not accounted for in ShaderGraph (unlike in code written shaders). I'm just not sure how to translate that to shadergraph.

16. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hi @Diogof
    There are several ways to achieve this.
    The easiest way would be to modify the Part List. It is located under "CharacterCreator2D/Data/Resources/CC2D_PartList.asset"
    The Creator UI load available parts from that list. By default, it contains all the parts under "CharacterCreator2D/Parts"
    You can modify the part list to only include what you want, then load the Creator UI scene.

---

Hi @K0ST4S
    Yes, I have finally found what caused the color mismatch.
    It's not that we didn't take the grey into account, we used the exact same calculations as in the default shader.
    So after further tests, apparently, the vertex color of a sprite is already precalculated when using the 2D render pipeline shader, so what happened is the vertex color got applied twice (one by default, and one in our shader calculation).
    All I need to do now is to rebuild the shaders with this in mind.

K0ST4S likes this.
  17. mochakingup

mochakingup

On another note, CC2D version 1.71 is now live!
    it's a minor update containing some bugfixes

v1.71 Changelogs:
    • Fix: Bugs related to TintColor property not working as it should on some conditions
    • Fix: Invisible example character
    • Updated texture guides

K0ST4S likes this.
  18. Diogof

Diogof

19. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

Hi, can you add the feature to copy and paste hex colour from a website like this?
    https://coolors.co/palettes/trending

Also, some more variety of animations would be cool. A proper kick and etc. Here is a reference on how to do it. The melee fighting animations you got for fights are very amateur. I suggest making a better version of these animations.

20. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hi @Gamingbir

Hex color code is a good idea!
    In the meantime, you can copy hex code to the color palette directly.
    Go to this folder "Assets/CharacterCreator2D/Data/Color Palettes/"
    In that folder, you can see all the color palettes that we use in our Creator UI.

You can add your color by selecting one of the palette (I suggest adding it to the 'Custom' palette to avoid conflict with future updates), then use the inspector window to add your new color!

I'm sorry to hear that our animation isn't up to your standard.
    Unfortunately, animation in CC2D is limited by the available parts/images.
    When we first created CC2D, we have to find a balance between customizability and animation. Which led us to our current setup.

For example, in your video, it requires us to create a side view of the character's body and arms.
    This would mean we have to create a side view for each armor and glove that we have, which is not viable for us to do at the moment.

Gamingbir likes this.
  21. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

Understandable. But you guys should find a way to make better animations. It will boost the value of the assets. Right now the assets are used as filler until the artist finished all the characters. I have not seen anyone making a full game out of this asset. We use body parts too make animations. Below is an example of animation done by my friend. We used Dragonbones to make these. I believe if you try you can achieve better results. While the programming part of the assets looks top notch. But animations are not on par with programming.
    https://gyazo.com/e2070e9c74c4a1b36b0007f85b90165c

https://gyazo.com/cee9ad389c7f3ce46204a336086b5a7f

Here are some animation principles:

Anyways you guys support is amazing. Thanks for your time and consideration. Keep up the good work.

Raymond1469 and K0ST4S like this.
  22. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hey everyone,

CC2D version 1.72 is now live!

v1.72 changelogs:
    • Updated shaders for URP and fixed shaders for 2DRP (experimental) (requires Unity 2019.4)
    • Fix: Export png config not parsed correctly on non-English systems
    • Fix: Export png config not saving and loading properly in the editor
    To minimize conflict, please remove the old version from your project before updating.
    Also, don't forget to backup your project regularly!

Get the latest CC2D on the Asset Store.

And thanks for your continuous support! :)

Szaruga and K0ST4S like this.
  23. _Eyesgood_

_Eyesgood_

Hello, I am trying to apply a sprite mask to my character so that I can simulate swimming and immersion in water. Do you have any suggestions on using your character with a sprite mask? I cannot seem to get it working. Thanks!

24. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hi @_Eyesgood_
    Make sure that the Mask Interaction on all the SpriteRenderer is set accordingly (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-SpriteMask.html)
    You can do this manually, by editing your character prefab, in the hierarchy type SpriteRenderer, select all of the results. Then change the Mask Interaction settings.
    Or you can do it by code.

Unfortunately, there are some limitations:
    • If you change the setting manually on your prefab, make sure to disable InitializeOnAwake on the CharacterViewer component. Else, your changes will be overridden by the default settings.
    • Mask won't work on Cape and Skirt, because they're meshes, not Sprites.
    I'm curious how you are planning to use masking, though. Maybe there's another alternative to achieve what you're looking for?

25. _Eyesgood_

_Eyesgood_

If there is a better way to immerse part of the character when traversing water tiles in a tilemap, I would love to hear a suggestion. Thanks.

26. mochakingup

mochakingup

Ahh okay, I was thinking to cover up part of the body with the water, with different sorting order.
    But I guess it won't work with tilemap.

27. mochakingup

mochakingup

On another note, is there something weird going on with the forum?
    I noticed that there was a new post few days ago, I didn't have a chance to reply at the time.
    Now I'm back and wanted to reply, but the post is gone.
    It has happened a couple of times now.

28. _Eyesgood_

_Eyesgood_

I figured out what I need to do to get the mask to work. Thanks for the tip! As for posts, it could be that someone simply deleted their post for whatever reason. I don't see the post you are referring to either.

29. mochakingup

mochakingup

Glad that you got it working!
    Also, yeah, I suppose that could happen.

30. ARK-07

ARK-07

Hiho,

Why Is that happens after die animation i can not execute an idle animation? My game should have character prefab that dies and respawns anywhere else but after i played die animation on it can not idle anymore

31. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hi @ARK-07
    I'm not sure what you meant by that.
    What happens exactly with the idle animation?

32. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hey everyone,

We've just updated Character Creator 2D to version 1.73
    Here's the changelog for v1.73:
    • Added hex color code input in color selection
    • Added input field and reset button on body sliders
    • Fix: file path save and load bug, if the project's name contains "Assets"
    body slider input.gif

We also made a new video, as the old one is quite outdated by now.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  33. mochakingup

mochakingup

Aand another news,
    Undead Pack is currently 50% off as part of the Unity 2020 Reboot Extended Sale until the end of September!

upload_2020-9-25_13-8-27.png

34. Sfbart96

Sfbart96

Hello guys,

I didn't see in the documentation how to import the created character into a new project. I have tried to export prefab as a package but when I import it it says that prefab has missing scripts. Can you guys help me with the right way to do it?

Thank you!

35. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hi @Sfbart96
    You need to also install Character Creator 2D in your new project, because the prefab still needs images, shaders and some scripts from the package.

36. _Eyesgood_

_Eyesgood_

For those who are interested, I just wanted to post some progress on my 2D survival game, Survive And Thrive. I am using this asset for my characters. I just completed some work on adding water depth and swimming.

https://surviveandthrivegame.blogspot.com/2020/10/simulating-water-depth-with-animations.html

About swimming, @mochakingup would you consider modifying the swimming animation to show arm swings like standard swimming? The current animation looks more like floating in air rather than traversing water. Some arm swing would be much more realistic, I think. Thanks for the awesome work you are doing.

37. mochakingup

mochakingup

Looking good @_Eyesgood_
    Thanks for sharing this! Seems like it's gonna be a quite complex and in-depth game.
    Love how you implemented the mask on different tiles!

As for swimming animation, swinging arms might look a bit weird, but we'll see what we can do.

38. Oiler01

Oiler01

Hi, I was wondering if you will be adding any Zombie specific animations for walking and attacking?

Thanks!

39. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hi, we have no plan at the moment
    But that actually makes sense, especially for the Undead Pack.
    We'll put it into our todo list!

