Search Unity

Character Creator 2D - Editor & runtime character customization

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mochakingup, Feb 23, 2018.

1. squallp

squallp

HI, i dint find enywhere else to post this question. Im new to character creator 2D and Unity. I created two different characters i character creator 2D and added them to my scene, creted different scrtipts for movement. Everything works fine for both characters but it shouldnt :D I noticed, in animator editor, that all transitions and parameters from character one are copied to character two and whatever I change on transitions is automaticly changed for both players. I instantiated two diferent animators but I have noticed thet they use same controler CC2D. How could I separate them.

This is instantiation of animator for player one:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class player1 : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     private Rigidbody2D myRigidbody;
    8.     private Collider2D myCollider;
    9.     private Animator myAnimator;
    11.     private bool skok; // parametar da li je skocio
    12.     public int visinaSkoka = 3;
    13.     //public double duzinaSkoka = 0.56; //trajanje skoka
    14.     public int korak = 4;
    And here is for player two:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class player2 : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     private Rigidbody2D myRigidbody;
    8.     private Collider2D myCollider;
    9.     private Animator myAnimator2;
    11.     private bool skok; // parametar da li je skocio
    12.     public int visinaSkoka = 3;
    13.     //public double duzinaSkoka = 0.56; //trajanje skoka
    14.     public int korak = 4;

2. krischan777

krischan777

Hi! I want to ask if there is a best practice tutorial / documentation for making new animations. I found the small instruction in the documentation, thats a starting point but hm maybe there is more detail to find somewhere? I would need something like hold and carry stuff, throw stuff, push and pull buttons etc. and can image to make it by myself. But there are many ways to solve this. What can you recommand? Or do you plan more animations by default in the next updates? Or is there a pool on more user want to share new animations maybe on discord by example? Kind regards from vienna

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    Raymond1469 likes this.
  3. mochakingup

mochakingup

Oh wow, I guess I did miss a lot here in the forum.
    Sorry for the inactivity here!
    I'll try to catch up with all the posts, but if any of you need a quicker response, feel free to drop us an email!
    Again, sorry for the late reply yall!

---

Separating the random function does seem like a good idea!

We did find a similar bug, but on the Lower Leg and Foot, we've fixed it in the latest version (v1.90).
    Upper Arm should work, did you have any custom animations?

---

This is true. Most 2D games are done this way (simply flip the characters). As you've said, it would require double the animations. It's a lot of effort for a very little impact on most players.

4. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hi!
    Thanks for your kind words!

It does export all CC2D assets on build.
    You can remove any assets that are unused by your characters, unfortunately, there is no automatic way to do that yet.

Glad to hear that!

---

Hi, there's no direct way to do that yet,
    But there's a workaround for that: you can replace the CharacterViewer object in the UI scene, with a saved prefab of your character. (Make sure to check for missing reference though, and backup the scene before modifying it)

Yes! Just delete the "Fantasy" folder under the "Parts" and "Sprites" folders.
    Then make sure to hit this menu: "Window/Character Creator 2D/Refresh Parts & Add-Ons" to refresh all the parts.

---

Have you imported it into your project?
    Here's a link on how you can do that, if you're unfamiliar with it:
    https://support.unity.com/hc/en-us/articles/210112873-How-do-I-download-an-asset-I-have-purchased-

5. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hi,
    Unfortunately, this is not supported at the moment.
    You'd need to combine the images yourself using any image processing software like Photoshop.
    Then add it as a new part in CC2D.

---

Hello, it has always been like this since the first release of CC2D.

---

Unfortunately, this isn't that simple and not possible at the moment.
    Switching weapons side means you'd need double the animations, and increasing the complexity of the animations.

6. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hello!
    Generally, different Animators can share the same controller and still animates independently at runtime.
    If you need different animator controller for your characters, you'd need to duplicate the animator controller in your project window, and then assign each controller to your characters.
    Is that what you're looking for? Sorry if I misunderstood your question.

---

Hello!
    There's nothing specific about the animation in CC2D. We use the built-in animation system in Unity.
    This video might be useful if you're unfamiliar with the system.

We animate the character by modifying the rotation and position of the "Bone_" game objects.
    I'd recommend playing around with rotating the bone objects and experiment with the poses. Then once you've got more comfortable with it, you can try putting it into animation.

