Search Unity

Character Controller & Tilemap Collider 2D

Discussion in 'Physics' started by rvenson, Jan 21, 2018.

1. rvenson

rvenson

Is there any issue about Tilemap do not work with Character Controller?

I have a character controller in a scene and tilemap collider 2D simply do not work. My character stills interacting normally with box or other colliders.

PS.: Kinematics body don't interact with Title colliders too

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  2. thaller99

thaller99

Same here, any news?

3. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Can you please be more specific. What is "Character Controller"; your own script or some third party script? What do you mean by "issue"?

Again, you need to be more specific on what you mean. I am assuming the TilemapCollider2D is static i.e. it's either not attached to a specific Rigidbody2D or attached to one set to be Kinematic/Static. Kinematic bodies never produce a collision response. Also, Kinematic bodies by default do not produce contacts. You can turn on contacts (but not collision response) by using this.

I think you need to describe your problem more accurately because TilemapCollider2D are no different than any other collider, the underlying physics system knows nothing of these component types. A TilemapCollider2D produces the same polygon primitives that the PolygonCollider2D does.

4. fredmeister77

fredmeister77

This is an older question, but for anyone who came here from Google like I did, I couldn't get the "Character Controller" component to work with the Tilemap Collider 2d + Composite Collider 2d no matter how much I tried. The Character Controller is supposed to work with collisions, but no dice for me.

I ended up just removing the Character Controller from my player object and adding a Rigid Body 2D component (with 0 gravity, and Z axis frozen) and a Box Collider 2D set to the right size. Worked like a charm.

It was based off of this video:

5. Divent9212

Divent9212

Any fixes?

6. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Fixes for what? This is a very old post you're necroing without a specific question.

The only CharacterController by Unity is 3D physics. The 2D team have not created a 2D CharacterController and if you look at the posts above, the questions asked were not even responded to. These are 3rd party character controllers created in tutorials and demos.