Search Unity

Feature Request Character Controller Demo (features and documentation)

Discussion in 'Physics for ECS' started by Opeth001, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Opeth001

Opeth001

Hello Everyone,

I just discovered the CharacterController physics demo from Unity's Github and it's pretty cool and time-saving.

sadly it's not documented (maybe im missing something).
    can you please put a documentation on that Demo and maybe add some features such as dashing, swimming, flaying, climbing .... ?

if anyone knows how to implemented these features, please concidare sharing your ideas (if possible ;) )

Thank you!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  2. Opeth001

Opeth001

Has anyone ever tried the official Unity character controller?

3. TheOtherMonarch

TheOtherMonarch

I made a CharacterController partly based on the demo. I will say this the demo is super convoluted. Removing the event system and the pushing away of ridgebodys reduces the code by 2/3. Even after that it is still not simple but at least approachable.

Opeth001 likes this.
  4. Opeth001

Opeth001

did you have to do stuff like dashes and fly?
    to me it looks like we need to handle the unsupported state.

5. TheOtherMonarch

TheOtherMonarch

I added sprinting, AI collision avoidance and path following.

Opeth001 likes this.
  6. JMPM-UNITY

JMPM-UNITY

Unity Technologies

bb8_1, xVergilx and Opeth001 like this.
  7. philsa-unity

philsa-unity

Unity Technologies

8. suraakay

suraakay

I have been learning ECS for 3-4 days 10 hours per day. Still not able to move my character :) It is not easy to take a sample from other projects. Maybe ECS is ready to run but there is a significant problem about tutorials. If we have to watch "unofficial" videos on youtube. Why did not you say that you have had no preparation for tutorials. I appreciate your effort for what you have done so far about ECS however we can NOT learn. Even for the most basic thing takes a few hours to comprehend. I have no chance, I will be waiting for Rival character controll to be integrated entites 1.0.

9. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I found the current samples easy to learn from. I just used the package documentation and worked things out from there. I dont think they are lacking at all.

The fact you are watching videos on youtube says a lot. You are not going to learn a new coding paradigm well from a youtube video. Try using the package documentation. This has everything you need: https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.entities@1.0/manual/index.html

Luxxuor likes this.
  10. IsaacsUnity

IsaacsUnity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback, the Rival Character Controller is now compatible with Entities 1.0. You can find the asset, documentation and samples attached in this link.