There might be more animations in the future, but it's not our highest priority right now.

krischan777 likes this.
  7. ATeam_Production

ATeam_Production

First question: We have purchased Character Creator 2D and several thema assets for it.
    We work with Game/Level Designers who like to use the web tool (https://mochakingup.itch.io/cc2d) to create potential characters (they don't like to use Unity if they don't have to) for our game. After that we have to create again the same character in the tool with Unity.

Could you eventually create an easy way to give us a solution about that. Peharps a generated code in web editor that we can reproduce or load in the tool to have the same result?

Second question: What is the next step for Character Creator 2D?

8. squallp

squallp

You gave me solution. To refer to your statment "different Animators can share the same controller and still animates independently at runtime", im expiriencing that when I create transition it is created for both players on scene and whatever I do it changes animation for both characters. Maybe something due to lack of my expirience.
    P.S. So far Im very pleased with character creator 2d

9. Szaruga

Szaruga

Before that, I did not use any hats, so I did not notice. I'm going to have to create a function that changes the hair along with the hat, that's a lot of combinations, but it has to be done - because it looks really terrible right now.

10. helloroy

helloroy

11. jdiperla

jdiperla

Cyborg pack was just released. Purchased!!!! What pack are you working on next? Any plans for wings and tails?

12. DexEze

DexEze

IT seems your doc's website is not working http://bit.ly/CC2Ddoc

Also when importing into a 2D project I got errors about not being able to find included packages. com.render.pipeline and com.render.pipeline.universal.

13. mochakingup

mochakingup

hello, that link points to google docs,
    please check if you can access google docs.
    here is the full link for the documentation:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-2myJe7zy6jmImRGheBWq7l_bqAtTnhTYiy_T9RRukM/

are you trying to use the 2DRP shader?
    which version of Unity are you using? and which version of URP?

14. wanatching

wanatching

Hi I've been playing around with my purchased CC2D I found Lion in helmet section and I thought it would be cool if the head is lion and I can combine other helmet parts to lion. Such as adding glasses or hat to lion helmet. Are there any ways to work around this? or I can do it in Unity? Thanks!

15. wanatching

wanatching

. Are the packs that are discounted on Unity store for only Unity package or also Standalone?

16. TheRalpha

TheRalpha

Are we allowed to use the character creator in game? For example, if I'm making an rpg, can I modify the Character Creator script to fit my game so that players can generate a custom character?

17. mochakingup

mochakingup

hello it's not supported unfortunately, if you are comfortable with editor scripting in Unity, you can add your own category, but it's undocumented.

the one in Unity Asset Store only for Unity version.
    the standalone version only available from itch.io

yes!

18. wanatching

wanatching

Hi, are they any ways to make a gif smoother? In the standalone version I export sprite PNG to make GIF but the walk animation length is 1.08333 I try 50-60 target FPS with 0.02-0.03 sec per frame but the GIF is still slow, how can I fix this?

19. mochakingup

mochakingup

helloo, we don't have GIF export.
    this would depend on what app you use to create the GIF from the PNGs.
    there should be some kind of frame rate setting that you can set on that app.

20. hezlym

hezlym

Hi.. Just bought the Character Creator from the Unity Asset Store today. But when I import into the Unity 2018.4.28 editr and go to the Windows > Character Creator > Create Character.. I got a black screen with only the base character.. no icons, button sor sliders and say in the inspector many missing scripts.. tried this on 2 Mac machines.. the same.. can anyone help?

Attached Files:

21. mochakingup

mochakingup

Hi there,
    CC2D support Unity 2019.4 or newer, as written in the details in Asset Store.

22. jdiperla

jdiperla

Are you currently working on any new packs for CC2D? I am always looking forward and anxious to purchase more of your packs!

23. metawas

metawas

Hello, thank you for creating this awesome asset! I was wondering, would it be possible for you to add a meditation animation into the asset?

24. emresadol

emresadol

hello, why can't I load this in the browser? What do we need to do for this? When we load it in the browser, the saving system does not work, can you help? not working save png..

25. pbb33

pbb33

Hello, I'm wondering if there's a way to determine the size of a generated character? I'd typically do this by attaching a Renderer component to the game object and accessing its "bounds.size" but it looks like the character is made up of several Renderers (one for each body part) instead of just a single one. I've looked into adding up all the heights/widths of these Renderers but I don't think there's a way to get an accurate value that way. I also tried adding a Box2dCollider to the character but its "size" value seems to be using different units than what I need (my scaled character is ~2 units tall but the collider has a height of ~11.5). Is there any way to get an accurate size directly from a CharacterViewer?

