Search Unity

Character Controller vs Rigidbody

Discussion in '2D' started by amprost, Dec 3, 2020.

1. amprost

amprost

So I'm having a beginner growing pain. I've used rigidbody for most of my previous projects up until now. I recently started using an asset for creating 2d characters which comes with a basic character control script which uses character controller.

The issue I'm seeing right now is that the character controller does not move in the Y axis as a rigidbody does. This means that my character will not climb slopes as it moves along the x axis.

Below is a screenshot of 2 characters. The robot comes from the standard asset pack and uses rigidbody and the other comes from the 2d character asset pack and uses character controller. I want to use the character controller to learn more about it but I'm not sure why it won't change y values as it moves along the x axis. Do I need to change the scripting that I have for the basic character control to allow it to change y axis values?

Attached Files:

2. Cornysam

Cornysam

Basically, Rigidbodies deal with physics and the Character Controller (as far as i know), does not. So if you want to deal with irregular slopes and pathing, using physics to push rigidbodies is best. If everything was perfectly flat with no slopes, a character controller would be fine.

To sort-of answer your question, yes you could change the character controller script to increase the Y value as the X changes, but if the slope changes at all it will not work well.

amprost likes this.
  3. amprost

amprost

That's what I figured. Thanks!