Search Unity

Character controller asset selection

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SpyrosUn, Jun 27, 2019.

1. SpyrosUn

SpyrosUn

I already own all 3 big character controllers of the store (Ultimate character/Top down engine and Game Kit Controller), but I haven't yet worked with any of them. I am having some trouble picking which one to use for my next project, and thus i could use the experience of people who have used one or more of them.

The game i am aiming for is a topdown style/3d third person survival/crafting type game. This is what i am currently thinking :

1) Game Kit Controller looks insane in terms of functionality, but the guides/videos/general way it looks seems a bit outdated to me. I know that these are demos, but well, we are humans, and presentation matters :D I don't doubt it's robust though, it's probably really good, but at the moment is the 3rd pick on my list.

2) Ultimate Character looks very polished and what I really like is the amount of integrations. In example, I do already own Behavior Designer as well, and the fact that it can integrate(owned by the same team), is a huge plus. It does look like the whole asset is a bit more about shooters though, not sure about inventory/crafting, although it probably allows for great integrations for most of those things. At the moment it's 2nd on my list, but really close to being 1st. Looks great indeed.

3) The Top Down Engine is currently on the top of my list for this project, I kinda like that it seems a bit simpler, but still fancy, although i could end up being wrong of course. I am not sure how well it integrates with other assets as well, but i can probably work my way around that. AI seems simple and impressive, looks pretty close to what i need, but i still would like to customize. This is where something like behavior designer would come into play.

Now, in all situations, I(and others on my team) would need to customize animations and more importantly add weapons etc (again this is a matter of using other assets as well, but helps to know what works best for others).

Thus, I would be really interested to hear what most people think, especially those of you who have experience with those systems.

Thanks !