Search Unity

1. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Let us know a bit about your interests, and if you'd like to become more directly involved. Take our survey!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Don't miss out on the Unite LA Keynote for the latest information from Unity! Set a reminder!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Character Controller Move with a moving parent in 2018.3

Discussion in 'Physics' started by gambitsunob, Oct 14, 2018.

1. gambitsunob

gambitsunob

I'm having some issues with using a Character Controller and calling Move in 2018.3. Trying to figure out if it's a bug, if I'm using it wrong, or something else? It did work in 2018.1 but I couldn't find anything googling/searching.

A few states here.

A) Fixed Update Platform - Fixed Update Character Controller
    Calling CharacterController.Move causes it slide off even though it's parented, it's like the parents transform no longer affects it. If I don't call CharacterController.Move, it starts working as I expect it to and follows along, I just can't move the player capsule then.

B) Fixed Update Platform - Normal Update Character Controller
    Doing it this way, the Character Controller follows along with the Platform. Though this doesn't seem like the correct solution. The move should be called in the Fixed Update.

C) All other ways the controller slides off the platform and doesn't use the parenting.

So my real questions is. Is this the intended functionality, and I should be applying the motion of the parent (platform) in my CharacterController.Move call going forward, or is this a bug?