40. Oiler01

Oiler01

I haven't looked into it yet but is it hard for users of your product to make their own animations? Is there a guide somewhere that would explain the right way to go about it?

Thanks

41. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hi @Oiler01
    There is a part in our documentation (http://bit.ly/CC2Ddoc) for adding or editing custom animations.
    You need to be familiar with Unity animation system, tho.

Oiler01 likes this.
  42. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

hi, I see you guys can change the colour of character parts. Which script is doing it? Is there a technique to do this? I saw they do this in skull girl video game. Thanks for helping out.

43. zhepama

zhepama

hi.A character has 14 batches.. This will be a disaster on mobile platforms.. I don’t want to export the spritesheet, is there any good solution?@mochakingup

44. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hi @Gamingbir
    I don't know how they did it in Skull Girls, but in our case, we use a custom shader with a texture mask to determine which area is colorable.

---

Hi @zhepama

Unfortunately, this is unavoidable with our current setup.
    Depending on your game, you have to choose to either use CharacterViewer or export it to spritesheet.
    If you only have a few characters showing at one time, then it shouldn't be that big of an issue.
    If you don't need the runtime customization, then you can save some performance with using spritesheet.
    Or maybe use CharacterViewer for the player character, and use spritesheet for NPCs?

On another note, have you tested it on your target platform?
    Mobile devices are really powerful these days.

45. mochakingup

mochakingup

Szaruga likes this.
  46. zhepama

zhepama

@mochakingup
    HI.Sorry, my English is not good, I used Google Translate, I hope I can express it accurately.

The 14 drawcalls shown in the picture above are not wearing any equipment
    If you wear clothes, gloves and other parts will reach 30-40 drawcalls.
    If the current mobile phone has about 300 drawcalls, it will be Drop frame.

Armor, boots, cape, gloves, helmet, pants, skirt, weaponL, weaponR because they use different materials, they interrupted the batching of parts using skin materials.

The order of armor, boots, cape, gloves, helmet, pants, skirt, weaponL, weaponR can be higher than the order of skin
    1. This will not interrupt the skin batching
    2. The left leg, right leg and waist will be automatically batched because they all use pants
    3. The shoes and other materials will also be batched automatically

Note: When the character is not wearing any clothes, the left hand gloves, weapons may have sorting problems...
    frame debugger:https://vkceyugu.cdn.bspapp.com/VKCEYUGU-imgbed/1c9c10e1-0f28-419e-80a0-1fa642fed8ab.gif (This picture is a bit big)

The head part uses the face material, and they can actually be batched together. You only need to merge the nose, mouth, eyes, eysbrow, and hair parts of the texture while the game is running.

If this is improved, a character wearing all parts will only have a dozen drawcalls...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  47. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hi @zhepama
    The different materials are what make the customization possible.
    And as you said yourself, the current sorting is ordered in a specific way so that it doesn't have any issue with most characters.

As for now, if you are concerned with drawcall, then exporting to PNG is your best bet.

However, we understand that the current situation is not ideal.
    Among other things, this is one of the things that we're constantly looking to improve in the future.

48. LordComfy

LordComfy

49. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hey @LordComfy
    The contact form on our website works just fine.
    A lot of our customers reached out to us using the form.

What do you mean there's no way to contact us?
    We've listed the link to this forum (and here you are) both in the description of our asset and in the documentation.
    We've also listed our email address in said documentation.

Now to the issue you're having,
    Seems like there are some incompatibilities with the render pipeline.
    I'd like to know more, so we can do further testing.
    Which version of Unity are you using? And which version of URP is installed in your project?

50. LordComfy

LordComfy

I didnt see the forum link to be honest and when i tried to use the form it wouldnt allow me to submit just said an error occurred.

Unity version: 2020.1.8f1
    Universal RP: Version 8.2.0 - July 13, 2020
    HD RP: Version 8.2.0 - July 13, 2020
    RP Core: Version 8.2.0 - July 13, 2020