Search Unity

Character animation walking/running working but not moving the character

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Kunalz, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Kunalz

Kunalz

Basically what the title says. I am using the Ken character asset and I wanted to test it to see if everything works with the animation and movement of the character. So I tried testing a simple basic walk animation, I made the animator controller, made the script and so when I run the game and press W to move forward, It does change the animation from idle to walk, however the walk animation is being played on the spot and not actually moving the character.

I used the exact same method on a different character model and it worked but for this Ken model it doesn't..

Here is a Video to give an overview:

I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks for you time.

cankirici34 likes this.
  2. Kunalz

Kunalz

Okay, I talked with the devs, and it seems like its because it has in place animation and I need root motion animation. So I looked for some tutorials showing how I can convert it to root motion, unfortunately it requires expensive software like maya/autodesk to change inplace animation to root motion as far as I know.

If anyone knows a free alternative software that can help with in place animation to root motion animation, I would really appreciate it.

cankirici34 likes this.
  3. DeanTheodorakis

DeanTheodorakis

Maya is a 3d modeling software I believe? I've been meaning to check out a free one, but I don't know if it does what you say you need (changing in place animation to root motion), as my goal is to learn 3d I don't know the most yet. But if you want to check out a free 3d program to SEE if it has the option, I know of blender (link to the site). I believe it's also on steam (I had it downloaded there for a while but my computer was ultimately too bad to run it at a reasonable pace).

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Kunalz likes this.
  4. CrazyCGChick85

CrazyCGChick85

I'm a blender user and it is a very decent software and you won't need to use Maya or 3DSMax which are very expensive (im maya trained) I found this for setting root motion in blender