26. pbb33

pbb33

For anyone who comes across this in the future: I was able to determine the size by using the collider's "bounds.size" (not the "size" like I was trying before). However, I'd still like to know if this is possible without having a collider?

TheRalpha likes this.
  27. safaairaq100

safaairaq100

It's great work , but if add any method to add custom animation using (2d animation rigging in unity) to make us create our custom animation , thank you.

28. unity_WyAUK6T8-7tiVQ

unity_WyAUK6T8-7tiVQ

@mochakingup youve created something amazing! Just one thing that I need is a lip sync feature. Like the rhubarb Unity tool. I will donate to your project today in exchange for this feature! I need it for my project. Thank you!

rtester65 likes this.
  29. rtester65

rtester65

Hi I was wondering how hard it would be to add tooltips for the color swabs so color blind people could know what colors they are looking at. Also are you still working on this?

30. jdiperla

jdiperla

Any new updates or dlc's for character creator 2d in the works?

31. TheRalpha

TheRalpha

Sometimes I get an error where I'll load a character model from a JSON or modify a character model during runtime and the character's eyes close and are stuck being closed. Does anyone know what causes this?

Edit: It specifically changes the eyes to Base 05.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
  32. Cparthur

Cparthur

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but can someone help me - I'm trying to use this at runtime to let players create their own characters for use in my game. The resulting character is exported as a prefab. In the unity editor, I've already created a prefab with the default name and attached colliders, rigidbodies and several scripts. When running the game in the editor it's fine and the newly designed prefab is used in the game and functions correctly. The problem is that when you build the game and try to run it that way, it doesn't work and uses the prefab that I used as a template in the editor.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction as to what I've done wrong? I'm a total novice at Unity and so am not making things easy for myself, I'm sure. Many thanks

33. Krnitheesh16

Krnitheesh16

"Serious Problem on Memory Optimization Menu"
    Hi, when I disable the memory optimization it removes the "Texture" and "Color Mask" references on all Parts.

Any Idea or solution to rectify this issue?

Thanks

34. Krnitheesh16

Krnitheesh16

I found the bug and I found the "Solution"

upload_2022-10-10_19-55-25.png

By Adding:

[FormerlySerializedAs("m_texture")]

Attribute over the variable solved the Issue.

35. CystemCV

CystemCV

Thank you for giving us the answer friend

36. CystemCV

CystemCV

Anyone know how to make the lit shaders work?

37. Muskrat_Madness

Muskrat_Madness

This is my first time trying to use Unity, so I may be missing something obvious here. I bought this on the Itchio store and I'm having trouble figuring out how to install it. I've created a new project and tried to import it using Window > Package Manager and clicking on the plus sign. It's not recognizing the package. Do I need to crate a particular type of project to do this? Thanks.

38. Mixxit

Mixxit

any chance there is a duster/long jacket type asset addon for this?

39. jifangliang

jifangliang

How to walking/running/sprinting to cast skills/attacks?

40. Pal100

Pal100

Hello,
    I am having an issue when trying to fade out character color during an animation.

Under the animation tab, where you can play and create new animations. Fadeing out colors, f.eks for die animation dos not seem to work.

You can add the property for Tintcolor or Skincolor in the aniamtion tab, but when you try to change the color values from f.eks 1-0 for the alpha value or the other color parameters, nothing happens. This should fade out or change the colors during the animation, depending on what you choose.

If you do this on the "Character Viewer (Script)" component on the character it works fine. But not in the animation tab.

Adding events, and setting functions at the beging and end dos not work ether. You can f.eks select the functions "get_TintColor ()" or "RepaintTintColor ()" in the functions dropdown menue and set them at the begining and end of the animation, and it dosn't seem to make any difference.

Dos anyone know a solution for this?

41. aityomeike

aityomeike

Hello Dear Mochakingup i just bought this package from unity. and i found out that i could have gotten both the unity and stand alone on itchio. i didn't know. please can i still get the standalone while i am learning the unity own. please as i had tested the itchio type before and i really liked it.

42. Absinthe23

Absinthe23

Hi @mochakingup. To what extent can we use the creator in our games? I'd like to provide a reskinned cut down version in-game so the player can make thier own character. I'd ensure nothing created can be used outside the game. Thanks & nice work.